• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How do you contact management about warranty issues?

espressoforyou

2005 1200GS with 41,000 miles.

I would appreciate help on how to reach someone with authority on warranty issues.

I have contacted BMW customer support and they are very nice but do not have any authority.

The local BMW service writer is "not friendly or very helpful" and sees my concerns as a problem that he would like to avoid(repeated engine output, transmission input seal replacement).

The local dealer said that I am not able to talk to the BMW regional service rep.

All I want to do is talk to someone with BMW that has authority on warranty issues.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks Randy

2005 1200GS with 41,000 miles.

I would appreciate help on how to reach someone with authority on warranty issues.

I have contacted BMW customer support and they are very nice but do not have any authority.

The local BMW service writer is "not friendly or very helpful" and sees my concerns as a problem that he would like to avoid(repeated engine output, transmission input seal replacement).

The local dealer said that I am not able to talk to the BMW regional service rep.

All I want to do is talk to someone with BMW that has authority on warranty issues.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks Randy

Customer service is able pressure the rep and the dealer. You have to be persistent. And, you may have to negotiate. BMW generally requires all parties to step up for part of the after warranty cost, the company, the dealer, and the customer.

Jack makes a good point. At 41,000 miles the warranty on the bike has expired. But the repair parts and labor should carry their own continuing warranty on that work, so this could be a job warranty issue. That is what needs to be followed up. When was the work done? How many times? By whom? Did the work carry the BMW parts/labor warranty? Still in effect? If the service writer is hostile, how about the shop owner?

This may not be of any help, but the right dealer will go to bat for you to convince BMW to step up to the plate and assume some responsibility. My dealer has talked BMW Canada into underwriting major out-of-warranty repairs that have saved me thousands of dollars over the years.

Thanks for your suggestions on how to get help on warranty issues

Thanks for your replies PGlaves, cjack and 32232.
I am posting the repairs done to the bike, would you guys mind reviewing and give me your opinion on what is going on with the bike. I have the bike in the shop for another probable output, input or counter balance seal leak.

I do not think the bike is repairable. Thanks for your input.

2005 R1200GS vin: WB10317A.........
Owner: Randy in Collierville TN
07-14-2007 Miles: 12,555 First reported oil leak. Service writer said to monitor leak
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04-09-2008 Miles: 15,444 Little Rock BMW Warranty 0004995-134
Defect Code: 1111584800 Shaft sealing ring
Output shaft
Clutch end leaking, installed new clutch
Clutch Plate BMW 21217697737, Shaft Seal BMW 23127683995, Drive Shaft Seal BMW23127656019
Compensating Shaft Seal BMW 11117685005
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10-22-2008 Miles: 3,847??? Little Rock BMW Warranty 0006037-1083
Defect Code: 2312004800 Sealing ring
Input shaft, front leaking
Transmission Input seal BMW 23127705086
02-04-2010 Miles: 27,538 Little Rock BMW Warranty 0008199-3346
Defect Code: 2312004800 Sealing ring
Input shaft, front leaking
Transmission Input seal BMW 23127705086, Compensating shaft seal BMW 1117685005
07-28-2010 Miles: 30,606 Bloodworth Motorcycles Warranty
Defect Code: 1127064800 Shaft sealing ring, Compensating Shaft
Compensating Shaft Seal BMW 11117685005
05-20-2011 Miles: 36,438 Bloodworth Motorcycles Warranty
Output rear/ cylinder clutch
Output Cylinder clutch BMW 21527724542, Seal, Clutch M/C 23127705085

You do a web search for "lemon laws" your state. The return will also pop up lawyer's who do that. Go visit their site. They will contact BMW for you without charge to you. You will be amazed at how quick things get resolved. It really worked for me.

does consumers reports or

somebody else rank moyorcycle manufacturers for 'warranty support'?

i'm guessing bmw may not be first.

You may be right on the unrepairable comment. The sealing ring for the compensating shaft was changed to a larger size in about '08 which should have helped eliminate that leak. BUT, I remember some of them leaking on the showroom floor. BMW said just ride it 50 miles and it'll quit. And I think most of them did. So to fix that one, get an '08.
As to the clutch cyl leak which has caused all your other clutch issues, BMW went to mineral oil instead of brake fluid on the clutch circuit. Fewer issues with the mineral oil version, but I think that changed by '05. One thing some have done is to drill a small hole in the tray under the clutch cylinder where it could leak so the oil can run out instead of contaminating the clutch.
The last two of your fixes are still under warranty...that's little consolation, but if you like the bike otherwise...

I have decided that there is no other brand for me. When a BMW is running, it's the best. I have been very frustrated by some of the stuff like putting 7 fuel gauge strips in the tanks of our K1200Ses...and loose cam chains...and having to put a chain guard in 3 of them at my own expense to prevent the engine from exploding...and having to change the key antenna once on the way to Wyoming, and once on the way to Oregon, both in gas stations...and endless recalls, I forget the rest of the crap, drill a hole here, change these bolts, upgrade this to keep it from dying on a hot day while riding up a steep hill on a curve in traffic, etc. I figure I just need to pay for the bike, and plan on paying for the bike again as I ride it.
But when they are running, they're the best :)

You may be right on the unrepairable comment. The sealing ring for the compensating shaft was changed to a larger size in about '08 which should have helped eliminate that leak. BUT, I remember some of them leaking on the showroom floor. BMW said just ride it 50 miles and it'll quit. And I think most of them did. So to fix that one, get an '08.
As to the clutch cyl leak which has caused all your other clutch issues, BMW went to mineral oil instead of brake fluid on the clutch circuit. Fewer issues with the mineral oil version, but I think that changed by '05. One thing some have done is to drill a small hole in the tray under the clutch cylinder where it could leak so the oil can run out instead of contaminating the clutch.
The last two of your fixes are still under warranty...that's little consolation, but if you like the bike otherwise...

