• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GTL and room on seat question

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
had the chance to sit on a GTL today. seems good, except I'm used to having some room to move my butt back and forth on the seat of my R1200RT.

Does anyone find the GTL seat confining? No room to move around, it seems to me.

He's probably just tall.

Contrary to BMW's misconception, the nicest looking seat is a straight bench.

I like the seat on my GT better than the GTL seat. But, I ride my K16 like a sport bike. If I spent more time on interstates I might feel like I need an aftermarket seat.

Not saying this is your issue but dropping 60lbs helped me a lot. Ymmv

5' 8" and 160 lbs (wet).
28.5" inseam (generous measurement)

Not tall, not overweight.

Lower back issues, so sitting in "absolutely" one location would not work for me.

Handle bars on GTL were nice location, sit slightly more upright than my RT.

GT distance to ground is like my RT and the seating seems to be more forward than my RT - so probably not the bike for me.

I haven't actually ridden either of them. Just able to sit on both at the dealer.

So just wondering what people thought of the seat on the GTL, feels confining or not?

I know in the end it is up to me.

I'm 6ft 200lb.~32" in-seem. I rode both and ended up getting the GTL for the extra storage. I didn't notice a huge diference in the seating postion, noticable? maybe when they are side by side, huge difference, no. I'm a younger guy at 45 y/o and I probably ride a little more aggressive than I should. I sit forward in the seat most of the time but have a few inches to move back and forth if I need to move a bit. I used to have a back rest on my last bike as I like to crank up the lumbar support and take the stress off the lower back muscles. I like the stock GTL seat and I'm not a big guy, so I'll look for a small back rest I can add to the stock seat. My wife LOVES the bike and the GTL seat does offer a little more seat for her.

Back