• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Miles per day on seat - stock vs. Russel

nevergrowup

Last fall I rode about 550 miles in one day on my R1150RT it had the stock seat and that was when I decided to get a new Russel Day long seat. That was about all I wanted that day on that seat. Will the new seat make it so I can make a one day run of 750 miles?

Maybe maybe not. There's alot more that goes into riding 700+ miles than just the seat. Only you can answer this one.

I never plan on 750 mile days, but sometimes they happen. Russell makes it possible without too much pain for me.

seriously, i can't imagine anything like 550 on the oem saddle from any of the bmw's I've owned. If you can tolerate that, a 2x4 with a nail in it should put you 800 easy

I have the GS, but I put a RDL on it.
The stocker hurt after an hour.
With the RDL, my rear is the one part that is fine after 12 hours in the saddle.
Other body parts were hurting though.

If you get the seat, your butt will be the least of your problems.;)

Sunday, I rode 700 miles on my stock R1200RT seat from Copper Mountain to Vegas. My ass still hurts...

I want a new seat.

John.

'92 K1100LT

stock: Terribly punishing junk which made every minute seem like an hour
Russell: hours can pass with my knees giving me much more concern than my butt. You can stretch your knees while a sore butt shows no mercy and defies any resolution.

How is it that BMW motorcycles consistently (so it seems) install a saddle which creates such hardship and subsequently sends the owner seeking after market solutions. :scratch So, Russell has been excellent for us (two up especially):thumb - Bob

How is it that BMW motorcycles consistently (so it seems) install a saddle which creates such hardship and subsequently sends the owner seeking after market solutions.

I never met an OEM seat from any brand that was pain free.

How is it that BMW motorcycles consistently (so it seems) install a saddle which creates such hardship and subsequently sends the owner seeking after market solutions. :scratch Bob

Mike Corbin once told me that BMW has singlehandedly kept him in business.

:dance:dance:dance

Saturday before last, I did 1575 miles on my stock R1100RS seat.
Didn't really give me a problem.

Ken F

All you have to do with a stock seat is stand up on the pegs while riding now and then. I changed the foam on my 2004 LT seat at about 140,000 miles. Other than that both of my LT's have stock seats. 1200 mile days are no problem for me with the stock seats. My 2000 LT came with a Corbin seat & it seemed good until about 600 miles. Then I had to ride home & my butt hurt for two days afterwards. At least with the stock seat my butt is ok after a short break from riding.

OEM Vs. Russell

I could only go an hour at a time on the OEM. The longest day on my Russell was 1550 miles on my R1200RT, from southern Kansas City Mo to the Canadian Border and back in less than 24 hours.

Stock seat. Had the bike since 2004 new, rode 17,000 so far all on stock. 3 or 4 rides with 500+ miles and one 750 miles all on stock. No butt pain, although for longer than 100 mile rides I put on Alaska Leather.

I think the verdict is in: stock BMW seats work just fine for a small minority of riders. If it doesn't work just fine for you, the search for something much better can be both expensive and elusive.

When I bought my first (used) BMW K75, it came with a Corbin single "gunfighter" seat. My wife asked where she would sit? Called the seller and he had a friend with a Corbin dual seat which he parted with for $100. While my wife quite quickly gave up being a passenger, I found the dual seat much more comfortable for me.

When that bike was totalled, I had the seat and other parts sent home from Wyoming. That same seat is now on my 92 K100RS. (Still fits my butt better than the gunfighter or the original seat which I sold.) When the stitching started to tear, I had a local gal fix the front half with leather for another $100. While I don't ride the high mileages some do, my butt doesn't complain on the longer days.

I understand that Corbin's reputation for quality seats (and service) has diminished considerably in recent years. Too bad. But don't discount the old ones which may be cheap off low mileage bikes.

Comfort is important!

IBA needs a new award- BMW Riders Platinum- for any BMW owner who can do even the basic 1K run on a stock RT seat. My first $300 Yamaha was more comfortable and that was the cost for the whole bike....
Don't own a Russell and can't say I like sitting on leather in hot humid weather but they are available otherwise and well proven by many. I prefer the carefree simplicity of vinyl and use a Sargent with a BeadRider.
Asking for opinions on seats isn't going to be much help- only the owner is going to be able to say with absolute certainty what meets his needs and there are fans of all the major makers of custom or aftermarket seats..

I've done some long-ish days (400-500 miles) and some long-ish weekends (900+ miles) on both stock BMW and Corbin saddles. Corbin doesn't impress me as a serious long distance seat, mine's as hard as a rock. We just did a 3000 mile trip on the stock seat of my K1200RS. My GF initially said it was the most comfy seat she'd sat on yet (out of an 88 R100RT, a 93 R100RS, and an 88 K100RS-with a Corbin), but I'm not sure how she feels after this past trip?

Considering kicking out for an aftermarket seat, but what's up with the BMW Comfort Seat?

Stock seat

I did my first SS 1000 earlier this month on my stock RT seat but I cheated and used an Airhawk. No butt or leg issues at all. Got a ride in appointment in Sept for a Russell though.

My last bike came used with a Russell - I purchased in in NE Pennsylvania and rode it back to NC - 11 hours with no saddle sores, pain, or back problems. When I purchased my RT (used) it was two hours away. By the time I got home I felt like I had done three rounds in a boxing ring - pain from neck to thigh. I found a Russell on Craig's list for my bike and bought it. Though it was not created specifically for me, it was the best purchase I have done in a long time. Shortly after the purchase spent a day ride to the BRP and was fine.

Thank you Russell!!!

i'm riding the oem seat on my 04 gs without problems as well. 55k on the odo, many 700+ mile days.

are you guys telling me I'd never have to stop if I had a better seat??? ;-)

Back