• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Rear wheel oil

I??m changing the gear oils. Oil from the gearbox looks like honey. Also the next one. But not the one in the rear wheel. Black/grey color. The plug got some black stuff on it. Very fine, like cream. I can??t recall it??s been like that before, but I can be wrong.
Anybody else noticed that the oil from the rear wheel looks the nastiest, comparing those 3 oils?
95 R100RT 37K km/24K miles
Hans

New gear oil is honey colored. Creamy looking oil has water in it...best to change and recheck to be sure the water has been eliminated. Don't use high pressure hoses around areas of the drivetrain. Black/grey gear oil indicates some abrasion is going on. Generally, gear oil shouldn't darken all that much it doesn't get as hot as engine oil and is not exposed to combustion products which tend to also darken engine oil. Black/grey gear oil doesn't sound too good. If the plug has just some fuzzy stuff, no big chunks of metal, you're probably OK. But keep an eye on it.

i??ve only used oil with BMW specs. Maybe water entered the vent, top plug?
I??ll check again in the fall.
Hans

how many miles are you putting on between now and "fall"

oil is cheap, if and when I have a question, Id put a few hun on it, then change it again. ( cheap compared to an overhaul )

if a serious question, or a milky trans, just run it around the block a few times to heat it up running through every gear several times, and change it again
( a milky trans I would run some light oiul in it, run it through the gears on a lift, change again, then out oround the blocks a few times and change again. water is not our friend here) )

i??ve only used oil with BMW specs. Maybe water entered the vent, top plug?
I??ll check again in the fall.
Hans

if fluid itself LOOKS creamy/frothy (kinda like a caramel or chocolate milkshake), then that is a sign of water having gotten in to it. if it FEELS creamy/frothy (which is petty much what i heard you saying), then that is more indicative of a moly-type additive having been used.
water is very unlikely to have entered thru the vent cap unless it has gotten loose/worn.

All oils changed a year ago. Maybe 3-4K km driven since. For gear I used Mobilube HD gear oil SAE 80W-90. Bel Ray hypoid gear oil, SAE 85W-140 is now going in.
While we are at it. I got oil for the engine from the local dealer here in Trondheim today.
The label says; ?¿Original BMW HighPower Oil SAE 20W-50?¿
He claimed that??s what BMW use on the old boxer today. It got a picture of a modern boxer on the bottle. So they use the same oil? He says it??s mineral oil.
Label also says ACEA A2 API SG
Am I good to go?
Hans

All oils changed a year ago. Maybe 3-4K km driven since. For gear I used Mobilube HD gear oil SAE 80W-90. Bel Ray hypoid gear oil, SAE 85W-140 is now going in.
While we are at it. I got oil for the engine from the local dealer here in Trondheim today.
The label says; ?¿Original BMW HighPower Oil SAE 20W-50?¿
He claimed that??s what BMW use on the old boxer today. It got a picture of a modern boxer on the bottle. So they use the same oil? He says it??s mineral oil.
Label also says ACEA A2 API SG
Am I good to go?
Hans

The engine oil you stated has the correct rating and viscosity.

For the gear oil any GL5 rated SAE 80W-90 hypoid gear oil is fine.

The most important thing is to make sure the rating is GL5.

I do not bother with multi grade gear oils with a wide viscosity range. BMW never used it on new bikes and never called for it on airheads that I am aware of. So why use it?

75 or 80x140 is OK in the transmission. It is out of spec for the final drive.

Last edited:
I got that oil from here;

http://www.motoren-israel.com/produ...ckage-2V-Boxer-from-1981-WITH-oil-cooler.html

So I figured it should be good. My riders manual doesn??t differ between gear box, swing arm or the rear wheel. Above 41F; SAE 90, below SAE 80, alternatively SAE 80 W 90.
That??s all I know.
Happy weekend
Hans

Paul knows more about such things in his sleep than I do in my best waking moments. I would follow his advice and only use this synthetic gear oil in the transmission.
The good news is you can buy 80/90 GL5 rating gear oil in any automotive parts location. It is not expensive at all. If it was my bike I would stick to that for the shaft and final drive.

Are you in Europe Hans? Your profile is not filled in but since you are ordering from Israel I am guessing. Motul gear oils are available throughout Europe and are a good choice for our bikes. Or Castrol. Or ... :)

?¿Paul knows more about such things in his sleep than I do in my best waking moments. I would follow his advice and only use this synthetic gear oil in the transmission.?¿
I??m aware of that, and will use it only in the gear box. I bet it??s a super oil at that, at least hope so.
So how is life in Texas, PG? Too warm for me, I spent 3 years in Wichita Falls.
Hans

So how is life in Texas, PG? Too warm for me, I spent 3 years in Wichita Falls.
Hans

Too warm for us too. We are traveling on the bikes for the summer. We went to Hyder, AK and are now back in Iowa following the RA rally in Colorado. We will attend the MOA rally in Sedalia and head back to British Columbia after the rally.

That??s correct. EuroNatoJointJetPilotTraining. I was a student in 86/87, instructor in 95-97. Being an instructor there was my best 2 years in my 14 year RoyalNorwegian Air Force career. That??s how I ended up with my 95 R100RT. Bought it brand new in Ft.Worth Jan 96. BMW of Ft. Worth, 816 S. Sylvania. Do they still operate?
I initially bought a 89 Inheritage Softtail. Looking over all the receipts, I figured total milage was 3 X what the seller claimed. Might have been an honest mistake. He was a retired tech from the base. So I got my 11 grand back without a fuss.
Instead I got a brand new R100RT, with helmet, gloves, etc., for less, think it was 10.4.
Hans

A bit OT

Hans -

We probably never crossed paths, but I had flight data recorders on the T-38s there in about 2000. I also had recorders on the RNoAF F-5A/B models in the early to mid 1990s. The aircraft were at Rygge, outside Oslo. A bit of a tragedy at one point...one of the recorder aircraft was performing an airshow and the pilot performed a loop with not enough altitude...the flight data showed him pulling the nose up, stalling, nose down, then up, stalling...ran out of altitude. I understand his family was in the crowd that day. A shame...

I had a great time in Norway, sprinting across the country one day to see some fjords and then back to town. Loved the country!! I was tall, blonde, and could say Tusen Takk well...but probably was still seen as a foreigner!! Ha!

Now back to your regular gear oil thread... :dance

Back