• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Austin Texas to Portland OR

tthouses

capt. paul
Hi, im headed out from Austin TX up to Portland Oregon next week. Plan is to hit Bryce Canyon and then northwest through Nevada. If anyone in that area has a place i could camp out or suggest where to go give me a shout.
Thanks in advance
Paul
tthousesaustin@gmail.com

Make sure you bring your rain gear. You just "might" hit some rain in OR. Couple weeks ago spent 4 of 6 days riding in the wet.

And Hwy 50 accross NV is a nice ride. Here's a site dedicated to that route.

http://byways.org/explore/byways/2033/

A friend & I rode it (Hwy 50) last year, going eastbound. Not much traffic and there are some miles between gas stops. But some pretty nice views and at one point we were buzzed by a pair of Navy F/A 18's.

Camp;

I always stop in ELY,Nv(US50). at the KOA there, great grass sites:). US93 out of there going North is a USA Landmark Route. National Geo did a whole story on it(US93) a few years back. It starts way South in Wickenburg,AZ and goes deep into Montana. Many cutoffs for Oregon along there. The "Oregon Trail" being one, if you're into history. Camping is not hard to find all along these areas. Enjoy, Randy:thumb

hopefully you will hit oregon starting wed, thurs adn friday. Its the only dry days predicted. Our wetest June in many many years. thought I heard that if we get 3 more days of rain, it will be the wetest June on record. this morning one of the ski slopes said they are still having snow and still open....come on......this is june
come on sunshine

rain is then predicted to hit sat and sunday again........oh..yipeee :banghead

oh well.....beats tooo dry and forest fires or riding in 100+ weather.......well maybe

but agree on the fact you will see some real pretty country sadly some roads have gas few and far between, while going though some parts of eastern oregon, might want to gas up long before you hit reserve

+1 on the rain we're having in the Great Pacific Northwet this year. Especially on the west side of the Cascade mountains. +1 also on the scarcity of gas stations in Nevada and Eastern Oregon. Pretty easy to be running on fumes in the desert country...

Have a good trip....

Cheers,

US50/gas;

The famed US50 has gas at least every 75 miles, no worries there, but watch those North/South routes, not as heavily travelled in Neveda. Just know the towns out West are separated by larger desert terrain, nothing in between most of them. 75 miles might not sound so far and you may find yourself filling more frequently because if the vastness out here. Don't get caught between towns:)Randy:thumb

The famed US50 has gas at least every 75 miles, no worries there, but watch those North/South routes, not as heavily travelled in Neveda. Just know the towns out West are separated by larger desert terrain, nothing in between most of them. 75 miles might not sound so far and you may find yourself filling more frequently because if the vastness out here. Don't get caught between towns:)Randy:thumb

Very true about Hwy 50 (Fallon native here) but some routes in Nevada come VERY close to exceeding the range on an 11S. The original poster doesn't specify his bike. And some places (like Rachel, NV) that had stations no longer have gas available. The stretch from Alamo to Tonopah had me running much to close to empty a few years back. LOL

Cheers!

(Boy, do I miss those wide open DRY highways of my home state.)

Back