Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gloves: Rain

Gloves: Rain

I have a blog update on my favorite gloves for riding in the rain. It's at http://swriding.blogspot.com
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

na1g
    I just slip a pair of x-large dishwashing gloves over my regular riding gloves. Got to do that before the leather gloves get wet or it's a struggle. But I don't lose the feel or protection of the leather gloves. The dishwashing gloves are real cheap and orange. I think I got a pair from Aerostich first but they can be found elsewhere.

pete

Wet hands?

Personally, if it's not cold, I won't melt.

Jer
    Jerry Palma
    99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 4); 85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'; 04 525i Orient Blue metallic; 09 328i Silver Convertable
    I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by jers99lt View Post
    Personally, if it's not cold, I won't melt.

Jer
    Sounds like you have not ridden much in Canada, Alaska or much of the northern west USA.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I have "regular" gloves & cold weather gloves, no dishwashers for me as I value my grip on the bar,esp. when wet!

You can't have too much information on rain gloves.

I've tried Marmot ice climbing gloves, diving gloves, mountain bike rain gloves, dishwashing gloves, BMW Summer Rain gloves, and the only thing that's worked for me is Aerostich Triple Digit glove covers.

But I'm looking for some back up rain gloves, so I may give rapz' BMW gloves a try.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    the only thing that's worked for me is Aerostich Triple Digit glove covers.
    +1. After one episode of an epic struggle to get rain gloves with a waterproof separate lining on to wet hands and another of having well-treated leather gloves soak through in 45 degree weather, I went for the Triple Digits and have been satisfied.

As others here have experienced, I've never found a "regular" motorcycle glove that's actually waterproof.

That is until this year, when I started wearing a pair of BMW Pro Summer gloves. I've worn them in a couple of several hour downpours and my hands have stayed dry and comfortable. These have become my favourite foul weather gloves. They're also good as a regular mid-weight gauntlet.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    The BMW Atlantis 3 gloves are bulletproof in the rain but a pain in the rump to put on, They have one gauntlet that goes under your cuff and one that goes over. They also have the liner firmly attached to the outer shell of the glove so the whole caboodle doesn't come out when you pull your hand out.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

My rain gloves are Dainese Gore Tex X -Trafit http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbi...at=5&subcat=18

Bone dry in a torrential downpour. The only problem is, they're completely unusable for about 2 days after that!
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
    German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar

Handlebar covers!

Wear your favorite gloves year-round with handlebar covers!

You'll be a better rider, too, when you learn how to ride without ever having to look down at the controls on your handlebars.

I couldn't ride year-round in Seattle without handlebar covers. With handlebar covers (aka "HippoHands"), your hands stay warm and dry inside, where the still air allows the heated grips to really work. I don't care how many hundreds of dollars you spend on insulated Gore-Tex gloves from BMW, Rev'it, Klim, etc. - they will eventually soak through at some point. Guaranteed. Period. This never happens with handlebar covers.

My handlebar covers don't fit on my GSA, so when I'm riding the GSA in the rain, I use the BMW summer Gore-Tex gloves. Light weight, no insulation - only a Gore-Tex membrane to keep the wet out for a little while. They were $130, so not as pricey as the $200-$300 you can spend on some Gore-Tex m/c gloves.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    I don't care how many hundreds of dollars you spend on insulated Gore-Tex gloves from BMW, Rev'it, Klim, etc. - they will eventually soak through at some point. Guaranteed. Period.
    I carry two or three pairs of gloves, if they don't soak through, the inside gets wet with perspiration, so I let them dry out for a day. I'd carry two pairs of boots for the same reason, if it wasn't a pain.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    Wear your favorite gloves year-round with handlebar covers!

You'll be a better rider, too, when you learn how to ride without ever having to look down at the controls on your handlebars.

I couldn't ride year-round in Seattle without handlebar covers. With handlebar covers (aka "HippoHands"), your hands stay warm and dry inside, where the still air allows the heated grips to really work. I don't care how many hundreds of dollars you spend on insulated Gore-Tex gloves from BMW, Rev'it, Klim, etc. - they will eventually soak through at some point. Guaranteed. Period. This never happens with handlebar covers.

My handlebar covers don't fit on my GSA, so when I'm riding the GSA in the rain, I use the BMW summer Gore-Tex gloves. Light weight, no insulation - only a Gore-Tex membrane to keep the wet out for a little while. They were $130, so not as pricey as the $200-$300 you can spend on some Gore-Tex m/c gloves.
    Wow..haven't heard "Hippo Hands" mentioned in a long time! I picked up a pair of these a few years ago and love them for cold weather riding between NOV - MAR Iowa riding season. Never tried them in rain. I can attest to the benefit of dead air helping since heated grips are something I've only heard about.
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Triple digits!

'02 R1150RT

Triple Digits? The All Around Rain Gloves II were $75. Not cheap, but while I wear out other brands in one season these gloves still look new, just mho.
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition