• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Leather...or textile?

at the end we all need to be comfortable with what we wear, literally and mentally. Came off the bike twice back in the days and leather saved my skin (and the suit was still usable). Yes the guys in shorts or jeans and t shirt...ask them to run down the street and take a belly dive onto the asphalt and see how they react, that would be a 10-15 mph spill max...

switched to leather and I live in Florida ! no heat issue if it's the right design, material and quality. Same with safety, I had a custom fit 2 piece made by www.alne-leder.de last year, Kangaroo and all the best protectors build in. Fits like a glove which also means that the protectors will not move out of place during impact, hard to accomplish with textile. Leather is hydrophobic treated and will not soak up water. Kangaroo leather is much lighter then regular leather while over 100% more abrasion resistant. Very comfortable even on the longest trips. Yes I will still wear rain gear if needed, no big deal. Cost me about 2k but my skin is worth it.
Why would there be a difference between a racer and touring or street riding ? a fall is a fall, racers have to be comfortable and not get hot ...

Is there a USA dealer for ALNE products

maybe next year

i've been wearing text' the last couple a few seasons, and happily, but someday when I have a wad o' money burning a hole, I'm curious about some of the new leather riding gear. I know Aerostitch has one purported to be cool in the heat, warm in the cold and possibly waterproof as well. I think BMW also makes "comfy" leather duds.

...'cause it looks buh-dass!:rocker

Harley riders dress like pirates, BMW riders like armadillos.:brow

Yeah - not so much

i've been wearing text' the last couple a few seasons, and happily, but someday when I have a wad o' money burning a hole, I'm curious about some of the new leather riding gear. I know Aerostitch has one purported to be cool in the heat, warm in the cold and possibly waterproof as well. I think BMW also makes "comfy" leather duds.

brow

So the perforated leathers offered at a very steep price by Aerostich don't quite seem to work as advertised. Two years ago a riding pal of mine wore his to Utah in July and he nearly passed out from the heat - the ventilation is not up to the ad copy. Mesh with Armor turns out to be a better - thought not as neat looking - solution.

Racers wear leather, on the race track when they are racing. What do they wear on the street?
I only ride on the street.
The race track is a rather different environment than the street. And so is the effort for racing.
There is no question that some of the man made products perform better than natural products.
dc

And they have umbrella girls for when they're stopped. I usually don't.

Is there a USA dealer for ALNE products

sadly no, I go to Germany a couple times a year and had it done at the shop. They will do it while taking your own measurements and sending them in, I know they have sent some suites to the US before. Send them a email and see what they say. I would assume that someone will make a custom suit here in the US as well. Mine has a "touring cut" for a little more upright position and not as tight as a race cut.

me: leather pants and tex jacket... but jacket's getting way too old so looking for a new (or new to me) jacket .... leather.

Mary: all armored leather

qualifying note: we also have mesh jackets with armor and while much cooler it feels so much less capable in a spill. With an older K1100 we take our heat with us as well :laugh - Bob

Back