• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Final Drive

EMSimon

No longer a member here
I am a little confused and could use some help:

I want to buy a spare final drive for my rear drum brake 1978 R100S.
The ratio of the unit on the bike is a 32:11
I have a line on a great condition 32:10.
What will the effect be?

Will the bike be faster or slower at the same rpm??

The 32/11 FD is a 2.91:1 ratio. The 32/10 is a 3.20:1 ratio. That is a 10% difference in gearing

If you were at 4000 rpm with the 32/11, you'll be at 4400 rpm with the 32/10.

Acceleration will be a little quicker and gas mileage might be little lower with the 32/10. That is the trade off for running slightly higher rpm per given road speed.

And, unless you swap out your speedometer for one with the proper ratio (or get your existing one converted to the new ratio) then your odometer will also be 10% in error (too high) and your speedometer reading will be in error by similar amount.

And, unless you swap out your speedometer for one with the proper ratio (or get your existing one converted to the new ratio) then your odometer will also be 10% in error (too high) and your speedometer reading will be in error by similar amount.

does that mean 10% more than the error that it seems airhead speedos already have

Thank you all. I am familiar with the ratio calculation and all. I just wasn't sure which one would result in higher vehicle speed at the same rpm or lower rpm at the same vehicle speed. I am totally amazed about the number of different ratios that BMW offered on the bikes.

My R100 has the most accurate speedo of any motorcycle I have owned. It is less than 1 mph off at an indicated 60 mph.

Is that the '81 R100? Doesn't that come with the 85mph speedo? If so, those were touted as being very accurate.

It really must be an exception! There was a study a few years ago about the deviation of speedos and BMW was one of the worst. Ducati and Harley Davidson instruments were the most accurate.
One of the reasons is, in Germany it is governed by law that a speedo can not be showing less than the actual speed. That's why all manufacturers calibrate to the safe side.
An officially verified and calibrated speedo by a qualified calibration service will have a max of 4% deviation. +4% that is.

BMW released a bulletin showing that the maximum permissable speedo error should be 10% of the actual speed +2.4 mph. The reasons given were to compensate for the negative tolerances in tires sizes between manufacturers, electric speedometer indications, and other factors. In the end, as you say, the displayed speed must never be less than the actual speed.

There was a study a few years ago about the deviation of speedos ....
One of the reasons is, in Germany it is governed by law that a speedo can not be showing less than the actual speed. That's why all manufacturers calibrate to the safe side.

I wonder if mine is a real anomaly? I recently purchased a GPS and discovered my speedo read quite low, 55 indicated is 61 on the GPS and it gets worse as you go faster. Can these be re-calibrated?

Can these be re-calibrated?

Are the ratios on the speedo and final drive compatible? It's unusual for the speed to be wrong so much in the direction you described.

Yes, they can be recalibrated. There is a link in the Resources and Links speedometer section that discussion this. Also, any of the speedometer/gage repair places also listed in that section can do recalibration.

Back