• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hearing Aids & Helmets

markaz

OK, there are a couple threads about glasses & helmets. Anyone else out there wear hearing aids? Any issues with them & your helmet? Mainly feedback problems? I have a pair of Phonaks and I have a very mild feedback inside the helmet. Not a big problem since I can't hear it over the bike & wind noise but I was thinking of consulting my audiologist to see if she could tweak them to not feed back in one of the programs.

I don't have any issues with glasses & helmet (HJC CL-Max II modular).

Wouldn't that be counterintuitive? One woud think you'd remove hearing aids while riding and switch to ear plugs instead.

What are you trying to hear?

If you have a helmet system for hearing your radio of communication system then I could see wearing hearing aids. I take mine out and put them in their carrier.

Hearing Aids cost too much.

I take out my aids, and put in container. I once on a rainy weekend ride lost a hear aid :bangheadafter I went into a restaurant and then forgot to take them off. It was a long wet ride, I showered at Motel, and then went out to eat. I put aids in to hear server but when I got out I was tired, 2 days of rain (500 miles).

Next morning I came out to bike, there was one aid, other? I was lucky they were new and only cost me $250 to get them replaced. I now make sure they are off, in the case, and in the case. Plugs then go in my ears.

I am sure with all the Ipods, smart phone, etc. hearing aids will become a device many more people will be wearing them. I just hope cost comes down of aids, these seem to be one of the electronic items that do not come down in price.

When I first got them I tried wearing the hearing aids on the bike, just to see the effect. The noise level was unbelievable! I take my hearing aids out and use speaker earplugs plugged into an Autocom when I ride. I prefer to save the hearing I have left.

The only time I wear my hearing aids on the bike is for a very short ride...and they are turned off when doing this. I NEVER ride with the aids turned on.

For anything longer than a couple miles, I remove the aids and wear ear plugs. The wind noise on my RS is terrific. It was not as bad on the LT and R bikes, but I still wore ear plugs.:wave

I have no hearing in my right ear. I have about 15% hearing in my left ear and with a hearing aid in that ear, I manage to get by fairly well.

When I ride the bike, the hearing aid is left in but turned down, I want to be able to hear something.

As much as I have come to enjoy being able to turn off what is a very noisy world, I
do not feel comfortable having silence on a motorcycle.

Whether it may be change in the sound of something on the bike or a siren or horn, I want to be able to hear it.

The only problem I have with a hearing aid is getting the helmet off without sometimes pulling the aid off with it, getting the helmet on is not a problem.

Interesting...I'm surprised that so many take out their hearing aids. I would no more ride or drive without them than I would without my glasses. I don't have an issue with the noise...quite the opposite since the HAs have pretty good noise reduction. They act kind of like smart ear plugs. Then again, I don't do a lot of high speed riding so might not run into the same noise level. I suppose it also depends on the severity of your hearing loss...I'm quite deaf without them so probably wouldn't hear horns or siren or bad noises from the bike. I wear behind-the-ear models and the main issue I have is that the helmet presses my ears against the HA body and that can be painful after a while.

I am down about 30% in both ears, still able to pass a DOT physical (I'm a CDL driver) without aids as of right now, or last year anyways. One of these years it will be time. As my loss is given to years of loud activities w/o hearing protection, my doc did at one time (and this has been awhile ago, things may have changed in the last 20 yrs or so) recommended against HA's. It will just amplify sound and increase the degrading of my hearing. Prtecting what I have is the name of the game for me right now.

MARKAZ; If your helmet is pushing on your hearing aid, The problem is most likely
your helmet. I wear a Shoei Mulitec modular which has openings large enough that
my ears even with the aid, fit into them.

There is no pressure on the aids.

I have never had speakers in a helmet, but I am going to guess that helmets that are designed to have a commuication system built into it would have larger openings
for the installation of speakers.

You may be able to trim a little off of where there is pressure on the aid.

I have an HJC CL-Max II that is bluetooth ready but I don't have bluetooth in it. It has space around the ears for speakers. The space give the HAs more clearance and helps reduce the feedback. I only noticed the pressure on the aid the other day, I hadn't had any problem before so maybe the aid shifted a little. I tried on a bunch of helmets including Shoei before I decided on the HJC. It fits well & I can get it on & off easily with both glasses & HA (price was a factor also). It's been fine until the other day. I haven't been riding much lately...just too hot for me...I'll pay closer attention next time & be sure everything's in place.

Hearing aid technology has improved a lot over the past few years. The feedback suppression, noise reduction, compression, etc. are vastly improved from the last pair I got about five years ago. They're pretty pricey, tho...

When I first bought my Mulitec, size Large, it fit perfect without the aid but was a little tight with the one aid in. I began to wish that I had bought an X-Large.

I got a pair of the snap-in pads that come with the X-Large which are just a little thinner. I put just the one X-Large pad in on the side where I have the aid, it made a difference.
After using the helmet for about a month, the pads broke in and I was able to go back to the size large pad on the aid side.

