• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Yet another issue with my 2012 K1600 GT

R

ricoefamoso

It is obvious from some of the responses I've had in BMW Motor Cycle Owners of America that I am not "well received" yet another post from Ricoefamoso.

My dealer "fixed" my left hand signal flasher several weeks ago. Now ... my windshield will not power up or down unless I hit the button on the dash that opens the GPS mount ... to add insult to injury ... when I do just that ... I can only power the windshield down.

Imagine what this bitch is like when I am in a Florida rain storm?

Second issue ... the left side bag does no longer have a tension strap ... it broke for what ever reason. When I open it ... it drops fully down. The "fabric tension strap is gone".

True ... all of the bs is covered under warranty but ... it is an inconvenience to say the least.

Please ... think long and hard before purchasing a K1600 Gt. I just may have a LEMMON but ... I will go back to an RT in 2013.

I am over all of this.

Sorry to hear you're having so many problems. I personally have had none in several thousand miles. Everyone I know that has one (3 here in my town) and many others on the K16 forum have had no problems.

I will say that you have to be a little careful with the side cases. If you let them flop open you'll eventually break the strap. I always stand in front of the case and let it open against my leg so it can't flop open.

If you read the forums you'll find people who are pretty disappointed with their K16 and people that think they've gone to bike heaven. It's not a bike for everyone. It's not a LT replacement. It's not a Goldwing. It's not a Harley either. People farkling these bikes up with floorboards and highway pegs I predict will move on to something else sooner than later - they bought the wrong bike. These bikes are sport bikes with a minor in touring. It's a bike that will glide effortlessly down 500 miles of expressway in total comfort and then transform into a apex strafing hooligan bike in the twisties for another 150 and leave you feeling like you're not ready to put it away yet. I know that because I just described my ride last Friday.

In 19,000 miles and 14 months I replaced 3 fuel strips, 1 top box tether and 1 brake reservoir cap on my 2010 RT. It was one of the best bikes I have ever owned. I could recount issues with my Triumph Sprint, Moto Guzzi Norge or Ducati Monster and at the end say the same thing, best bike I have ever owned. It's all what you make it and in the end the issues you have had are minor. Perhaps your next purchase should be some cheese to go with that whine.

My only issue so far is that I have no time any more because I can't get off of it, I take the long way home from everywhere.

It is obvious from some of the responses I've had in BMW Motor Cycle Owners of America that I am not "well received" yet another post from Ricoefamoso.

My dealer "fixed" my left hand signal flasher several weeks ago. Now ... my windshield will not power up or down unless I hit the button on the dash that opens the GPS mount ... to add insult to injury ... when I do just that ... I can only power the windshield down.

Second issue ... the left side bag does no longer have a tension strap ... it broke for what ever reason. When I open it ... it drops fully down. The "fabric tension strap is gone".

True ... all of the bs is covered under warranty but ... it is an inconvenience to say the least.

Please ... think long and hard before purchasing a K1600 Gt. I just may have a LEMMON but ... I will go back to an RT in 2013.

I am over all of this.
I think I spoke with you at the Daytona BMW dealer. You had just rode in and I ask you if you have had any problems with your 1600. You told me about the windshield issue. Sorry to hear your still having issues.

MY K1600 GTL won't start

I understand your feelings about your GT. I have a 6 week old GTL that won't start. It is not the fuel, I checked that. It feels like it is not sensing that the engine is cold. It turns over easily but only gives out a pop or two. When it is warmed up it will start just fine. When it has not been run for a day or more I have to beat the poor starter to death trying to get the engine to run. After several tries I can get it to run, but very roughly, by leaving the starter engaged for about 45 seconds as ithe engine tries to get it self sorted out. Then after "running" for about two minutes it seems to run okay and it is ready for the day, assuming that I don't turn it off for over an hour or two. Now the fun part, I have to trailer it 170 miles one way to the dealer, Gina's, in Iowa City, Iowa. What fun. If I have to leave it, picking it up later will be the 7th trip there in the last two months.

