• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Garmin Zumo 350LM coming this fall

I hope Garmin has addressed more than just being blue tooth compatible. That would be a real let down and will be a downer for sales.

I'd buy it if Garmin could guarantee that routes designed on the computer would be uploaded to the device as they are without the device adding loops and detours. I'm sitting here now working on uploading the same route for the 8th time. (It's a 384 mile route on MapSource that shows up as a 400 mile route when I transfer it to the Zumo). Took me 9 times yesterday to get a route right. This has happened as long as I've owned a Garmin. The response from Garmin support is, "That can't be happening." So I guess I've been hallucinating for the past four years.

$700 - that's funny

My 550 is still plugging away

I'm pretty sure the 550 was $799. I did own two of them at one time. Sold them for a good price when the 660 and 665 came out because they would no longer hold all the maps and they are far slower than the newer models. They weren't working well enough for me anymore, but I've always been bleeding edge slaphappy geeky anyway. :D

I'd buy it if Garmin could guarantee that routes designed on the computer would be uploaded to the device as they are without the device adding loops and detours. I'm sitting here now working on uploading the same route for the 8th time. (It's a 384 mile route on MapSource that shows up as a 400 mile route when I transfer it to the Zumo). Took me 9 times yesterday to get a route right. This has happened as long as I've owned a Garmin. The response from Garmin support is, "That can't be happening." So I guess I've been hallucinating for the past four years.

It happens because of differences in the map sets and differences between versions of Mapsource. Make sure you have the latest of everything.

It happens because of differences in the map sets and differences between versions of Mapsource. Make sure you have the latest of everything.

Nope, that's not it. I finally gave up on getting the one right I was working on today. There's an intersection where one road passes under another one and then merges with it. MapSource can handle that but the Zumo absolutely can't get it right.

Wait for a different review

The link to the review revealed the "reviewer" does not have a clue about who uses the product.

"Stat-happy bikers can record their chopper's maintenance work with the service history log feature and use Garmin's Basecamp utility to plan out trips beforehand."

I don't think I have ever seen a GPS on a "chopper" and not many "bikers" use them either.

I don't think I have ever seen a GPS on a "chopper" and not many "bikers" use them either.

As the dress-like-a-pirate motorcyclist set ages, they may need a GPS to find their way to the closest ice cream shop so that they can hang out in the parking lot to argue about who has done the most aftermarket customization.

Nope, that's not it. I finally gave up on getting the one right I was working on today. There's an intersection where one road passes under another one and then merges with it. MapSource can handle that but the Zumo absolutely can't get it right.

It is and it isn't accurate. Best way to get what you want without going through all the version and firmware stuff is to use a lot of waypoints and recalculate the route after you load it on the GPS.

This usually happens when the maps on your computer and the maps on your GPS aren't the same versions.

That said - I'm uncertain how to update the map on my computer to the same version as on my GPS (Nav-III). I have lifetime maps for the GPS.. but updating them on the GPS using Garmin's tools doesn't automatically update them on the computer.

Anyone have an idea?

but updating them on the GPS using Garmin's tools doesn't automatically update them on the computer.

Anyone have an idea?

There's an option that will update the maps in both places. It's there in the download process, don't recall exactly. It might say options or advanced or something like that.

Take the process slow, screen by screen. It's not buried too deep, but it is down one layer.

I'm pretty sure the 550 was $799. I did own two of them at one time. Sold them for a good price when the 660 and 665 came out because they would no longer hold all the maps and they are far slower than the newer models. They weren't working well enough for me anymore, but I've always been bleeding edge slaphappy geeky anyway. :D

Dont know exactly - got a factory refurb a while back thought it was about 400

Nothing wrong with being an early adopter but I did learn my lesson with my KGT 1300 :bolt

In the map updater utility go to settings and you'll see the option to load to comp and device.

Thanks. Found it. As is usual with Garmin - totally unintuitive. And it appears if you've already updated the GPS maps (which I did a few weeks ago).. it's not immediately evident how to update the computer maps later. It appears (it's doing it now) if I select to "reinstall" - it will do the computer map update (maybe.)

Will report back when it's done.

The update only took about 4 hours to complete.. :(

First time it downloaded the files - then got stuck on 72 minutes remaining.. so I killed it. I then checked for an update of the updater (which I installed about 3 weeks ago) - and there was one, so it went and updated the updater.

Second time - it insisted on downloading the maps again (and even at 30Mb/Sec - fiber speed - it took a good 30 minutes.. I think they need a faster server..) and then installing them. Again seemed to hang at 72 minutes, but I had somewhere to go so I just left it there. When I came back about 90 minutes later it was down to 2 minutes for finishing the install. That only took about 20 minutes.

FINALLY it reported success.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that the web based installer at Garmin's site is a better choice, but can't recall any option to update the stored maps on my computer.

Now the question is - can I just copy the new maps over to other computers I have MapSource installed on, or do I have to go through the whole deal again?

When I tried to load the map update a few weeks ago it killed my Zumo. Garmin "only" charged me $60 to replace it. Pretty irritating.

Garmin 450 going looney tunes

It jumps around from page to page; have reset (according to garmin instructions)--any kind of "hard" reset available to possible fix?
For instance, when I touch "view map" on home screen, it turns orange, and doesn 't go to map.
any ideas?

Back