• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 R1200GS Service Schedule

michaellmcc

It's easy to find earlier R1200GS Service or Maintenance Checklists on line. However, my local dealer says that 2012 GS uses a "dynamic" approach based on mileage and conditions, and therefore there is no published checklist for the 6000 mile service.

Have others run into this?

At around 6500:scratch miles, my 2012 GS service indicator just came on and not sure what I should do other than: 1) Change the oil and filter; or, 2) Take it to the dealer and have him connect to diagnostics.

Any help appreciated.

Mike

i also asked my local dealer what the cost of a 6000 mile service is on a R1200R and they said much the same thing.... basically it's going to depend on what it needs... The question I had was "if it needs something, shouldn't that be covered under warranty, if it's not brake pads, oil, etc?" and it's safe to assume at 6000 miles, most of the wear and tare is still going to be good... I guess it gives them an open checkbook to get you in on a $500 service when it's just a glorified oil change or something.

6000 mile = set valves and re-torque the heads. fluids and filters.
this is going to hurt.

What's your basis?

I appreciate the comments about what you think it might need. However, I'm really looking for a factual reference from BMW.

My 600;

At 600m was my last dealer service and it was 300$+ as I remember, GSA1200. At 82000+ now, all self done, since the 600m one... I think th 6000m one is about 400-700$ depending on model and fairing,etc...KLT1200 were the top end ones, labor intensive and non faired, easy engine access bikes much less around 400$. This is general, but close. I have learned the BC(on board computer) will notify you of required dealer attention, beyond basic service. It does this too, as mine did the BC note telling me about my 6000m one, but never again has it spoke:). Warnings(many of'em) are built in, for the most serious issues, including bulbs out!!!!!. !!!! is the indicator, yellow triangle. Some red ones(warnings) exist too for abs, etc....Mine never come on, I'm happy. Low fuel I get the yellow one. Randy:thumb

Close this one out...

I suppose I ought to report the facts as they pertain to me and my 2012 R1200GS.

In March, I had the dealer perform the 600 mile break-in service according to the BMW guidelines. The cost was $258.92.

At 6500 miles, the dashboard indicated "service". I changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter. I then took it to the local dealer and he reset the service indicator. The diagnostic system did not report any alarm conditions or indicate that any other work was required.

The parts for the 6500 mile service that I performed at home cost $93.94 for oil, filter, o-rings, air filter, and a Butler map :).

I purchased a new rear Tourance which the dealer installed for $52.25 incl tax. He did not charge for reading the diagnostic system and resetting the service indicator.

End of story.

Save on air filters;

You probably changed your air filter for no good reason, as it lasts a ton longer than 6500m. One saving tip there. If you live on a long dirt byway, however the air filter may need more serivice. A best buy for those is take the paper one out and replace it with UNI Filter(foam) and cleanable:). More money, but last the lifetime of the bike and better filtration. Just another quick note and $$$ savings. IF you'r buying oil at BMW Dealers, you're paying way too much too. Those folks need supporting and I do, but I have my limits and oil is one. Good luck, Randy:thumb

thanks...

I appreciate the additional comments and generally agree that the air filter change was early. However, some of my riding was on dusty forest roads so went ahead with it. As it turns out, the filter was obviously dirty but by no means completely used up. I figured $23 extra on semi-annual maintenance for a $20,000 machine was not a big deal. I know others may see it differently.

Right now I use BMW branded oil, but realize I can go to something else that doesn't attract such a premium.

Thanks again.

Michael, are you by chance a lawyer? :bolt

But I do agree with you on the filter, for $23, doing it yourself is a no brainer...

Naw...

...just a dumbass engineer who knows there's almost always more than one possible solution.

Blogs are like Speaker's Corner in London - people seem to come out of the woodwork to offer an opinion. My note re the "facts" (in my case) was to put to rest the old wive's tale that the dealer is going to re-torque the heads and adjust the valves at around 6000 miles. I guess it depends...

...just a dumbass engineer who knows there's almost always more than one possible solution.

Blogs are like Speaker's Corner in London - people seem to come out of the woodwork to offer an opinion. My note re the "facts" (in my case) was to put to rest the old wive's tale that the dealer is going to re-torque the heads and adjust the valves at around 6000 miles. I guess it depends...

trust me, as a new R1200R owner, I'm as frustrated as you are at the "open budget" service plans that these bikes seem to have... seems like it gives them dealer room to steal from you.

6K service on my 2011 R1200RT: $600. But think how much I'm saving on gas by riding instead of driving. :brow

pete

Are you certain camheads require the heads to be "re-torqued" at 6,000 miles?

Actually the cam heads don't require a re-torque of the cylinder head bolt unless the head is removed.

Unlike the previous boxer designs (air head, oil head, hex head) there is no re-torque of the heads required at the 600 mi service. The service check sheets and maintenance DVD bear this out. In other words the cam head does not require hear re-torque at any regular service level.

Actually the cam heads don't require a re-torque of the cylinder head bolt unless the head is removed.

Unlike the previous boxer designs (air head, oil head, hex head) there is no re-torque of the heads required at the 600 mi service. The service check sheets and maintenance DVD bear this out. In other words the cam head does not require hear re-torque at any regular service level.

Where can I find the official source for this info?

Where can I find the official source for this info?

That's a well kept secret that you, as an owner, are not supposed to know. You're just supposed to watch for the SERVICE light on your dash and then take it to a dealer. :laugh It's a shame that BMW doesn't just print the maintenance schedule in the owner's manuals like other manufacturers do.

Therefore, you have to:

1. Buy a Haynes Manual:
http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...10001&storeId=10001&productId=55001&langId=-1

2. Or buy a DVD:
http://jimvonbaden.com/JVB_Productions.html

Here are the schedules for camhead RTs, which should be basically the same as a GS except for spoke wheel maintenance:

Attachments

• RT Maint Sched Pg 1.pdf
    25.1 KB · Views: 96
  • RT Maint Sched Pg 2.pdf
    25.1 KB · Views: 34
6000 mile = set valves and re-torque the heads. fluids and filters.
this is going to hurt.

First, on the up to '09's the re torque was on the first or 600 mile service.
Second, it is no longer required on the '10's and up.

Lots of incorrect info is creeping in here.

Back