Interesting...I'm surprised that so many take out their hearing aids. I would no more ride or drive without them than I would without my glasses. I don't have an issue with the noise...quite the opposite since the HAs have pretty good noise reduction. They act kind of like smart ear plugs. Then again, I don't do a lot of high speed riding so might not run into the same noise level. I suppose it also depends on the severity of your hearing loss...I'm quite deaf without them so probably wouldn't hear horns or siren or bad noises from the bike. I wear behind-the-ear models and the main issue I have is that the helmet presses my ears against the HA body and that can be painful after a while.

Helmet manufacturers attempt to make a helmet quieter by adding foam padding to isolate your ear from wind noise. If this padding causes your ear to deflect it can "rock" the earplug (or hearing aid) and cause a pressure point where the plug extends into the ear canal. This is easily remedied by pulling down the helmet liner and removing some of the foam rubber padding from around the ear area.

I have had HA's for a few months & noise induced loss for many years. You cannot talk about loss w/o saying what kind & how much,etc. Mine is high frequency, as common for noise caused & is ~35% & same curve in both ears. FWIW there is a nice website for interaction with others having loss & aids & a few pros in that field too: www.hearingaidforums.com.

I'm in the why wear HA's on a bike? I switch to plugs! In a car I wear the right side, while the driver, to hear the boss & remove the left entirely to hear the road sounds better as no blockage from in the ear tube. I also remove them for farm work,mowing,shop time,rainy day hiking/fishing/golfing,etc..
Another FWIW, I bought mine on eBay used, @ great savings after much research. I went to a pro for fitting,new in the ear tubes & re-programming. There are a couple of resellers on ebay that do it full time & from communications they are OK to deal with. Mine happened to come from another seller there.Many people with HA's are in the latter part of their life & often die soon after spending more for HA's than any of my bikes cost! My Phonak Nadias are from such a death situation & I saved thousands!
It's a fact that many in the club probably need HA's & don't have them. Just a natural leap from bikers interests. For me it was simply a procrastination & I could hear some so tightwad saved the $ until I saw the light. Tryth be known you will not "fix" your hearing situation but it does help at times. Mine are adjustable too-had to turn them down in a restaurant the other day to tune out a loud mouth! Issue before was not hearing across the table due to background noise-hard to find a balance in those situ's.

After trying every style of hearing aid on the market, I recently was fitted with new Lyric in-ear hearing aids. It took me about a month to get totally used to them but they are a God-send for riding in a helmet and listening to my in-helmet speakers. They are inserted by the Doctor, are totally invisible and cause no feed back. They are worn full time (no worry about taking them out to ride and losing them). You return to the Doc every 100 days or so and the old ones are removed and new ones installed. After 15 years of wearing hearing aids and buying every advance that came on the market but still struggling with a good solution for use on the bike, I cannot recommend the Lyric aids strongly enough.

I'm curious and have a question for all you guys that have hearing aids. I'm suffering the onset of tinnitus with some high frequency loss myself. My question is this: do you attribute your hearing loss to all the time you spent on scooters when you weren't protecting your hearing? The charts are pretty clear on how little exposure you can experience to noise before permanent damage occurs and it's shockingly little.

I've spent my whole life from about 8 years old at WFO throttle on gas powered fun. I started with minibikes and gokarts. Then it was dirt bikes. Then street bikes. Then racing cars. And now, for the last 10 years, I've been an aerobatic competitor in one of the loudest cockpits flying. Most of that time I wore a full face helmet on the dirt and street and I fly with the best active noise attenuating headsets in my traveling planes and wear an excellent ear bud headset in the Pitts. The point being that I did everything I could to protect my hearing and I'm still paying the price here in my 50's.

Just wondering what others have experienced?

me too!

but I'll try to be brief. ...Tho' the ENT guy said nobody really knows what causes tinnitus, for me it kicked into high gear right after a trip that included several 700+ mi days without earplugs. i'd ridden for twenty-odd years w/o earplugs and never gave it a thought. IDK if it was coincidence or causal.

But in any case, my hearing loss is similar to yours; loss of higher frequencies...like my wife's voice for example. And the ringing, of course. I started wearing hearing aids about eight years ago and I'm so glad. As the Dr. suggested, by putting more of the sound of reality in my head, over the years I've gradually become less and less aware of the ringing. I have to think about it to "find/hear" it. And i hear better. It's a good thing to hear well.

Maybe some are different, but with my particular ones (Ayr Resound or something like that) behind the ear, the only purpose to wearing them under a helmet would be to exacerbate the wind noise. And maybe cause more of the ringing sensation and cause your hearing to deteriorate.

Anyone reading this who's not wearing some sort of ear protection is flirting with similar problems and expense. Hearing aids are not cheap. About $4k as I recall and my health insurance only picked up 1/2. And it's a once-in-a-lifetime insurance payment.

Anyone reading this who's not wearing some sort of ear protection is flirting with similar problems and expense. Hearing aids are not cheap. About $4k as I recall and my health insurance only picked up 1/2. And it's a once-in-a-lifetime insurance payment.

Hence my decision recently to have Sensaphonics custom ear monitors made. I have no doubt they're the best of the best - proven to have over 30 db of passive noise attenuation. One guy on the K16 forum had his hearing tested with them and measured 40 db of attenuation. The price and inconvenience of hearing aids puts the $750 price of the Sensaphonics in perspective.

Back