• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

75' R75/6 caliper adjustment

scottr

How critical is the caliper adjustment for good braking on a 75' R75/6 with an ATE caliper?

I've rebuilt the caliper and master cylinder and still seem to have not so effective front braking. The pads are new as well. The system bleeds well and I have good pressure on the brake lever.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Scott Rugen

It has to be reasonably close and it's not hard to do. See your manual, there's an eccentric under the cover on the bottom of the caliper. It's awkward but easier to see if you work from the opposite side of the caliper.

And the braking will never be all that good.

It is kind of fiddly (like a lot of things on these bikes). But, it is actually pretty simple, just takes a little time.

Do a search on ATE on this forum and you will find a couple of really good step by step with some tips and tricks.

I do it this way -

After you get the cap screw off (and the spring) use a big screwdriver or a bolt that threads into the center (the fender brace bolts are the right size)so you can turn the concentric pin. If you haven't removed it and given it a nice coat of grease lately, you should probably do that first. Anyway, as you rotate the pin, watch the inside pad, you can see it move parallel to the rotor, slightly back, angled a bit, then slightly forward. Line it up by sight, as close to parallel with the rotor as you can. Use a dry erase marker and put some stripes (in the same direction as the spokes) on the rotor. Ride the bike a bit and see how well the pad wipes off the stripes. You will see right away if the pad needs adjustment. Rotate the pin a bit, redraw the stripe, ride a bit, until you have the pads wiping the stripes off completely.

Barron

I replaced the rotor with a rotor from EBC. I used the dry erase marker method. I had the cylinder resleeved by apple hydraulics.

As said, you'll never get braking power with a single /6 disc that will lock up the front wheel. But, with my setup now, with the pads embedding better, I get adequate braking around town. Nothing to brag about, and you will build up a lot of muscle in your right hand from that brake!

Back