• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

gps question

f14rio

i just use the gps from my car on the bike when i need one.
i just stick it on with a bit of velcro.
thing is, i cant't hear the voice very well.
it does not have an audio output plug.

so this 65 year old low tech type of guy wants to know,

is there a simple cheap way to get gps audio to a speaker in my helmet if i put one in there?

not interested in music or phone. could do without a lot of wires also,

thanks, goo

7132831557_4a84a87a2b.jpg

You can get older tech bluetooth setups like the Scala Q2 that I used to use for under $100 new. But you can probably find used stuff at $25. New "best technology" blueooth stuff is about 2X that. Scala G9, Sena, others....
You've got to have either an audio out or bluetooth to hook up to your helmet and as you know some car cheapies have neither..

BUT as an alternate thought- although I can connect my gps to my helmet I rarely use it that way. Found out from experience I prefer quiet except when exchanging info with my riding companion so prefer to just see the screen rather than hear it. Even when alone in my car I usually turn off the voice in that one.

A feature I really like in newer Garmins is the lane change photos that now appear as split screen for complex urban interchanges, for example. Big improvement over the old map style. No more wrong lane choices.

If it is a 265WT - you should have bluetooth already, at least the garmin website says it does. The big thing with bluetooth is that not all are equal. Before purchasing a bluetooth rig for your helmet, go to a bike shop and try the pairing procedure with a model you like to make sure the two are compatible. If you buy on line, many sources will say "you buy it, you own it" whether it works or not. (they are not liable for incompatible units.)

but no blue tooth as far as i know

http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/details/18932-11027/garmin-nuvi-265wt.html

i guess that makes me wonder if a got another cheap gps with bluetooth how cheaply could i get away with a compatible helmet speaker?

I bought a new Garmin "big screen" w/ bluetooth to do just that. HOWEVER, Garmin is cheaping out on us now by limiting the BT connectivity in many units. MANY will not connect to BT headsets... including mine! Be forewarned! On a positive side note, I just rode through a 200 mile rainstorms and this "car" GPS (NUVI 1490) performed flawlessly!!! (R1200RT mounted over dash) NO RAIN PROTECTION other than the windshield!

I just rode through a 200 mile rainstorms and this "car" GPS (NUVI 1490) performed flawlessly!!! (R1200RT mounted over dash) NO RAIN PROTECTION other than the windshield!

Don't make a habit of it, you will damage the connector pins if they get wet. DAMHIK. Throw a plastic bag over it.

Back