• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Garmin Zumo 350LM coming this fall

It jumps around from page to page; "view map" on home screen is orange

Mine started to do this last week. the "Menu" button was orange also, but it cleared after I hit the music button. I think it's ready to take a dump :(

I have the Zumo 550 and use it with the XM Pod (hockey puck) inside the fairing on my Ultra Classic (on radio chassis); then use it on my '11 Ford F250; and I have an extra Ram mount to use it on my R100RT. I use the odometer feature for the RT since my odometer is not working. I've been happy with it up until about a month ago when I loaded the latest map it will no longer program a route (everything else works). I've tried reverting to the older map version, but no luck. I noticed there was no mention of XM on the new 350, wonder if it's coming at a later date for another $225+-.

I have 3 Garmins, all with lifetime maps. I have to do 3 separate downloads of the same maps to install! I talked to Garmin and suggested that maybe they could improve on this situation but got nothing more than "that's the way it is"

I recently bought a Nuvi 1490 and scouring the GPS boards learned a few things.
1. Even if you have lifetime maps, use the Dashboard at mygarmin to update maps. Apparently the lifetime map updater is pretty buggy.
2. When updating maps hit the options selection and download to both the Gps and the computer. You can always go back to the Dashboard and download again to your computer.
3. Basecamp uses the maps on the unit, Mapsource uses the unlocked maps on your computer. Personally I still prefer Mapsource, but Basecamp is pretty good too.
4. Routes differ between Mapsource and the GPS because the GPS just reads a route as a series of turns/stops and "rebuilds" the route. Because the GPS has preferences like "no highways" that Mapsource doesn't, they often differ. Try the Harley Davidson trip planner, it is awesome.
5. Backup the unit always before updating maps and firmware. Easy to do, just show hidden and system files, select all files and directories on the GPS (ctrl +a in the root directory) and copy to a directory you've made on your computer.

Back