Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Another "Left Turn Death" here in Maine....

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Registered User xp8103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,551

    Another "Left Turn Death" here in Maine....

    Middle aged rider, 17 year old SUV driver. No the rider didn't have a helmet, yes the 17 year old driver was inexperienced but that is not what I'm here to discuss.

    Is it just me or does there seem to be a higher percentage of these accidents? Sure, more cars on the road, more accidents but......

    Here's a thought.

    Daytime running lights. Up until DRLs became prevalent, GENERALLY the only lights you saw coming at you during the day were on bikes. If you saw a light, it was a bike. Now, when you look ahead down the road, ALL you see are lights, day and night.

    DRLs were supposed to make driving safer. Did they have an unintended consequence?

    Just a thought....
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

    Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

  2. #2
    Registered User 39520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    isola di specchio
    Posts
    225
    Years ago an insurance executive was asked what change in traffic laws would benefit his company the most. He did not say speeding or raising the minimum driving age or re-testing or drunk driving or cell phones - he said banning the left turn against oncoming traffic.
    Ub
    05 K12S . 86 R65

  3. #3
    Moondog
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    912
    It is a proven fact that turns in front of riders is the number one cause. That's why I have Hi-Vis jacket extra lights up front in triangle pattern and vigilant in those situations, which is always. It's just dangerous. I can see why some give it up especially with wifey and youngin's.

  4. #4
    OldBMWMaster JDOCKERY132445's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pleasure Island. NC
    Posts
    968

    Rick had all of these

    Quote Originally Posted by moondog View Post
    It is a proven fact that turns in front of riders is the number one cause. That's why I have Hi-Vis jacket extra lights up front in triangle pattern and vigilant in those situations, which is always. It's just dangerous. I can see why some give it up especially with wifey and youngin's.
    My friend Rick had all of these on his BMW when a woman turned in front of him in Anderson, SC. he died the next day. He was ATGATT; it did not help.

    The problem is nothing more than people driving while distracted. I have a buddy who drives an ambulance and people turn in front of him all the time.

    THEY ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

  5. #5
    Rpbump USN RET CPO Rpbump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,003

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    My friend Rick had all of these on his BMW when a woman turned in front of him in Anderson, SC. he died the next day. He was ATGATT; it did not help.

    The problem is nothing more than people driving while distracted. I have a buddy who drives an ambulance and people turn in front of him all the time.

    THEY ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION.
    Amen
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

  6. #6
    Registered User adventurexpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Huntersville, NC
    Posts
    59
    Cagers are extremely distracted these days, whether they have passengers or not.
    On the cell phone, texting while driving, playing with their "SYNC" system, swapping out CDs or playing with an iPod, eating while driving, drinking and spilling while driving, smoking and dropping ash in the lap while driving, conversations (heated at times) with passengers in the front and rear. The list could go on and on. Accept the fact that the person behind the wheel is oblivious to you as they have too much going on in the cage.

    I personally have adopted the "Ride like you are invisible" attitude. I am a daily commuter on my GSA and as big as the bike is, I cant tell you how many times a week that someone doesn't see me. Lights on, hi-vis jacket ... it doesnt seem to matter. The cagers that are driving at the same commuting times... are off work, heading home and are in a decompressing stage... sort of zoning out and trying to wind down on their way home or the next event in their life.

    I've been cut-off, merged in to, rode up on from behind, and just about any other violation you could think of. I think I'm still here because I ride defensive and ride like i am invisible. Don't fall prey to the idea that you have the right of way. Anytime you approach an intersection or far that matter a vehicle that potentially could cross your path at the last minute should always be met with ... slow your speed and cover the brake preparing for a last minute stop. Remember you are invisible.

    My apologies for the soap boxing... but riders have to accept that they damn near dont exist in the eyes of the cager. You are always at the disadvantage with 2 tons of steel.

    Ride safe my friends and ride like you are invisible.

  7. #7
    Registered User xp8103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,551
    I've always tried to remind myself to assume that every car around me is going to hit me right up to the point at which it doesn't.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

    Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

  8. #8
    Small road corner junkie pffog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Posts
    2,122
    IMHO, nothing to do with DT lighting. It has to do with incompetent people being issued licenses. No more drivers ED in high school, do to liability issues and budget cuts, incompetent parents teaching (or should I say riding around with their kids JUST long enough for them to get a license), feeling of safety with 94 airbags, ABS, back up warning etc, which makes the consequences of not paying attention seem minimal.

    It will not get better until we toughen up training and licensing requirements.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    993
    this week, I have asked a very young left turner with the cell phone to her ear if she understood how close she came to killing me. I asked her if she knew what defending herself from manslaughter cost. All I got was a blank stare. Then there was the woman throwing her cigarette butt out the window while texting. screamed at her. I avoided all of them (this time).

    Rod

  10. #10
    Registered User Brian-NC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    IMHO, nothing to do with DT lighting. It has to do with incompetent people being issued licenses. No more drivers ED in high school, do to liability issues and budget cuts, incompetent parents teaching (or should I say riding around with their kids JUST long enough for them to get a license), feeling of safety with 94 airbags, ABS, back up warning etc, which makes the consequences of not paying attention seem minimal.

    It will not get better until we toughen up training and licensing requirements.
    +1 on poor training. The current state of our driver training in America is SHAMEFUL! To the contrary, go try to get a drivers license in Germany. MUCH more comprehensive and I hear the test is very difficult.

    As a LEO, I'd have to say that distracted driving is the damnation of this country. Texting and being sooo constantly connected to our "smartphones" is an epidemic in todays world. Now, they have started installing internet search engines in the dash of new cars. "Bing" at the touch of your fingers while hurdling down the freeway at 80 mph...just what we need
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

  11. #11
    Amateur Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by xp8103 View Post
    Middle aged rider, 17 year old SUV driver. No the rider didn't have a helmet, yes the 17 year old driver was inexperienced but that is not what I'm here to discuss.

    Is it just me or does there seem to be a higher percentage of these accidents? Sure, more cars on the road, more accidents but......
    ...
    When I took my Team Oregon refresher they went over some stats and the #1 fatality between a bike and car is where the car makes the left turn in front of the bike.. largely happens when the bike is tucked behind a car and the turning car doesn't see it, assumes the passing traffic (a car or SUV/van) was the last vehicle and then begins to turn.

    This is why I:

    a) always ride well behind the car in front of me
    b) always ride on the left side of the lane (more visible to on coming traffic)
    c) wear Hi-Viz cloths/helmet
    d) am EXTREMELY cautions and try to make eye to eye contact with the turning car

    Is this a guarantee of safety? no, but it's not going to hurt my odds..

    RIP to the rider and my condolences to his family.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Diamondhead, MS
    Posts
    1,054
    Don't issue drivers licenses until age 25. That's when the adolescent brain begins to function properly. Ban cell phones and any other kind of communication devices when a vehicle is in motion and enforce the ban vigorously.
    I could go on about the dumbing down in our schools and parental failure to teach accountability but I'm just wasting band width.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •