• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Is my new Shoei X-11 too tight?

jwetering

I just bought a Shoei X-11size Medium helmet from a man with a round head. He bought it new and 45 minutes later decided that the pressure point on the back of his head was too great.

When I put the helmet on, I can feel no pressure points but the helmet fit is very snug, especially on the crown of my head and on my cheeks.

It's worth noting that the helmet I have been using up until this time is a "low-cost" M2R helmet which I felt was fitting, if not a little loosely, then not as snugly as I think a helmet should. It is a size M as well.

The crown fit I can deal with - I have no hair - and it's comfortable enough. The clamping on the cheeks though might be a problem, but I don't know maybe it's supposed to be like that. The Shoei size chart certainly says that I should be wearing a M. I wear a 7 1/4 hat.

So the question for you all, who have certainly worn more M/C helmets that I have...is it normal for cheeks to be pushed up and in by a helmet or should the padding only just make contact?

Sorry for the subjective question but I think your experience/opinion will help me.

I found this on the Shoei website - it's in the manual also:

3. Expand the helmet opening by pulling outwards on each chinstrap, and slide your head into the helmet. Pull the chinstraps only, not the chinstrap covers, as pulling on the covers may rip them. If the helmet is not tight, it is too big for you. If you are unfamiliar with helmets you may be reluctant to pull the helmet down, as it may feel too tight. Even if the helmet is difficult to put on, please use the smallest helmet possible. The helmet should feel snug.

Check that the top pad presses on the top of your head.

Check that the cheek pads press up against your cheeks. When you open and close your mouth, you should drag your teeth along the inside of your cheeks.

According to this, the helmet fits as intended.

Still interested in opinions though!

thx

Sounds correct. I will say that helmets like shoes do "break in", over time either your head or the helmet conforms to feel less snug.

I would say it's ok. The big problem most people have is getting the helmet too large, and too loose.
Which supposedly makes it useless. In a crash.
It will loosen up.
And supposedly if there is any looseness to it, in a crash, it will pop off.
Not good.
So I say you are ok.
As long as there is no pain or blisters, or anything like that.
dc

I had an X-11 a few years ago, it was snug and tight at first, great after a few months until I tossed at 5 years old.

Thanks people.

Sounds like I'll be ok. I tried it on again, and I am strting to feel more comfortablle. I think that when it pack out it will be just right.

Blisters though eh? Yeah, that would be too tight I'd think. I'm nowhere near there!

Cheers I think I'll go riding ! (waits for rain to stop - never does...because it's Vancouver)

Modified interior

So before anyone freaks about the title of this post...

My HJC IS Max in XL is a little too snug with the JM speakers inside so that my ears feel like they have been caught in some sort of animal leg trap after an hour. When I add sunglasses, it's worse.

So I took everything out, cut off a small strip of plastic around the perimeter of the cheek guard where the speakers sit and reassembled after lightly rubbing the interior foam a bit to wear it in.

Completely different feel now. Comfortable and tolerable.

Moral of the story: it doesn't matter at all what should be. If its uncomfortable, it'll be distracting leading to carelessness and bad things. Do what is necessary without major modification. If you're like me, I can't afford new expensive helmets very often and have to get by.

Here we have little rain. But do we have HEAT!

Not sure which is better....I suppose it's hard to die from being exposed to too much rain...unlike heat, so I suppose I shouldn't complain.

That said...It's been the coldest wettest June on record here, and June is almost always cold and wet. It's almost comical.

Still, it did clear up and stay dry for a day, almost two, at a time last week. On those days the bikes come out in droves and it is genuinely pleasant riding. It's rarely too hot here...ok it's never too hot.

But I digress.

S'far as modifying my helmet goes...I don't disagree that a minor mod is an acceptable mod, but I'd have to be sure first since the kind of mods you're talking about can't be undone.

I'll give it a month and see where I'm at (go away rain).

as long as you don't bite the inside of your cheeks when you open/close your mouth, it is not too tight. You should "almost" bite the cheeks for the helmet to fit properly. If you are biting, most brands sell multiple sized cheek pads, not sure with Shoei, but seems they would have them available.

My 2 cents from my X-11: Wear the helmet consistently for about 2 weeks and the pads should give in a little bit. If it is too snug and uncomfortable, Shoei does sell different cheek pads.... I had the same thought when I bought the helmet, made no changes and is by far the most comfortable helmet I have worn.... seems like it has molded to my head... It is really the same thing with shoes and gloves.... same principle... Just wear it.... :groovy

Back