• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hearing Aids & Helmets

My HA's came from ebay and were one of the latest models of Phonak & correct for my loss. I saved thousands because someone died & didn't need them any longer. The ear inserts/tubes are new & sized to my ear canal & the programming was done by a HA pro that sells Phonak. It escapes me why the HA industry-meaning the ones that frequently sell them at a rip off, don't approach an expensive device the same as a vehicle, which retains high value in the used market. Sure, it's true that HA's change fast given new technology in recent years, but there are lots of older people that use them thus many become available through natural cause. The technology that helps me wasn't available only a few years back. My pro said mine were the 1st used HA's she had done. Many places will balk on serving used HA owners as they want the large profit that goes with the 1st sale. It's no accident that we have laws to protect us r.e. HA's & their sale.
There are lots models within the several really good brands so choice of brand & model matters in several ways. One persons great experience may be entirely wrong for others. For my loss a HA that was always inserted would not work at all. My point is that it's a device that has to fit your loss profile.
As to tinnitus , you can get a mild case from one loud noise exposure or you can get a "rest of your life" case from long term exposure, the choice is yours for not using protection. Mine is (to my notion) mild but never ending but lucky to not have it so bad that it interferes with daily living.

**** One all important thing to remember about noise exposure is that it is accumulative, meaning that each and every time you don't protect you are chipping away at what hearing you had to start with!****

My HA's came from ebay and were one of the latest models of Phonak & correct for my loss. I saved thousands because someone died & didn't need them any longer. The ear inserts/tubes are new & sized to my ear canal & the programming was done by a HA pro that sells Phonak. It escapes me why the HA industry-meaning the ones that frequently sell them at a rip off, don't approach an expensive device the same as a vehicle, which retains high value in the used market. Sure, it's true that HA's change fast given new technology in recent years, but there are lots of older people that use them thus many become available through natural cause. The technology that helps me wasn't available only a few years back. My pro said mine were the 1st used HA's she had done. Many places will balk on serving used HA owners as they want the large profit that goes with the 1st sale. It's no accident that we have laws to protect us r.e. HA's & their sale.
There are lots models within the several really good brands so choice of brand & model matters in several ways. One persons great experience may be entirely wrong for others. For my loss a HA that was always inserted would not work at all. My point is that it's a device that has to fit your loss profile.
As to tinnitus , you can get a mild case from one loud noise exposure or you can get a "rest of your life" case from long term exposure, the choice is yours for not using protection. Mine is (to my notion) mild but never ending but lucky to not have it so bad that it interferes with daily living.
As to the protection mentioned above, there is a point where enough is enough with protection and if you reach that point why spend more? While I'm certainly no pro in this area I did attend a several day "hearing protection" seminar via the Army for the purpose of training me to monitor an Army units use of hearing protection.

**** One all important thing to remember about noise exposure is that it is accumulative, meaning that each and every time you don't protect you are chipping away at what hearing you had to start with!****

I have new BTE HA coming in the end of the month. I hope to able to comfortably wear them with a full face helmet. I have a couple of older Arai Signets to play around with to try to get it right. I really want to ba able to wear them when riding! I've talked to the manufacturer, Starkey, (Series 3 with SurfLink Moble) and am told I should be able to pair them my K1600GT. Im' going to ask the Dr to set a program with outside volume, just Bluetooth, if possible. I'll post results end of the month.

Hearing Loss

I had my first hearing aids in 1959, nine years out of high school. They were terrible, I mostly wore them in my pocket, we did not have helmets in those days so the wind noise amplified by the HA's was not tolerable at all. I credit some of my hearing loss to hereditary causes as my father also suffered with a huge loss of hearing. I am sure the lifetime I spent with marine diesel engines added to my problem, we were not aware of hearing damage back them, later we all had ear muffs but the damage was already done. When I went from an open face helmet to the full face type I discovered the hard way helmets and hearing aids are not compatible, while trying it on in the bike shop both hearing aids crashed to the floor when I took it off, neither would work after that. So I opted for the modular type helmet, however about 10 years into that I find if the helmet fits properly it will pull the HA's out on removal, modular or not. Needless to say I ride with them in a ziplock bag in my pocket, one simply just has to be more aware of ones surroundings while riding. My loss involves sever word definition, once that is lost HA's will not bring it back, I need to see what you say.

