• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Miles per day on seat - stock vs. Russel

If you sit [long enough] in even your most comfortable chair in the house....it will get to your butt in time.

I've had several Corbins they are firm,..but firm means support. Never had any OEM seat that was comfortable.....some are just evil!

Currently have a Sargent on my Roadster,...not perfect, but much improved over OEM.

AFAIC it's all a matter of blood flow, stop get off, create a little blood flow, repeat as needed, on a day long trip.

When younger,..I used to do 6-700 p/day on a regular basis ...just can't anymore, 5-6 hours saddle time is all I want. On 'back-roads' that may mean considerably less miles. On slabs..about 250-300?.........that's enough for me.

I agree

Maybe maybe not. There's alot more that goes into riding 700+ miles than just the seat. Only you can answer this one.

I agree with "bikemike" ....may be the seat or not. I personally like the stock straight seat on the older bikes; you can move around more on them. The newer seats seem to have a pocket keeping you from moving around or slides you up on the tank in the case of my now gone/sold 1150rs.

Seats have never been the problem for me, it was the foot pegs or bars. Once you get them right, your ride will be better.

DW

I have a 2011 r1200gs. The stock seat would make my "privates" go to sleep after 20 to 35 minutes. An Alaska Leather sheepskin pad helped a bit but the problem persisted. I recently bought a Sargent seat and used it on a 6600 mile trip out west over a 15 day period. The seat solved my problem and I have not needed to use the sheepskin cover. I am very pleased with the quality and customer service from Sargent.

Thanks guys for your responses they gave me the courage to go for it. I went from Ashland, Ohio to Denver, Colorado in two days visited friends and made my way home in two days. Two of the days were longer than I would have liked but it made the trip work. My bottom side was fine but other parts sometimes needed to have the kinks worked out.

NEWSFLASH!!!BMW Finally answers the bad seat issue!!

BMW Motorad recently announced that they have hired an expert to address the issue of rider pain resulting from their seats. The Motorad is proud to announce the hiring of Dr. Hilda Von Diesel (Mistress of Pain). Dr Diesel's first order of business is to reorient all of the BMW Girllymen to the joys of pain. In her own words, "Dere ist no such Ting as bad BMW seat, only naughty boys unt girls who need a schpankink!" In her new role, Dr Diesel will conduct" Rider Correction Seminars "which she promises "I vil schtraighten dere little asses out". Dr Diesel's House of Pain can be reached by a link on the Motorad Site. Be sure to call ahead to make an appointment for your Schpankink.

Yet another benefit of owning a BMW Motorcycle!!

Back