• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Got the Dreaded ABS Red Brake Failure Light 2007 R1200RT

on my 2007 R1200R w/68,000 + miles i have the same brake failure problem. GS911 shows intermittent power to ABS pump. i am a bit Leary about removing and sending the pump to modules masters, not because of the quality of there work but because i have never bleed the brakes on a linked system before. so for now i am just riding it as is but i have positioned my GPS so it blocks my view of the warning light on the dash, thus making me think all is good :)

Not the issue the earlier R/RT's had with multi-point bleed whizzy brakes, the pump from '07 R's and up bleed at the calipers only. I replaced one about a year back and it went very smoothly. Mentioned in another thread about needing a long shank torx to remove the bracket and pump.

Is this the code you have seen? it was the brush issue and MM sent the unit back, bench tested and sealed. Installed, bled,rode. Light and fault gone,

20130429_212608-M.jpg

i am not positive if that is the fault code, although i think it is. i will hook the GS911 up tomorrow and see and then report back here.

EDIT: with wind chill values hovering around -20 the past few days i will wait until it warms up a little before i go out into my unheated garage to hook up the GS911

Last edited:
Not the issue the earlier R/RT's had with multi-point bleed whizzy brakes, the pump from '07 R's and up bleed at the calipers only. I replaced one about a year back and it went very smoothly. Mentioned in another thread about needing a long shank torx to remove the bracket and pump.

Is this the code you have seen? it was the brush issue and MM sent the unit back, bench tested and sealed. Installed, bled,rode. Light and fault gone,

View attachment 43027

Did you drain your brakes prior to removing the ABS module?
Also, was there any trick to getting the plug off. Mine is not coming easy and I don't want to break it. I did pull up the tab.

I drained the front bar reservoir to stop the gravity drain once I removed the lines. The connector came off easily, just make sure it is getting clearance to completely disengage. Unless all the way in release mode,it's not coming off I recall.

Back