• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Brake Flush K1300GT

dashbaugh

I just finished a brake flush on my '07 R1200R. There sitting beside it, is my '09 K1300GT, which also likely needs a flush. I do most maintenance on the K except valves, but have not attempted to flush the brakes. How complex is the brake flush on the K1300GT?

David

Go to the Hex Head DYI forum and look at the brake flush - just as easy

Here's the link - http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=36364

Used to have a 1300 but flipped it for the GSA before it was due but seriously nothing complicated

Thank you sir!

I have a large vac for oil changes but I do not have the smaller unit. I was hoping I could pump the brake fluid with the hand and foot levers. I guess I will be investing in a small vac pump. Thanks again.

David

I was watching Mike at Anderwerks bleeding the systems on my "new" ST, and he was using their shop pressure bleeder to vacuum black residue out of the clutch master cylinder.

I didn't know they could do this with them.

Brake fluid change

On my 2006 Rt I was able to do the brake fluid flush/replacement without a vacuum pump. The hand and foot levers will do a fine job of moving the fluid. With the servo assist on the 2006 you have to be careful or it will pump the resevoir dry and get air into the lines. I didn't listen to the Service guy at my closest BMW dealership that told me I couldn't do it myself because I didn't have their computer. Just followed the instructions in the tech subforum, repeated to insure no bubbles. No problem. This year I'll put speed bleeders on the nine bleed fittings and make it even simpler.

The K1300GT and the later K1200GT without the servo brakes are straight forward to flush. No special techniques or tools required, it can be done simply by pumping through with the lever use a vacuum bleader to make it a bit easier and quicker. I like to use my vacuum bleader to fiirst suck the resevoir out so I don't have to work the full volume through the system.

Just don't use brake fluid in the clutch as its filled with mineral oil and is not really necessary to change.

Thank you sir!

I have a large vac for oil changes but I do not have the smaller unit. I was hoping I could pump the brake fluid with the hand and foot levers. I guess I will be investing in a small vac pump. Thanks again.

David

I have a large vac also for oil changes and use that for the brake flush as well on all of my vehicles including the K1300S...just used a couple of adapters to size down the hose as well as putting an on/off valve in the hose next to the pump.

Seems like there was some issue with the ABS systems and vacuum bleeders. Might have been with the servo types...don't remember.

Back