• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Weather looking good so far: 30 day forecast

I went riding around Missouri today. The weather broke and was cooler with thunderstorms. It got to 92 but must of the day it was in the low 80's.

The worst of our heat broke. The best way to put in your tent pegs is with a drill. And carbide bit. BUT, anther way is get some ice, put a fist sized chunk of ice where the peg goes, after it melts the ground will be soft. Nice gradual release of the water. I think we get free ice.

There is a chance of rain, it is so dry it will take over an inch just to fill the cracks in the ground.

Night temps have been wonderful though, so come on down.

Rod

The humid nights in Bloomsburg are what made that one tough. Enough refreshments during the day :drink make the afternoon heat bearable. But hot and humid at night is no fun.

Saturday looks like a scorcher (98*), so would a day trip to the Ozarks be a good idea?

The humid nights in Bloomsburg are what made that one tough. Enough refreshments during the day :drink make the afternoon heat bearable. But hot and humid at night is no fun.

Saturday looks like a scorcher (98*), so would a day trip to the Ozarks be a good idea?
There are lots of places to get wet in the Ozarks.

Switch to MESH! Literally, night and day difference. You'll thank me.

Absolutely - switch to mesh. Makes a huge difference in air flow as you ride.

Just looked at NOAA Weather - Rally week in Sedalia has mid to high 90's predicted for most days.

Good news is: plenty of air-conditioned buildings, water and ice, so see you there.

The arkansas ozarks is having a severe drought.

see map

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_south.htm

Many of the nice streams and creeks I used to dip in are very low and gross. Hotter than hell down there too.

Truman lake is close.

Rod

Yes, I live in joplin and I actually tripped over a crack in the ground, yet we are only at yellow. You folks are RED, dark red in places. It is sad looking down there.

Rod

Current forecast as of July14:

Wednesday, 18
Chance of a Thunderstorm
106 | 77 ??F
Chance of T-storms
Chance of
Precipitation
70%

Thursday, 19
Chance of a Thunderstorm
104 | 77 ??F
Chance of T-storms
Chance of
Precipitation
60%

Friday, 20
Chance of a Thunderstorm
100 | 73 ??F
Chance of T-storms
Chance of
Precipitation
40%

Saturday, 21
Chance of a Thunderstorm
102 | 73 ??F
Chance of T-storms
Chance of
Precipitation
20%

Sunday, 22
Chance of a Thunderstorm
104 | 73 ??F
Chance of T-storms
Chance of
Precipitation
40%

I have other commitments that prevent me from attending this year, but this looks as bad as Bloomsburg. I pray that everyone is cautious.

Last edited:
Absolutely - switch to mesh. Makes a huge difference in air flow as you ride.

Just looked at NOAA Weather - Rally week in Sedalia has mid to high 90's predicted for most days.

Good news is: plenty of air-conditioned buildings, water and ice, so see you there.

Just be aware that mesh can quickly lead to dehydration if fluid intake is not sufficient. It is extremely effective as evaporative cooling, but the downside is that it can quickly lead to trouble. Replace the fluid lost to sweating/evaporation!

Wow...where's that forecast for, Phoenix?

Weather.com shows:

Wed - 98/76
Thurs - 97/74 with scattered t-storms
Fri - 96/75
Sat - 99/74 with pm thunderstorms

Hot, humid and who cares...we're going to have a good time.

If heat scares you, I hear it's still in the 40's overnight in Alaska.

Just be aware that mesh can quickly lead to dehydration if fluid intake is not sufficient. It is extremely effective as evaporative cooling, but the downside is that it can quickly lead to trouble. Replace the fluid lost to sweating/evaporation!

Good points. Hydration often overlooked.

As for Sedalia weather, not trying to turn this into a "my forecast is better than your forecast," but NASA, many pilots I know and your's truly rely on this:

noaa.gov

No worries about rain for Rally week - but HOT is the operative word if you read thru the forecast.

Take precautions and see you there! :german

Good points. Hydration often overlooked.

As for Sedalia weather, not trying to turn this into a "my forecast is better than your forecast," but NASA, many pilots I know and your's truly rely on this:

noaa.gov

No worries about rain for Rally week - but HOT is the operative word if you read thru the forecast.

Take precautions and see you there! :german

Here is one occasion where I hope I am wrong :boldpurpl

Here is where I got my info on weather:

http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:65301.1.99999

They have been pretty accurate for my area of the country.

Just like the purple thing...

Last edited:

Here is one occasion where I hope I am wrong :boldpurpl

Here is where I got my info on weather:

http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:65301.1.99999

They have been pretty accurate for my area of the country.

Just like the purple thing...

Wunderground is accurate for me also. The latest shows heat indexes:

Thursday
Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain in the afternoon. High of 102F with a heat index of 115F. Winds from the WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. Low of 79F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 50% with rainfall amounts near 0.2 in. possible.
Friday
Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. High of 102F with a heat index of 113F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. Low of 75F. Winds from the East at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Saturday
Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. High of 99F with a heat index of 111F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. Low of 75F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Sunday
Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. High of 104F. Winds from the WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

That settles it, I am buying a tent fan and batteries before I leave.

My tent has a mesh top, I think I will set up the rain fly, then take it off, and have handy just in case. Or I can drag the air mattress out and put on bug spray and sleep under the stars.

after it is dark a while should be able to get some sleep. Oddly enough, high heat and shade make me tired, so I may just nap some. Note remember to pack the sleeping shorts.

Rod

Ah well, having ridden 1700 miles already I'll show up and make the best of it. Which sounds pretty darned good!

I didn't go to Bloomburg last year and I am not going to Sadalia this year due to the heat. Turning a rally into a survival contest by holding it in mid July in one of the hottest parts of the country doesn't appeal to me at all. When the national is held in a cooler location, or at a cooler time of the year Perhaps I will once again attend. Good luck to all those brave souls attending this years rally.

Back