• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where to find info on parts

Novicebmwlover

I have a 99 R1100 RT-P and I thought the aux fan was bad. But taking the bike apart and testing the fan, it worked fine. So now I suspect the temperature switch part number 17211342174. Everyone will sell me the part but I can't find a picture and location so I can test it. Can anyone help me on this? Several people have suggested just running a on/off switch to my handlebars and that is my fallback but I would like it if the the bike to work as designed first. Thanks

Check out the MAX parts fiche at
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51680&rnd=05012012
Section 17 is cooling; that shows the switch and the relay.
I've never dealt with this, but I "believe" the switch is thermostatic (operated by temperature) and therefore should be in an oil line up there.
NOTE that the switch controls the relay to the fan - so that relay is suspect as well. It may be a lot easier to unplug (and maybe actually test) the relay than it is to disassemble the oil line.
If the relay tests OK, then verify that the +12 volts reaches the relay, and the Ground return checks ok for continuity to ground.
I also don't know the fan differences between the 1100 and 1150, but this schematic may help:

Attachments

• R1150RT-P Cooling Fan.pdf
    63.1 KB · Views: 12
Check out the MAX parts fiche at
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51680&rnd=05012012
Section 17 is cooling; that shows the switch and the relay.
I've never dealt with this, but I "believe" the switch is thermostatic (operated by temperature) and therefore should be in an oil line up there.
NOTE that the switch controls the relay to the fan - so that relay is suspect as well. It may be a lot easier to unplug (and maybe actually test) the relay than it is to disassemble the oil line.
If the relay tests OK, then verify that the +12 volts reaches the relay, and the Ground return checks ok for continuity to ground.
I also don't know the fan differences between the 1100 and 1150, but this schematic may help:

As the schematic shows, the motronic (BRGN pin 17) turns the relay on which in turn runs the fan.
The motronic senses engine temperature via the oil temperature sensor (which also feeds the RID)

Back