• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stripped screw

jschara

My final drive oil level screw is stripped just enough to leak. I tried wrapping the threads with teflon tape but it is still dripping. I don't use the bike for long distance so I was hoping for a quick fix until I decide to tear it apart for Helicoil. Anyone out there with the same problem?

Which bike?..........Are you saying the screw in cap/plug on top where you look in to see if it is full up to the threads or are you saying the plug on the bottom where you drain?..............

If it is the "fill/check" plug how much are you loosing there.........Just a bit like a tablespoon can appear to be a lot and make a mess; but it isnt really a problem. If you are loosing like enough to get the tire coated then you definately need to do something. There are all kinds of fixes posted on here if you search. Some have gone to a hardware store and gotten rubber plugs and inserted and others have even just not worried about it.........God bless......Dennis

If the threads aren't too buggered up you might want to read through this discussion from avrider > http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655795

Something else to keep in mind is that removing the final drive takes about fifteen minutes, the first time you do it; no special tools (although a torque wrench is preferable) The four nuts mating the drive shaft tube to the aluminum casting are the only thing holding it on... other than the two shocks, and the axle itself. Replacement is just as fast.

Drain it, remove the rear wheel, remove the FD, and take it to a machine shop.

torque values: http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/torquevalues.htm

Ref.
4.JPG

Flaps or HomeDepot and Hardware stores sections will have rubber plugs in all sizes. Screw and washers with lever handle. Temp fix that will get you a long ways down the road.

Dennis asked which bike...I think we really need to know this...it might make a difference. The oil fill and/or check locations are different for a '71 bike than for an '82. :dunno

If it's an oil level plug, Horizontally oriented. Typically the proper fluid level is at the lowest point of the threads. (just like the transmission) Having the fluid level just a little below this point should reduce or eliminate the leakage. Checking the venting as previously suggested seems like a good idea.

It often helps a lot if you reveal the year & model with your question.

I apologize to all who responded to my question for not being more specific. The screw in question is on my 82 RS. The small screw in the 8 O'Clock position. Thank you for your patience.

Jim

A general comment ...

Those with the '81 on rear drive should NEVER remove this screw as you WILL strip the threads.

Owners manual provides correct quantity of oil to put in final drive so no need to "check" with this screw. If you're in doubt, change it all or drain it and add what's necessary (measuring) when refilling.

The title of this thread was totally misleading and I for one am very disappointed in the subject matter.

The title of this thread was totally misleading and I for one am very disappointed in the subject matter.

I am curious as to why you would say that......:scratch

Perhaps you could enlighten me, as it appears to me that the question was answered.

I am curious as to why you would say that......

[insert tongue firmly in cheek]

Long winter Kevin? As I recall, it stays pretty cold up there in the left hand corner...
icon_wink.gif

My final drive oil level screw is stripped just enough to leak. I tried wrapping the threads with teflon tape but it is still dripping. I don't use the bike for long distance so I was hoping for a quick fix until I decide to tear it apart for Helicoil. Anyone out there with the same problem?
You can use a short well nut for this. When I bought my 81 with 77,500 miles on it it had a well nut sealing this level check hole. It still does 40,000 miles later. A well nut is a rubber plug with a machine screw tapped into a metal insert in the plug. When you tighten the screw it shortens and expands the plug. It is secure and will not leak. Ace Hardware or any good fastener supply store will have them in various sizes.

BTW, the manual and various sources tell you to put 350 cc of oil in the final drive but about 260 cc is all that the 81-84 final drives take before running out this hole. I just changed my FD oil last night. I measure what drains out the bottom drain hole and use that volume to refill then add a tiny bit at a time until it begins to leak out the level check hole.

Back