• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1978 R100RS Saddle Bags

airraceaddict

Anyone know if there are replacement latches for the BMW touring bags? My attaching latch/block broke on the left side. I can McGuiver it and probably make it better......... Just curious since they aren't in the OEM Parts Breakdown. Help?

Anyone know if there are replacement latches for the BMW touring bags? My attaching latch/block broke on the left side. I can McGuiver it and probably make it better......... Just curious since they aren't in the OEM Parts Breakdown. Help?

Do you mean the suitcase latches that keep the lids closed? They were available years ago- I replaced them on both of my bags (twice on one), along with the hinges on one. A call to Bob's BMW or MAX BMW might net some results. I'm not sure about the seat belt style latch that keep the bags on the bike, but you might try Mikey at at Martindale Motorcycle Works (Airhead Salvage) in Austin... he might have a used one sitting around.

Do you mean the suitcase latches that keep the lids closed? They were available years ago- I replaced them on both of my bags (twice on one), along with the hinges on one. A call to Bob's BMW or MAX BMW might net some results. I'm not sure about the seat belt style latch that keep the bags on the bike, but you might try Mikey at at Martindale Motorcycle Works (Airhead Salvage) in Austin... he might have a used one sitting around.

Thanks for the input Jim. Yeah, the latch that holds the bag on the bike is the one that broke. I will check with your suggestions and see what they come up with. I was able to McGuiver it with a small chunk of steel and a couple of screws, and it should be okay for the time being. Would be nice to find a new latch. Wish me luck:wave

Do you mean the part that is on the bag or the part that is on the rack?........I have a couple of the rack ones.........God bless......Dennis

Thanks for the input Jim. Yeah, the latch that holds the bag on the bike is the one that broke. I will check with your suggestions and see what they come up with. I was able to McGuiver it with a small chunk of steel and a couple of screws, and it should be okay for the time being. Would be nice to find a new latch. Wish me luck:wave

I bought a set of Hepco Becker "Krauser" replica bags a couple of years back from Bob's to replace my old ones. I really like them, particularly the claw-type latches that are a significant upgrade from the old seatbelt latches on the original bags. It might take a little fussin' around to retrofit them to your bags, as they pop rivet onto the bag rather than being held on with the single screw. But, they latch to the luggage frame very securely. Maybe they might work as an alternative? http://secure.capitalcycle.com/Hepco-Becker-LATCH-ASSEMBLY-BAG-TO-MOUNT/productinfo/700.101+00+01/

I'm happy to take a few photos of mine tomorrow for comparison if it's helpful.

Good luck! :thumb

I replaced both the left and right side latches on my BMW Touring cases over the years. Both developed cracks.

You probably should order over the phone, because they need the code stamped on your case key. Latch comes with three rivets. I screwed up one of the rivets and found they are an odd size (1/2" x 1/8").

Take a look at the Max BMW fiche, should be Diagram 46_0044, item 9?

Barron

Thanks Everyone

Thanks to all for your input. Should be helpful in finding what I am looking for. I will update as soon as I have some resolution to my dilemma, (which isn't a show stopper really, just a tad bit ugly).

follow up...

46542300008_2_B.jpg

8292708131_13b1f9cfcb.jpg

So I have the white krausers. With the seatbelt latch. Am I correct in deducing from this thread that the Max BMW fiche image shown here of the lock is what I can get. It seems to be shown in relation to the later style saddlebag that's a different shape. Would the latch shown be able to be made to work with my earlier style white bag?

Thx! Mark

Attachments

• 46542300008_2_N.jpg
    46542300008_2_N.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 139
Not sure where you are in Germany, but i had a chance to live there and recommend if you are within a couple of hours of Stuttgart, order the parts and then go and pick them up. Siebenrock has a lot of cool stuff in the shop and it is neat to look around. Saves you the shipping.

Second thought, did you see their little pop up window about their booth at Veterama this weekend? If you are near Mannheim, that is worth a day trip. There is a Vetarama web site with an English language page that gives all the details, but it's really a huge flea market for old car and bike parts. It's big and it takes place at the fairgrounds where they have the huge spring market. Go if you can. If this weekend is already booked, put it on the calendar for next year.

One more - take a ride down to the Black Forest and visit Touratech's HQs shop. I didn't end up buying anything, but it is a great ride and fun to say you have been there. Go down the Stuttgart side and back up over Route 500.

Barron

Very cool!

Thanks for the German resources! I am in Berlin and too far from the store so had them mailed to me. Went full bore and got the saddlebag liners too! (somehow things look cheaper when written in euros. and then the credit card bill always surprises me. and never for the better.)

Anxious to see them.

(Begin<Off topic>)

I am here and my assignment got extended three months. Three nice months. Was trying to rent a bike for three months but it seems cheaper to buy. Now the dilemma. What to get for under 3k? I am taking three weeks to do a motorcycle tour in croatia/montenegro/bosnia and was thinking some form of BMW. My ride with the saddlebags in the US is an 81 R100RS. There is a K75 that has my interest.

http://suchen.mobile.de/motorrad-in...435&zipcodeRadius=100&negativeFeatures=EXPORT

(End <off topic>)

Back