• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R100RT Trailering

Bob 1642

I have a motorhome and wish to trailer my BMW R100RT over long distances behind the motorhome. The motorhome is a 26ft. Class A.
A lift on the back of the motorhome would be ideal but very expensive. Any information on trailers or lifts including home built would be greatly appreciated.

I have a motorhome and wish to trailer my BMW R100RT over long distances behind the motorhome. The motorhome is a 26ft. Class A.
A lift on the back of the motorhome would be ideal but very expensive. Any information on trailers or lifts including home built would be greatly appreciated.
Hey Bob, I have a set-up quite similar to yours. Most of the time that size motorhome has "frame extensions" to achieve the total length. They are usually bolted on, some are welded. In either case they are not rated for much of a rear lift. I have extended both rear rails so I can tie the hitch and rails together and achieve some sort of strength.
All that said, I prefer to use a trailer. The current trailer that I use is an aluminum with a deck of 10' X6'6" with a rear ramp. This length allows me to see the trailer in the mirrors and back the whole rig up with ease. It's important that if you choose a trailer to go with at least 13" wheels- preferably 14". If you have a rear-view camera you can leave it on to keep a check on the load.
There are lots of tie-down options, I have been using the Ancra cam locks for years with great success. A couple of hints there, the open end of the hook should be "closed" for a trip with electrical tape so in the event of a severe bump they don't bump off.
HTH. Gary

Last edited:
Trailer it is

Thanks for the feedback I will use a trailer and save the extra cash for gas.
I think the key is have a trailer that is easy to load and unload with good tiedown
points and real heavy duty trailer tires.
Cheers Bob

There are lots of tie-down options, I have been using the Ancra cam locks for years with great success. A couple of hints there, the open end of the hook should be "closed" for a trip with electrical tape so in the event of a severe bump they don't bump off.

nice tip

If you find a trailer that is a bit narrow to see behind you, consider fitting it with some light extensions that they use on boat trailers to keep the lights out of the water. These could be mounted angled out a bit so you could see them.
I have a 4x8 utility trailer that I absolutely can't see when it is empty. I found some 4' bright orange fiberglass rods, like the kind used with reflectors on them and placed them on the outside corners of the trailer. Now I know where it is , especially when backing.

Back