• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Crested Butte, CO to Paonia?

tvgal2000

I love to lurk!
I'm planning on riding around CO a bit after the RA rally and wanted to ride west out of Crested Butte on Co. Hwy. 12. I've got Steve Farson's Colorado motorcycling book and he says that route is unpaved.

Has anyone ridden that road? Is it doable for someone riding alone or would I be better off riding with someone because the road is a challenge?

A bit of info about me - I'm an intermediate street rider with a some off-road training but not a lot of off-road experience. Gravel is not my favorite but I can ride it if it's not too soft.... and I live in Wisconsin (some twisties, lots of flat roads since we don't have mountains... but I don't own a H-D ;-)

Thanks in advance for any info! :thumb

A bit more than 30 miles of dirt. Usually well graded and maintained, have driven many crappy old two wheel drive cars over and back. I wouldn't do it if it was muddy on a road bike. Spectacular views.

i second that! It's always been well maintained and has the most lovely views!

And the paved road leading to the gravel is magnificent!

Voni
sMiling

The last time I rode it, it was being "maintained" by chewing it all up and then spraying it with magnesium chloride and there was a full dress HD in front of me riding thru the slop. :groovy

It baked onto the engine in my K 1100 LT and was on there the day I sold it.

Once that stuff dries, it gives a smooth, level road.

Enjoy the ride!

Ridden that road several times with others on our K1200LT. As Voni states, it's a "must do" road even if there wasn't another rally at the end of the road. Though the road is gravel, it is well maintained and should pose no inordinate challenges for a road bike. Take a picnic lunch and pause in the upland meadow enjoying the views.

CENTER]CENTER][/CENTER]It was the bike that got us together. However, it's the people that keep us together.
[/CENTER]

Gary​

Thanks all!

I appreciate the collective wisdom of the forum - I was pretty sure that there was SOMEONE who had ridden that road (shoulda figured Voni had already done it!)

I'm looking forward to riding it and will definitely pack a lunch! Thanks for the suggestion!

:thumb

Sarah,

Can echo what others have said. You will be fine, and if alone, you won't be so for long, for others are on this great road drinking in the distracting scenery. FWIW,an obscure reference in the book notes the video hosting site where you can watch previews of (or re-live) every road/ride/journey. For Kebler Pass (on an overcast day)... http://rmridervideo.com/?cat=54

Steve

Steve,

thanks for the link! And thanks for writing such a great book! The video was very helpful - gave me an idea of what to expect (and a chance to re-live a ride over Loveland Pass!)

I'm now REALLY looking forward to getting to Colorado!

:wave

Rode it today from Crested Butte, they were grading it midway in the aspens. The sign said it was scheduled the 12-14th. Once that is finished it will be better. I had no issues except running up on the grader crews. They at least warned me they were going to wet it down if I wanted to get ahead of them.

Attachments

• P6130022.jpg
    P6130022.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 121
Back