• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Advice on short Colorado ride

jenunn01

We are flying into Denver to attend a wedding in Telluride. I arranged to rent a 1200RT in Denver and have a couple of days before wedding on Saturday to wander around CO. I thought we'd overnight in Aspen on Wednesday night ( our flight arrives noon Wed.) and head south on Thursday. Any suggestions on routes/attractions/etc.? We plan a ride to Durango area...other than that we're wide open.

After heading west from Denver, thru' the Eisenhower tunnel, loop back and come around Loveland pass, back thru' Eisenhower tunnel, then turn south toward Leadville, and approach Aspen from the south. Then either head south on 133 or head west to Glenwood Springs, and south toward the 65 cut off, thru' Grand Mesa. Then south to Durango. Then west to Cortez and north into Telluride on 145.
Better yet, get the Butler Motorcycle map. And add some more to that route.
dc

If you are getting to Denver at noon to get your stuff and get the rental bike and take off it would be at least 2 hours, say 3 hours.

"3 hours"

The quickest way to Aspen is I-70 to Hwy-91 Leadville, Hwy 82 aspen.
I-70 will be fast. Hwy 91 slower and Hwy 82 is Independence Pass and it is twisty and that will slow you down. Its a little over 180 miles.
I would guess over 4 hours say 5 hours from Denver to Aspen.

"5 hours"

Thats a lot for the first day getting off of a flight.

We are flying into Denver to attend a wedding in Telluride. I arranged to rent a 1200RT in Denver and have a couple of days before wedding on Saturday to wander around CO. I thought we'd overnight in Aspen on Wednesday night ( our flight arrives noon Wed.) and head south on Thursday. Any suggestions on routes/attractions/etc.? We plan a ride to Durango area...other than that we're wide open.

Rinty, Have signed the contract option to keep you onboard for another year. I trust the commission checks are arriving regularly.

jenunn01... Landing at noon, gathering your stuff, making it to the rental place and signing the paperwork, let's say you're out of there about 2:00p. If you want to be in Aspen that night, then the shortest route at four hours is probably your best option, and you still get to enjoy Independence Pass in the daylight. Anything other than a partial interstate blast, via scenic backroads, would have you arriving past dusk and with deer watching your moves. I would enjoy this interstate, Fremont Pass, Independence Pass route...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...Noon-PSOEQ&gl=us&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=8&t=m&z=9

From Aspen, assuming you want to arrive Thursday in Durango instead of the day before the wedding, here's a scenic, if not famed 300 mile riding journey to Durango (though it is a little bland around Montrose)...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...hOAIdiuqR-Q&gl=us&mra=mi&mrsp=3&sz=10&t=m&z=8

If your intent was to not arrive in Durango until Friday evening, you could still follow the plan above and enjoy a day ride from Durango... 1). East on U.S. 160 to Pagosa Springs and Wolf Creek Pass, or 84 south out of Pagosa to Chama, NM. or 2). West on U.S. 160 to Mancos/Mesa Verde National Park, then north on CO 145 to Telluride.

Last edited:
I would enjoy this interstate, Fremont Pass, Independence Pass route...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...Noon-PSOEQ&gl=us&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=8&t=m&z=9

From Aspen, assuming you want to arrive Thursday in Durango instead of the day before the wedding, here's a scenic, if not famed 300 mile riding journey to Durango (though it is a little bland around Montrose)...

If your intent was to not arrive in Durango until Friday evening, you could still follow the plan above and enjoy a day ride from Durango... 1). East on U.S. 160 to Pagosa Springs and Wolf Creek Pass, or 84 south out of Pagosa to Chama, NM. or 2). West on U.S. 160 to Mancos/Mesa Verde National Park, then north on CO 145 to Telluride.

Same route posted twice...

Thanks to all.....a lot of great suggestions

I appreciate all of your help and input. Looks like the weather is going to cooperate....cool but mostly sunny. Can't wait to get there as I haven't been back to Colorado since 1971. My wife lived briefly in Salida after graduating from UNC Nursing in 1973 so it will be a homecoming of sorts.........Thanks again!

I'm studying Farson's book right now, along with AAA Indian Country map to get the bigger picture.

I won't live long enough to get in all the riding that Mr. Farson has outlined. Fantastic work SF. The book just makes an interesting read with the history that has been thrown in.

Thanks SF.

Back