I have decided that there is no other brand for me. When a BMW is running, it's the best. I have been very frustrated by some of the stuff like putting 7 fuel gauge strips in the tanks of our K1200Ses...and loose cam chains...and having to put a chain guard in 3 of them at my own expense to prevent the engine from exploding...and having to change the key antenna once on the way to Wyoming, and once on the way to Oregon, both in gas stations...and endless recalls, I forget the rest of the crap, drill a hole here, change these bolts, upgrade this to keep it from dying on a hot day while riding up a steep hill on a curve in traffic, etc. I figure I just need to pay for the bike, and plan on paying for the bike again as I ride it.
But when they are running, they're the best :)

Not looking to start an argument:fight but you don't make a very good argument for riding BMW.:laugh

Not looking to start an argument:fight but you don't make a very good argument for riding BMW.:laugh

Heh...I don't do I. But keep in mind that with all the frustration I've had since the bulletproof '70s airheads, and the similar K bike bricks, I'm still riding them and I love it. Surely other manufacturers have had similar spells, I don't know about them, but surely. So my case for riding BMWs is the big grin on my face...when it's running.

Having to change ignition points every few thousand miles doesn't count as "bulletproof" to me.

Having to change ignition points every few thousand miles doesn't count as "bulletproof" to me.

Yeah...it wasn't a car, but I could ride to the west coast and back without any issues. I don't remember having to change them to keep going...maybe to let the water out of the front cover :)

Your local shop is a Suzuki shop with a BMW logo on the building.

I think you are out of luck on a 7 year old bike, I hate to say this, but (it seems) with newer BMWs sometimes you get a bad one.

I would dump it and if you still love the brand travel north 180ish miles to a real BMW dealer and buy a new bike from them.

They sell their BMWs dirt cheap in Memphis, but you get little support after the sale.....when people bust their a55 to save $500 on a bike it does not seem like much in the way of savings in these circumstances.

Best of luck, sounds like a tough spot.

Your local shop is a Suzuki shop with a BMW logo on the building.

I think you are out of luck on a 7 year old bike, I hate to say this, but (it seems) with newer BMWs sometimes you get a bad one.

I would dump it and if you still love the brand travel north 180ish miles to a real BMW dealer and buy a new bike from them.

They sell their BMWs dirt cheap in Memphis, but you get little support after the sale.....when people bust their a55 to save $500 on a bike it does not seem like much in the way of savings in these circumstances.

Best of luck, sounds like a tough spot.

He IS in warranty on the last two repairs. If u use BMW parts, u gotta 2 year warranty.

He IS in warranty on the last two repairs. If u use BMW parts, u gotta 2 year warranty.

The parts warranty means nothing......how much is that? The labor for changing those parts is not covered is it? (I'm not certain)

Again, the right dealer makes all the difference in the world. The wrong dealer makes it a royal PITA.

Grass Roots BMW has a great reputation

SCQTT, thanks for your input. I like your line about the Memphis dealer is Suzuki shop with a BMW logo on the building.

The local BMW chapter called the RAMS is very pro Grass Roots.

I am pretty sure the labor is included when the parts go bad under warranty.

I will keep you posted on the challenge in getting this repair covered under warranty.

cjack, thanks for studing the repair history so carefully

You had to really study the repair history to notice that the compensating shaft and the clutch cylinder are still covered under warranty. I am not sure if there is any other seals that can go bad in that area other than the engine output, transmission input and clutch cylinder seal. My concern is that it might be the engine output shaft seal that is bad this time and is out of parts and labor warranty which means they will want me to pay the $1,500 plus bill.

I plan on going down fighting. I will keep you posted.

The parts warranty means nothing......how much is that? The labor for changing those parts is not covered is it? (I'm not certain)

Again, the right dealer makes all the difference in the world. The wrong dealer makes it a royal PITA.

Actually the parts warranty includes labor no matter who did the labor to install the part as I read the warranty on BMW parts a few years ago. I thought at the time that it was quite generous.

BMW MOA Volunteer

The BMW MOA has a person whom is called "Consumer Liaison." From the ON, I found that he's Jim Wright, lives in NC, and gives telephone number of 828-817-9135, and email of: wrightjkwright@gmail.com

I have a similar role in the BMW CCA (Car Club of America), and my title there is "Ombudsman." I can tell you that the BMW NA Customer Service people are always pleased to speak with you, but have very little ability (in my five years of experience with them) to help resolve a problem. I have had some success with speaking to supervisors of the CS people.

Thanks ExGMam and cjack for your suggestions

cjack, I think you are correct on the 2 year parts and labor warranty. Two of the four possible leaking seals are still with-in the 2 year time frame(compensating shaft seal and output cylinder clutch/seal). The best I can tell the engine output seal was last replaced on 04-2008 and the transmission input seal on 02-2010.

ExGMan, Paul Glaves had the same suggestion about contacting the Ombudsman/Consumer Liaison. Thanks for the info on Jim Wright. I will send him an email over the weekend and contact by phone next week.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions. I will keep you posted.

Back