Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Garmin Zumo 350LM coming this fall

Let's hope the LM doesn't stand for Lost Motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by kltk165 View Post
    In the map updater utility go to settings and you'll see the option to load to comp and device.
    Thanks. Found it. As is usual with Garmin - totally unintuitive. And it appears if you've already updated the GPS maps (which I did a few weeks ago).. it's not immediately evident how to update the computer maps later. It appears (it's doing it now) if I select to "reinstall" - it will do the computer map update (maybe.)

Will report back when it's done.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

The update only took about 4 hours to complete..

First time it downloaded the files - then got stuck on 72 minutes remaining.. so I killed it. I then checked for an update of the updater (which I installed about 3 weeks ago) - and there was one, so it went and updated the updater.

Second time - it insisted on downloading the maps again (and even at 30Mb/Sec - fiber speed - it took a good 30 minutes.. I think they need a faster server..) and then installing them. Again seemed to hang at 72 minutes, but I had somewhere to go so I just left it there. When I came back about 90 minutes later it was down to 2 minutes for finishing the install. That only took about 20 minutes.

FINALLY it reported success.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that the web based installer at Garmin's site is a better choice, but can't recall any option to update the stored maps on my computer.

Now the question is - can I just copy the new maps over to other computers I have MapSource installed on, or do I have to go through the whole deal again?
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Steve
    When I tried to load the map update a few weeks ago it killed my Zumo. Garmin "only" charged me $60 to replace it. Pretty irritating.

Garmin 450 going looney tunes

It jumps around from page to page; have reset (according to garmin instructions)--any kind of "hard" reset available to possible fix?
    For instance, when I touch "view map" on home screen, it turns orange, and doesn 't go to map.
    any ideas?
    On Ice

Quote Originally Posted by RTRandy View Post
    Let's hope the LM doesn't stand for Lost Motorcycle.
    Yes. Actually it's "Lifetime Maps", but I suspect you knew that.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by djdgh View Post
    It jumps around from page to page; "view map" on home screen is orange
    Mine started to do this last week. the "Menu" button was orange also, but it cleared after I hit the music button. I think it's ready to take a dump
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE
    1984 Kawasaki 750 Turbo E1

I have the Zumo 550 and use it with the XM Pod (hockey puck) inside the fairing on my Ultra Classic (on radio chassis); then use it on my '11 Ford F250; and I have an extra Ram mount to use it on my R100RT. I use the odometer feature for the RT since my odometer is not working. I've been happy with it up until about a month ago when I loaded the latest map it will no longer program a route (everything else works). I've tried reverting to the older map version, but no luck. I noticed there was no mention of XM on the new 350, wonder if it's coming at a later date for another $225+-.
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

I have 3 Garmins, all with lifetime maps. I have to do 3 separate downloads of the same maps to install! I talked to Garmin and suggested that maybe they could improve on this situation but got nothing more than "that's the way it is"
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

I recently bought a Nuvi 1490 and scouring the GPS boards learned a few things.
    1. Even if you have lifetime maps, use the Dashboard at mygarmin to update maps. Apparently the lifetime map updater is pretty buggy.
    2. When updating maps hit the options selection and download to both the Gps and the computer. You can always go back to the Dashboard and download again to your computer.
    3. Basecamp uses the maps on the unit, Mapsource uses the unlocked maps on your computer. Personally I still prefer Mapsource, but Basecamp is pretty good too.
    4. Routes differ between Mapsource and the GPS because the GPS just reads a route as a series of turns/stops and "rebuilds" the route. Because the GPS has preferences like "no highways" that Mapsource doesn't, they often differ. Try the Harley Davidson trip planner, it is awesome.
    5. Backup the unit always before updating maps and firmware. Easy to do, just show hidden and system files, select all files and directories on the GPS (ctrl +a in the root directory) and copy to a directory you've made on your computer.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages