• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Paging Suttie - How was the track day???

R

robert.bantly

Mine is fixed but due to work, can't pick her up until Friday :( She'll be at VIR on 4th and 5th of July for her first track day, though. I'll be spending some weekend time doing some riding to get a few more miles before the track stresses....

I'm here - but delayed

Hi there. I've been travelling - I'm currently in the Dolomites, after having been through the Swiss Alps, and away from emails, etc. I'm riding an 800 GS, which is good, but I wish I had my RR. On the other hand, I am have no pain after 7 days of riding - and long days!!

To answer your question, my track day was great, no issues with the bike at all. Really like the machine. I have ordered new rearsets from Twisted Throttle, which will give me an extra inch of leg room. Easily switch back for track days.

If you haven't ridden in Europe, get a copy of John Hermann's book - the Alps and Beyond. It's even better than he describes. Today I rode 250KM through 7 alpine passes, and I am dead tired. Each pass has about 50-70 hairpin curves. No cops either!!

James

Watch out for the cameras, James. Got a performance award about 8 months later from Italy for doing 93 in a 50 zones on the Gauia Pass. It sure was fun!!! Riding the Alps and Dolomites is a dream come true. +1 on the Hermann book.

I'm in Nevada. Leaving my bike in Reno and flying to Poland next week. See you there.

Holly

From Slovenia

Hi there, Holly. Good to hear from you.

The Alps and the Dolomites were a blast. As was the food.

I just spent 4 days in Austria, doing the Hochalpenstrasse. Great fun as sell.

I'm off to Budapest tomorrow and then up to Poland for a few days before the Rally. I get there on the 18th. Where would we hook up? I think I mentioned I am going to Berlin for an event on the 20th.

Cheers.

Sounds like a great trip, James. I can hardly wait to hear all about it. I'll be arriving at the rally on Wed. the 18th. I'll be camping in the Canadian section. Should be easy to find as it will only be me. At 6pm there is the meeting of the national delegates, which I have to attend so I'll be there. Or you can leave messages with the Brits or Anthony, the lone American. Since I have no facility with languages I hang around with the English speakers.

Holly

Enjoy!

Sadly, no rally for me this year - slight medical problem with kidney stones make the ride to Sedalia not doable. It's minor and will be done soon but having one move on a ride would be very distracting and blow the Zen! Am cleaning/maintaining/thinking about riding now and learning the S1000rr electronics, which I kinda blew off for the track days at VIR. GS and RR both look the best they have in a long time :)

Europe sounds wonderful, it's on the list for someday (after 49 states)...post some of your best pics!

GS Choice

Hey Robert,

What do you think about a 1200 vs. an 800?

I am riding an 800 here and like it, but think the 1200 might be a better choice for me. The 800 gets a bit buzzy at 140+ km. Also like shafts drive vs chain on the 800. I might do some serious LD riding next year - south America.

Comments?

800/1200gs

Hey Robert,

What do you think about a 1200 vs. an 800?

I am riding an 800 here and like it, but think the 1200 might be a better choice for me. The 800 gets a bit buzzy at 140+ km. Also like shafts drive vs chain on the 800. I might do some serious LD riding next year - south America.

Comments?

Everyone's gonna say it - the 800GS is better offroad due to weight/size/maneuverability but the 1200GS/GSA will truly eat some highway. Got a 542 mile day off mine last year with seat pain being the only issue. Hands/arms/legs just fine. I "averaged" :whistle 82mph / 130-135kph on back country Texas Highways and the bike seemed to love it though mpg suffered. If your going to SA the big gas tank on the ADV would be a plus. Also think you'd like the 35" seat height. I'm not small and it feels spacious to me, not oversized. I also enjoy just washing the shaft drive housing now and then :) instead of having to clean and oil it!

Back