• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another "Left Turn Death" here in Maine....

Cagers are extremely distracted these days, whether they have passengers or not.
On the cell phone, texting while driving, playing with their "SYNC" system, swapping out CDs or playing with an iPod, eating while driving, drinking and spilling while driving, smoking and dropping ash in the lap while driving, conversations (heated at times) with passengers in the front and rear. The list could go on and on. Accept the fact that the person behind the wheel is oblivious to you as they have too much going on in the cage.

I personally have adopted the "Ride like you are invisible" attitude. I am a daily commuter on my GSA and as big as the bike is, I cant tell you how many times a week that someone doesn't see me. Lights on, hi-vis jacket ... it doesnt seem to matter. The cagers that are driving at the same commuting times... are off work, heading home and are in a decompressing stage... sort of zoning out and trying to wind down on their way home or the next event in their life.

I've been cut-off, merged in to, rode up on from behind, and just about any other violation you could think of. I think I'm still here because I ride defensive and ride like i am invisible. Don't fall prey to the idea that you have the right of way. Anytime you approach an intersection or far that matter a vehicle that potentially could cross your path at the last minute should always be met with ... slow your speed and cover the brake preparing for a last minute stop. Remember you are invisible.

My apologies for the soap boxing... but riders have to accept that they damn near dont exist in the eyes of the cager. You are always at the disadvantage with 2 tons of steel.

Ride safe my friends and ride like you are invisible.

Middle aged rider, 17 year old SUV driver. No the rider didn't have a helmet, yes the 17 year old driver was inexperienced but that is not what I'm here to discuss.

Is it just me or does there seem to be a higher percentage of these accidents? Sure, more cars on the road, more accidents but......

When I took my Team Oregon refresher they went over some stats and the #1 fatality between a bike and car is where the car makes the left turn in front of the bike.. largely happens when the bike is tucked behind a car and the turning car doesn't see it, assumes the passing traffic (a car or SUV/van) was the last vehicle and then begins to turn.

This is why I:

a) always ride well behind the car in front of me
b) always ride on the left side of the lane (more visible to on coming traffic)
c) wear Hi-Viz cloths/helmet
d) am EXTREMELY cautions and try to make eye to eye contact with the turning car

Is this a guarantee of safety? no, but it's not going to hurt my odds..

RIP to the rider and my condolences to his family.

Don't issue drivers licenses until age 25. That's when the adolescent brain begins to function properly. Ban cell phones and any other kind of communication devices when a vehicle is in motion and enforce the ban vigorously.
I could go on about the dumbing down in our schools and parental failure to teach accountability but I'm just wasting band width.

Back