• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Leather...or textile?

Leather is heavier, hotter, more expensive and requires a separate rain suit but looks much cooler and, with equal armor, is better protection. Within the 50-90 degree temperature range, I normally opt for leather. Above or below, textile.

Leather is heavier, hotter, more expensive and requires a separate rain suit but looks much cooler and, with equal armor, is better protection. Within the 50-90 degree temperature range, I normally opt for leather. Above or below, textile.

Exactly!

Voni
sMiling

Kevlar from motoport.com

Not much of a contest in the "looks cool" category

main.php

VansonCSRXfullFront.jpg

So leather with armor protects better than the textiles designed for such protection, like kevlar & certain nylons? Honest question, no controversy here.

There is a wide range of qualities with leather. So, hard to compare w/o knowing which leather quality you are talking about. Also, there is the visibility question, and I feel this is very important. I'll stay with Motoport!

my choice

I have a leather jacket, but I feel safer with the armor in the BMW Boulder jacket.. boots are leather however, (Wolverine, Made in USA) and work perfect for motorcycle.

And the BMW Summer 3 pants that zip out to shorts are quite comfortable for motorcycle pants.

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,001
Racers wear leather, on the race track when they are racing. What do they wear on the street?
I only ride on the street.
The race track is a rather different environment than the street. And so is the effort for racing.
There is no question that some of the man made products perform better than natural products.
dc

Interesting looking jacket... I know it says "CycleSport" on it, but what model is it?

And I know there's a reason alot of these jackets cost $400-700+, I just don't know what the reason is.. .. . I'm not buyin' the you-get-what-you pay-for argument; there's plenty of competition in the rag trade.

attachment.php

Racers wear leather. 'Nuff said.

pete

Every one is going the same way in racing! They only ride for a short time.
After over 50 years of riding and wearing every thing imaginable, I now oped for an Aerostitch.

Texile

Back in the day it was leather.... now with the times changing I am opting for textile.... why? Lighter, breathes better, waterproof, more versitile... nuff said... :nyah

I like the looks and feel of leather, but textile is more practical for rain protection and cooler in summer. So I split it... leather pants and textile jacket.

Textile.. for all the reasons given above, and the ability to have one riding suit for all my riding, year-round (I ride from around 30F-100F..)

Plus I'm WAY over how I look.. that ship sailed a long long time ago. When I ordered my last 'stich from Rider Warehouse the order girls were having problems sizing me. I finally emailed Andy, who called and we discussed the fit.. once I explained what I looked like:

Penguinmayor.JPG

He had no problem fitting me.. :wave

switched to leather and I live in Florida ! no heat issue if it's the right design, material and quality. Same with safety, I had a custom fit 2 piece made by www.alne-leder.de last year, Kangaroo and all the best protectors build in. Fits like a glove which also means that the protectors will not move out of place during impact, hard to accomplish with textile. Leather is hydrophobic treated and will not soak up water. Kangaroo leather is much lighter then regular leather while over 100% more abrasion resistant. Very comfortable even on the longest trips. Yes I will still wear rain gear if needed, no big deal. Cost me about 2k but my skin is worth it.
Why would there be a difference between a racer and touring or street riding ? a fall is a fall, racers have to be comfortable and not get hot ...

My comment on racers wearing leather was only to make the point that if protection is the only concern, leather is the way to go. Good quality leather, not department store stuff. And racers wear lots of armor inside the leather. Airbags now, too.

That said, I ride in an Olympia AST hi-viz textile suit because I'm willing to make some compromises for comfort, conspicuity, weather and cost over leather's protection. And I cringe every time I see a rider in shorts, sneaks and tank top.

pete

Back