• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gloves: Rain

I just slip a pair of x-large dishwashing gloves over my regular riding gloves. Got to do that before the leather gloves get wet or it's a struggle. But I don't lose the feel or protection of the leather gloves. The dishwashing gloves are real cheap and orange. :thumb I think I got a pair from Aerostich first but they can be found elsewhere.

pete

I have "regular" gloves & cold weather gloves, no dishwashers for me as I value my grip on the bar,esp. when wet!

You can't have too much information on rain gloves.

I've tried Marmot ice climbing gloves, diving gloves, mountain bike rain gloves, dishwashing gloves, BMW Summer Rain gloves, and the only thing that's worked for me is Aerostich Triple Digit glove covers.

But I'm looking for some back up rain gloves, so I may give rapz' BMW gloves a try.

the only thing that's worked for me is Aerostich Triple Digit glove covers.

+1. After one episode of an epic struggle to get rain gloves with a waterproof separate lining on to wet hands and another of having well-treated leather gloves soak through in 45 degree weather, I went for the Triple Digits and have been satisfied.

As others here have experienced, I've never found a "regular" motorcycle glove that's actually waterproof.

That is until this year, when I started wearing a pair of BMW Pro Summer gloves. I've worn them in a couple of several hour downpours and my hands have stayed dry and comfortable. These have become my favourite foul weather gloves. They're also good as a regular mid-weight gauntlet.

The BMW Atlantis 3 gloves are bulletproof in the rain but a pain in the rump to put on, They have one gauntlet that goes under your cuff and one that goes over. They also have the liner firmly attached to the outer shell of the glove so the whole caboodle doesn't come out when you pull your hand out.

Handlebar covers!

Wear your favorite gloves year-round with handlebar covers!

You'll be a better rider, too, when you learn how to ride without ever having to look down at the controls on your handlebars.

I couldn't ride year-round in Seattle without handlebar covers. With handlebar covers (aka "HippoHands"), your hands stay warm and dry inside, where the still air allows the heated grips to really work. I don't care how many hundreds of dollars you spend on insulated Gore-Tex gloves from BMW, Rev'it, Klim, etc. - they will eventually soak through at some point. Guaranteed. Period. This never happens with handlebar covers.

My handlebar covers don't fit on my GSA, so when I'm riding the GSA in the rain, I use the BMW summer Gore-Tex gloves. Light weight, no insulation - only a Gore-Tex membrane to keep the wet out for a little while. They were $130, so not as pricey as the $200-$300 you can spend on some Gore-Tex m/c gloves.

I don't care how many hundreds of dollars you spend on insulated Gore-Tex gloves from BMW, Rev'it, Klim, etc. - they will eventually soak through at some point. Guaranteed. Period.

I carry two or three pairs of gloves, if they don't soak through, the inside gets wet with perspiration, so I let them dry out for a day. I'd carry two pairs of boots for the same reason, if it wasn't a pain.

Wear your favorite gloves year-round with handlebar covers!

You'll be a better rider, too, when you learn how to ride without ever having to look down at the controls on your handlebars.

I couldn't ride year-round in Seattle without handlebar covers. With handlebar covers (aka "HippoHands"), your hands stay warm and dry inside, where the still air allows the heated grips to really work. I don't care how many hundreds of dollars you spend on insulated Gore-Tex gloves from BMW, Rev'it, Klim, etc. - they will eventually soak through at some point. Guaranteed. Period. This never happens with handlebar covers.

My handlebar covers don't fit on my GSA, so when I'm riding the GSA in the rain, I use the BMW summer Gore-Tex gloves. Light weight, no insulation - only a Gore-Tex membrane to keep the wet out for a little while. They were $130, so not as pricey as the $200-$300 you can spend on some Gore-Tex m/c gloves.

Wow..haven't heard "Hippo Hands" mentioned in a long time! I picked up a pair of these a few years ago and love them for cold weather riding between NOV - MAR Iowa riding season. Never tried them in rain. I can attest to the benefit of dead air helping since heated grips are something I've only heard about.;)

Triple Digits? The All Around Rain Gloves II were $75. Not cheap, but while I wear out other brands in one season these gloves still look new, just mho.

The 3 digit covers typically purchased from Aerostich workwell to kep water out but are zero protection and way too sweaty in a really hot sumer rain. OK when colder but not otherwise..
I've got some BMW ProSummer gloves not yet vetted in a frog choker but they look like they'll be pretty good with wet hands. They're about the same weight as a Held Steve but not as good leather. Be nice to see someone make a good kangaroo palm in a GoreTex rain glove..

My only problem with bare hands in summer rains is the complete lack of protection for vulnerable waterlogged skin. I actually prefer the feel in really hot weather but won't take that risk...

The 3 digit covers typically purchased from Aerostich work well to keep water out but are zero protection and way too sweaty in a really hot summer rain.

Are those 3-digits covers supposed to go OVER regular MC gloves? That's how I use mine.

That's the only way I've ever used them. I wear elkskin ropers under the triple digit covers and have had good luck in up to moderate rain. I ride a R1200C so no hand grip protection either.

I just read a thread about someone using his hippo hands for grip protection on naked bikes during rain. My riding gloves are on anytime my bike is moving.

Yes they go over but that's part of why they're too hot and sweaty in hot weather. They don't breathe and your hands will ventually get soaked from sweat no matter how light the gloves under them. They get a bit better if worn without gloves under them but then you've got no protection.

Aside from not being waterproof, the biggest problem with many leather gloves is that the liners don't work over wet hands because they're either not fully retained in each finger or they just stick to wet skin too much. The BMW Pro Summer looks promising to address those which is why I have a set to try but I wish the leather was like a Held Steve- that has better feel and dries pretty well but is not a waterproof glove nor a real summer glove becasue it is not vented...

Back