• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Horn Switch on 1996 R1100RT

Dadrider

Still a learning newbie !
You can call me a wuss if you want, I'm going into this question, knowing that :violin

The horn button on my RT. UP not IN to actuate. I'm not getting used to it very well. at all. Arrg ! :banghead

I got by the turnsignal cancel button awkwardness, by fitting a Kisan Signal minder. Wow, the options that gave me plus the flexibility. That minor problem solved!

The "push to flash" rocker switch that is used for the hi/low beam fits perfectly under the left thumb. I asked Mr Happy Wanderer a couple of questions about that circuit and after looking at the wiring diagram and a message or 2 over it, the high beam flash function of the rocker as good as the placement is ergonomically being a DPDT switch isn't going to allow my dreamy idea to work.

Besides being told to suck it up and grow up, are there any idea's or suggestions that will give me a push to actuate other than separate horn button.

When I pull the Tupperware off for the 42k maintenance, I plan to install the Strebel and harness I have waiting in the closet.

Dad.

I have always heard complaints about the BMW switches being awkward and I could never understand it. I have quite a few different brand bikes and I never had a problem with the unique BMW way of operating the switches. I thought it was quite clever - push left -push right-flick righ thumb up to cancel. Same with the horn switch.
Anybody own both an automatic and a manual shift car?
Do you hear them complaining about the stick shift requiring odd movements with the shiftert o change gears?

I have always heard complaints about the BMW switches being awkward and I could never understand it. I have quite a few different brand bikes and I never had a problem with the unique BMW way of operating the switches. I thought it was quite clever - push left -push right-flick righ thumb up to cancel. Same with the horn switch.
Anybody own both an automatic and a manual shift car?
Do you hear them complaining about the stick shift requiring odd movements with the shiftert o change gears?

Even if you've ridden BMWs all your life like some of the folks around here, switching bikes and controls can be awkward. Getting off my airheads and onto my oilhead always takes me a while to adjust. Push buttons instead of slider switches and all that. While I found the turn cancel thumb switch pretty intuitive in a short while I think that is because I use it a LOT.

When it comes to the horn, I am not much of a horn blower and in the few instances I have really wanted to get someone's attention it was anything but handy or intuitive. I think that is simply because I don't use it often enough to get used to it and that is all. Also, when you blow your horn it's usually under duress and the stress seems to decrease the time you have to think about what you are doing. Often the end result for me is I usually just end up yelling or cussing at no one but myself! And then the seemingly too late horn blow... :violin

I need to ride around New York or Boston for a few days... They LOVE their horns in New Yawk!! :D

I have always heard complaints about the BMW switches being awkward...

That's because they are! :)

Every other motorcycle manufacturer has similarly-placed operating switches. I own other bikes as well and getting aclimated to riding the BMW is never easy. On more than one occasion I've wanted to use my horn and have found myself furiously signalling a left turn.

But that's me. I'm sure no one else has ever had this issue. :laugh

Yeah... Have to admit, nice and smooth as the new switches are, the old style airhead horn button is so much easier to work with when you _really_ need it.
Just push and play. Let go... it stops. :thumb

I'm off to the John Day rally tomorrow. Maybe I'll try practicing my horn blowing in the Oregon outback where no one can hear me!

I've got a set of these Italian air horns and compressor in the shed. I haven't bothered to install them. What's the use if I can't even hit the switch in time to scare the heck out of someone?

I'm having to train myself on the switches as well. I have the turn signals down fairly well, But I still have to watch that I don't goose the throttle when canceling the signal.
I need more practice on the horn button. I keep trying to push in when I need to be pushing up. I want it to be a reflex for me.
I don't know that the horn can be heard anyway. They need more of a "car horn" sound, and less of the 'beepbeep' motorcycle sound.

Back