Y'all have a good day,

My BTE HA's will pull off with my sunglasses which have rubber tips on the end & it's a PITA for sure . Wearing them under a helmet just isn't going to happen for me & I really don't care if they fit there or not. Sameo for out fishing as I don't want mine in the water either. They are reserved for social interaction situations only. Granted, if it came down to "can I hear a horn,etc., in traffic then maybe a different choice.

Ok, got the new StarKey BTE hearing aids. First, no issue riding with FF Helmet. I'm careful taking the helmet off, but really isn't a problem. I have a Blue tooth controller with the HA, about the size of a small cell phone. I linked the HA with my iphone and it works fine. When riding, I can answer a phone call and hear the caller fine. But there is too much wind noise for the caller to hear me through the mikes on the HA. I linked the HA to the K1600GT but nothing works when I do. It even turns the speakers off on the bike. I'm getting an indication that the bike is "looking for a BT device"... Had to disconnect the HA BT from bike and go into the radio setup to turn speakers back on. One advantage to the BT HA is there is a mute buttom on the remote. When muted, the HA work just like custom made earplugs. I stopped by the local dealer (Morton's) and they didn't have a solution for syncing with the bike.

Hearing Aids and Riding

I was just fitted with hearing aids and I am amazed at how much I was missing.

I will not wear them on the bike because I will susbstitute ear plugs for the HAs.

As others have said, those who do not ride with ear plugs are playing Russian Roulette with their hearing. I have worn ear plugs ever since I started riding 10 years ago at the age of 58. I did not have appreciable hearing loss at that time, but it progressed as I aged to where I could not hear high frequency sounds (watch alarms, birds chirping, high pitched female voices).

The audiologist told me that high frequency sounds are what make up a large proportion of hearing comprehension. Also vowel sounds are easier to hear than consonants, since they are harsh, but consonants are "soft' sounds.

I wish I had gone to the audiologist earlier than I did.

Bill

I'm curious...you guys who ride with earplugs, esp. you guys who take out your HA's...can you hear anything at all? I mean, it seems to me that you'd want to be able to hear sirens, horns, the bike, and other sounds, just for safety. If I don't have my HA's in, I can hardly hear anything except my tinnitus noises. To me, it's scary to ride like that. I guess it depends on how bad your hearing loss is.

I have noise induced hearing loss with a similar profile R & L, It is quite common & you start losing the high freq's 1st then it progresses downward as you loose more(if exposure continues degradation does too) and I hear the stuff you mention just fine. In fact, if you & I or even a female soft voice were in an environment with no background noise I could hear most any conversation , no matter the volume of such. The stuff about consonants vs. vowels, bird sounds etc., is spot on but don't expect some miracle improvement if you have much loss. Nothing remarkable happens for me, just a few more things get through that matter. They are also a PIA as mine are going in for repair now-one is inop. Traffic sounds are easy for me with or without! Fact is I cringe when I'm too near sirens etc., knowing every exposure chips away of what I have left! Fingers in the ears many times. Ringing-I've got it!

I wear hearing aids, both ears. Mine are Phonaks, in the ear (not in the ear canal). They have mute buttons that I push to mute when I ride. I have a watch that controls the volume (and I can mute it with this also), and an I-com device that uses bluetooth to direct my cell phone to my hearing aids (this is a godsend).

I'm waiting on my HA audiologist to send me MY!!!!!!!!!!! hearing profile(it has hardly changed since Army one I've got from 1969!) so I can include it with my HA's to send in for repair & re-program. They want a privacy form completed & returned before they'll mail it! When I call Humana(my Medicare provider) all they ask is my member number & we can talk about everything! This privacy thing is haywire!!! Seems the bad guys can get my info & I cannot? I called one of the two KY state retirement systems with a question couple years ago & they said I had to come in person or fill out a request 1st. I said , so you are willing to send me money but not change the mistake on my info w/o that crap,wow, whats next? Here I am on a 1st name basis with the audiologist & the receptionist(ENT office) needs more paperwork? Good thing I can hear something while I wait? Sleep doc told me to make sure I continue toward a machine that will be compatible & provide sleep apnea help. I get home & tell wife that he warned me it was going to be the big one Elizabeth ,ala, Fred Sanford if I don't get a machine that works soon. She says they must not be too worried about me dying as it took 3 months to get in to see the guy. So much for dying peacefully huh?:bottle:deal:cry:doh
End of rant!

Back