• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helmet Security

Normally I put it in my right side hard case (Micatech Pilot). But when that has stuff in it I use a Masterlock combination cable lock. I think its five or six feet long and the cable looks to be 8mm or so thick. It cost me around $10 at Home Depot. It won't stop the professional thief, but then, nothing will.

That sounds like a good idea. If one of the crimped loops were large enough to fit the other crimped loop through it, you could make a big loop through the chinbar/D ring then attach the smaller crimped loop to the hook under the BMW R1200RT's rear seat. Once the seat was locked, your helmet would be pretty secure. :)

A cheap, but effective method.

Here's one already made for $10, less than $3 on Amazon.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=121357

You want the cable to be about 6' long so you can loop it through the chin bar and then feed it through the sleeve of your jacket and leg of you pants, then hook the end loop to the helmet lock (on an early K) or any other convenient lock.

Most hardware stores that sell plastic coated cable will crimp the ends for free if y ou buy the cable and crimp fittings from them.

:dance:dance:dance

You want the cable to be about 6' long so you can loop it through the chin bar and then feed it through the sleeve of your jacket and leg of you pants, then hook the end loop to the helmet lock (on an early K) or any other convenient lock.

Most hardware stores that sell plastic coated cable will crimp the ends for free if y ou buy the cable and crimp fittings from them.

That's an excellent point. A 20" cable isn't really long enough even for just a helmet. I found an Akita 4' cable for not much more, but that still is probably too short to thread through a jacket sleeve and helmet together.

You're idea of getting a hardware store to make up a 6' cable makes sense. I tried my local Coop/Ace Hardware today, but they wouldn't do the work.

I visited the Yuengling brewery in York, PA last week and wound up carrying my jacket on the tour because I was afraid to leave it laying on the bike.

You're idea of getting a hardware store to make up a 6' cable makes sense. I tried my local Coop/Ace Hardware today, but they wouldn't do the work.

Not a very good hardware store!

If you can't find one, PM me and I'll get one made for you.

Not a very good hardware store!
If you can't find one, PM me and I'll get one made for you.

In my pile of junk I found a 4' plastic covered cable with loops at both end. So it will do until I can find a local hardware store to make up a 6' one.

Thanks for the offer though.

In my pile of junk I found a 4' plastic covered cable with loops at both end. So it will do until I can find a local hardware store to make up a 6' one.

Thanks for the offer though.

That should work, depending on what or where you are going to lock the end to. :thumb

I had asked the same question and one of the responses I didn't see here was a gun lock cable. I think it's a cable that goes through the trigger guard and then to whatever. I still haven't gotten anything.

I had asked the same question and one of the responses I didn't see here was a gun lock cable. I think it's a cable that goes through the trigger guard and then to whatever. I still haven't gotten anything.

I keep one in the face shield cleaning kit in the fairing of my RT.

IMG_1182.jpg

Back