• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Experience w/R12RT Bushtec or DMC Hitch?

mneblett

I should be picking up a 2012 R12RT in a few days, so it is time to figure out how to pull my trailer.

From my web searching, it appears the only two candidates with hitches for the R12RT are Bushtec and DMC Sidecars/Dauntless.

Could I please get some feedback from users? I'm in particular looking for a very stiff hitch.

I previously pulled a Bushtec Quantum with multiple K12LT's using a Bushtec hitch, which was stout, so I know how strong that style of hitch can be -- how rigid are either of these hitches in the R12RT application?

BTW, if I've missed an alternative hitch, or there's any other factors I should be considering, please chime in. For example, it appears the DMC hitch requires small slots to be cut in the L/R tail side panels, while the Bushtec is a no-cutting install. Anything else?

Thanks! :thumb

hitches

I have a DMC Dauntless hitch on my LT. It was easily installed and is very well made. Rear wheel can be easily taken off and hitch does not interfere with the removal. It is a well engineered add-on. Very well made. I pull an aluma trailer and can not tell it's back there.

I have a DMC Dauntless hitch on my LT. It was easily installed and is very well made. Rear wheel can be easily taken off and hitch does not interfere with the removal. It is a well engineered add-on. Very well made. I pull an aluma trailer and can not tell it's back there.
Thanks for the input.

I actually have an old Dauntless LT hitch in the garage, as well as a K16 DMC hitch. Surprisingly, there seems to be very little info on any R12RT hitches on the web (other than the vendor websites). That's why I'm seeing whether I can hunt up some first-hand R12RT-specific experience. :thumb

I have a Dauntless hitch on my 2002 1150RT. Is is a sturdy and well made hitch. It does not interfere with the saddlebags or with wheel removal. The draw bar is removable, so when you are not towing you cannot really tell a hitch is installled. My only complaint is that my trailer had 8 inch wheels and rode quite tonque high. I had a friend of mine make a draw bar that was longer and dropped the ball so that the trailer tonque is level when towing. This was a big improvement!

John

Back