I understand your feelings about your GT. I have a 6 week old GTL that won't start. It is not the fuel, I checked that. It feels like it is not sensing that the engine is cold. It turns over easily but only gives out a pop or two. When it is warmed up it will start just fine. When it has not been run for a day or more I have to beat the poor starter to death trying to get the engine to run. After several tries I can get it to run, but very roughly, by leaving the starter engaged for about 45 seconds as ithe engine tries to get it self sorted out. Then after "running" for about two minutes it seems to run okay and it is ready for the day, assuming that I don't turn it off for over an hour or two. Now the fun part, I have to trailer it 170 miles one way to the dealer, Gina's, in Iowa City, Iowa. What fun. If I have to leave it, picking it up later will be the 7th trip there in the last two months.

If it quits or won't start on the road, isn't BMW's roadside assistance obliged to get it in to the shop?

Cost Starting

My GT has similar cold starting problems. Coughs and sputters for the first two tries. Then catches and settles down to a good idle. When it is warm, there are no problems. I mentioned it to my dealer and they found no fault codes. Evidently it was bad gasoline. I am suspicious of the dealers evaluation however. I put the same gasoline in my F800GS, an R1200ST, automobiles and no problems at all. Time will tell.

Problems with 2012 K1600 GTL

I am over all of this.

I purchased my 2012 K1600 in August of 2012.
Present mileage is 3,000.

The start switch was defective from day 1, it was quickly repaired.

Occasionally the starter motor will not engage. The starter motor runs, but does not turn the engine.
The dealer states that unless they can duplicate the problem, they cannot replace the starter.
As I am a BMW Automotive Tech (since 1979), I can understand their position.
However this is a Sport/Touring bike, emphasis on the Touring.... so what happens when I am 500 miles from home & 300 miles away from a repair facility?

The shifting on my K1600 is not consistent.
Neutral can be a hit-or-miss proposition.
Up-shifts 1-2 & 2-3rd are the same - sometimes they lock into gear, sometimes they pop back out.
On two occasions when this has happened, it sounded as if the gearbox was about to self-destruct.
There is no correlation between shifting problems and temperature.
I use an electric heater to keep my Sweetheart warm on those cold nights to reduce the wear of a cold start, but this has not improved the shifting.

Starting with the engine cold is fine, but a warm restart requires two or three attempts.

I have read several owners stories of shifting problems, all of which required the engine/transmission to be torn down for BWM to inspect & approve repairs.
This puts the bike down for a considerable length of time.
Some owners, when caught by the "cannot duplicate" trap, have gone as far as installing a video camera on their bike to document the problem.
This seems like a little bit much to have a problem rectified.

Other than these issues, I really enjoy this bike.

Although I have never had an issue in 10K of driving, I feel your pain. This is exactly why I did buy the K1300 (too many potential issues). I hope BMW will get it right and do right by you. I live not too far from BMW NA. If I ever have an issue, I will be knocking at their doorstep if it gets to that. I hope things work out because it is an incredible ride (when working)

My GT has similar cold starting problems. Coughs and sputters for the first two tries. Then catches and settles down to a good idle. When it is warm, there are no problems. I mentioned it to my dealer and they found no fault codes. Evidently it was bad gasoline. I am suspicious of the dealers evaluation however. I put the same gasoline in my F800GS, an R1200ST, automobiles and no problems at all. Time will tell.
I have ridden my GT 7 times in the last 6 months in temps in the upper 20s. Once it was 24 degrees. Each time it has fired right up without hesitation. Then, while I get my gloves on and plug in my heated underwear, I get this attitude from underneath me of "what the heck are you waiting for, let's GO!" It sucks to have a bike you don't have confidence in. I hope you get your problems resolved soon.

The starter bug has bitten me too. The starter whines but no joy. I have learned to bump it into gear then back to neutral. It will then fire up. Explained the symptoms to dealer. There are NO starters in the US. He will speak with his BMW rep today and decide on a course of action. I hope they do the right thing. I have little tolerance for a premium bike maker not taking care of customers. We will see.

I purchased my 2012 K1600 in August of 2012.
Present mileage is 3,000.

Occasionally the starter motor will not engage. The starter motor runs, but does not turn the engine.
The dealer states that unless they can duplicate the problem, they cannot replace the starter.
As I am a BMW Automotive Tech (since 1979), I can understand their position.
However this is a Sport/Touring bike, emphasis on the Touring.... so what happens when I am 500 miles from home & 300 miles away from a repair facility?

Other than these issues, I really enjoy this bike.

This sort of failure is from the spragg clutch that disengages the starter when the engine starts. Replacing the starter motor will not fix anything. Crankcase split time.

Don't let this go.

Rod

Back