• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Flint Hills Stampede

dadayama

Going to the Flint Hills Stampede in South East Kansas in a couple of weeks...

Originally a friend who told me about it was going to go... but he ended up selling his house in one day and has moved to Colorado...

Has any one been? What should i take? .... thinking of taking a giant lawn chair since i won't be traveling to far from OKC...

Any one going? what should i excpect?

Peter over and out...

Flint Hills Stampede

The Stampeded is a lot of fun. There will be over 120 riders riding all over the Flint Hills.

They limit the Stampeded number based on how many ride leaders there are. They try to keep every group to less than 12 riders (8 to 10 desired). The groups are broken into advanced, intermediate, and scenic. For the most part each group will travel much of the same roads however the speed is different therefore the miles covered in a day is different.

Additionally, the scenic will stay off of minimum maintenance roads. The intermediate will ride a lot of MM roads at a slower pace then the advanced. The advanced goes much quicker with fewer camera stops then the intermediate. They will hit a few of the most difficult MM roads.

In 2007 I lead a scenic ride. After 2007 I lead intermediate rides. This year I'm not sure I'll even make it. They moved the date back and it fall on my anniversary.

Dinner Saturday night is worth the trip and the price. A local church group prepares the BBQ dinner as a fund raiser. It includes home made ice cream.

Here are a few pictures from rides I have lead in the past:

P1020478.JPG

P1000754.JPG

P1000760.JPG

P1020367.JPG

P1020401.JPG

P1000730.JPG

This road is on the Advanced route, it is call Box Turtle.

P1000739.JPG

P1000774.JPG

Those are wild horses in the picture and the dots are the hill are other Stampede riders.

If I can answer any other question don't hesitate to contact me.

Eddie

Reading your post I did not answer all your questions. If camping bring your normal camping gear. I big lawn chair is handy. There is a large building with AC will the food will be served and registration. Restrooms are on site. Showers are a by the lake dam a little distance from the group campground. Some people took a show in the waterfall created by the spillway.

I hope that helps.

That looks like a great time!

And if that's what you like to do, please consider the GS Giant Gypsy Tour just before the rally. More info is a click away on the link below!

Very nic;)

I GET to do some of that on my WAY to Oark,Ark this year. Of course I come from the far West:). Any ya'll know more about NTexas/Oklahoma byways too? Similar stuff I look for, always. I've not mapped my route to OARK yet, but its all about those pics above:). Randy:thumb

Great Eddie...!

I just read your post and saw your pics right before i have to go to bed.... How in the heck am i going to sleep now.... i'm ready to go....!!!!

Thanks for the info... !!!

Pedro over and out

I GET to do some of that on my WAY to Oark,Ark this year. Of course I come from the far West:). Any ya'll know more about NTexas/Oklahoma byways too? Similar stuff I look for, always. I've not mapped my route to OARK yet, but its all about those pics above:). Randy:thumb

Randy,

The Gypsum Hills around Medicine Lodge West of and the Flint Hills between Council Groves and Eureka, KS are both worth exploring.

Here are a few pictures of the Gyp Hills (Red Hills):

Took this picture in the Flint Hills on the way to the Gyp's:

P1010367.JPG

Red Hills:

P1010398.JPG

P1010434.JPG

P1010440.JPG

P1010437.JPG

P1010418.JPG

Go to Busters in Sun City for lunch or at least something to drink:

P1010427.JPG

I wanted to report back, that I had a great time. What great country roads that part of Kansas has... saw some amazing scenery and kooky little towns!

It really was a good time and the folks were great, as they usually are in this part of the world... My ride leader and the really most of the folks were on there dirt bikes, but my little GS kept up with them (and actually i could have passed them)... there were some BMWs and KLRs plus a couple other of the bigger bikes... I don't think any one had any trouble...

I would recommend this to anyone... I have some folks I'm going to try and bring next year for the scenic route and hopefully get them interested in some more adventurous riding.

Back