• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Scenic Routes to Sedalia Rally

intowilderness

Michael Bruns
I would like to suggest two routes to Sedalia from the East, St. Louis metropolitan area.

1. Longer Scenic Route: Starting from Alton, Il., 30 min. North of Downtown St. Louis. Alton is a 175 year old City of historic significance on the Mississippi River (estimated time with no stopping time included is 7-10 hours.

Starting from the Main buisiness district of Alton next to the grain storage facility

You will head up the Great Scenic River Rd. Hwy 100 following the river and beautiful bluffs to the interesting river town of Grafton Il. (There are some fun shops and Drinking locales.) (About 4-5 miles past Grafton is the beautiful Pere Marquette State Park with camping, hiking and overlooks of the meeting of Ill. and Miss. Rivers.) (The meeting of Miss. and Missouri River is about 10 miles south of Alton on Route 3. There is actually a monument that you can go atop to see the two rivers come together.)

Through Grafton and up about another mile is Brussels Ferry. Cross over Brussels Ferry on Hwy 100 W of Grafton

Follow Ill. River Rd. , County Hwy 1 to Centerville,

Golden Eagle Country Store (stop there to check out) go left on Golden Eagle Ferry Rd (should be signs to Ferry along the way)

At Crossroads go right on Mississippi River rd

Left on Ferry Rd to Golden Eagle Ferry

Cross river and Follow Rd to Left on B follow signs as B will turn at times

Rt on Hwy 94

Follow this to Old Town St. Charles (worth driving down and checking out Old Town on Main St.

Will need to take one of the streets west back up to 94 like 1st Capitol Drive

You will follow Hwy 94 through the suburbs of St. Charles County for about 10-12 miles

Once you cross over Hwy 40-64 the road turns beautiful, windy and twisty (enjoy, but also keep a watchful eye for traffic. Many neat towns like wineries at Augusta, Marthasville. When you hit hwy 19, mid-Missouri it is worth going left on 19 to Hermann

Continue on 94 to South on Hwy 54 North of Jeff City

In Jeff City take 50 West to Sedalia

2. Faster Scenic Route

Start in Alton go over the Lewis and Clark suspension bridge (appealing to see) on Hwy 67 You will be crossing over the Miss. River and in a couple miles the Missouri River.

West on I-270 towards Kansas City

West on I-64 hwy 40 across the Missouri River again to Hwy 94

South or left on Hwy 94
the road turns beautiful, windy and twisty (enjoy, but also keep a watchful eye for traffic. Many neat towns with wineries at Augusta & Marthasville. When you hit hwy 19, mid-Missouri it is worth going left on 19 to Hermann

Continue on 94 to South on Hwy 54 North of Jeff City

In Jeff City take 50 West to Sedalia

You can also take I-64 out of St. Louis and follow the rest of the route.

Please print a map of the route to clear up any confusion.

Have fun and maybe I will see you on the road or at the Rally.

Michael Bruns

At the very least...

Ride to Arrow Rock; go/walk in.. look around (take a break; eat/snack/drink)
depart to National on state/county roads.... about 55-75 miles depending on
route; YOU WIN!!!!
Its a little gift for why we ride... if you go that is. Welcome to MO!!!

This is getting interesting. Should be a great trip, and a super area to visit. Now for some weather we can enjoy. How is the "Local Beer"? Should be drinkable. Sounds like a strong German area. Any recommendations?

Thinking about these routes but only one thing I'm not to sure about. I'm traveling 700+ miles to get to St. Louis(12hrs.). OK. Now it's going to take 7-10 hours to get to the Rally from St. L. ????? Map Quest is what I'm using and it's not that good. Is there anything better? When I go to a rally I like to take day trips to see the country. Seems like a lot of county to see from St. L.

Thinking about these routes but only one thing I'm not to sure about. I'm traveling 700+ miles to get to St. Louis(12hrs.). OK. Now it's going to take 7-10 hours to get to the Rally from St. L. ????? Map Quest is what I'm using and it's not that good. Is there anything better? When I go to a rally I like to take day trips to see the country. Seems like a lot of county to see from St. L.
It should not take 7 hours to get there. There is a lot to see but more likely the trip is 4-5 hours depending on route.

Thanks, 4-5 hours is NOT bad. Now which route would that be? LOL From Pere Marquette State Park?

It should not take 7 hours to get there. There is a lot to see but more likely the trip is 4-5 hours depending on route.

If you take the long, first route I posted above, I placed a conservative 7-10 hours depending on how you hit the two ferries. If you just miss one or both that could add 30-60 minutes on your trip. If you hit some traffic, that could slow you down. The scenic route I gave you is winding country side, so some may not feel comfortable with the unfamiliar route and need to take it easy. There is no way to make it from Alton, Il to Sedalia taking the scenic route in 4-5 hours, you may get there taking all interstate in five hours.

Just remember when using your GPS, MapQuest or any other mapping program to get "there" from "here". They are programed for either the "Fastest" (based on posted speed limits, etc) or the "Shortest" (based on actual milage). There are no options for the "Most Scenic", "Most Curves", "No Slab" or "Most Fun", thats up to you to find. Go explore and have fun.

If you take the long, first route I posted above, I placed a conservative 7-10 hours depending on how you hit the two ferries. If you just miss one or both that could add 30-60 minutes on your trip. If you hit some traffic, that could slow you down. The scenic route I gave you is winding country side, so some may not feel comfortable with the unfamiliar route and need to take it easy. There is no way to make it from Alton, Il to Sedalia taking the scenic route in 4-5 hours, you may get there taking all interstate in five hours.
I have taken a route very similar to your from Jeff City to Grafton in less than four hours. I followed the south side of the Missouri River to Washington, crossed north and followed 94 to Weldon Spring. Went the direct route to Golden Eagle. It is a total of 150 miles. From Jeff City to Sedalia on 50 is another 60 miles.

Total trip from Grafton to Sedalia is about 210 miles along the scenic route. Riding time is 4-5 hours. All mayor highways it is 190 mile and can be done in 3.5 hours.

I do agree with you. Missing the Ferry's would add time time to the trip as would stopping in St. Charles, the Boone Home, Hermann, wineries, etc. The trip could be stretched to all day and worth every minute.

Thanks for the input. I just my take one of those routes HOME. I don't have to be back home until Tuesday AFTER the rally. My just leave the Pere Marquette State park using some back roads the use "The Slab" to get to Sedalia.

Back