• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Ride Report Mt. Rushmore Trip

Jon

Wave to motorcycle cops
Prior to my 2 up trip to Mt Rushmore members on the fourm gave great input. The trip is complete and I wanted to share some facts. Round trip 3909 miles, 11 States touched; NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, SD, WY & IA. Best day 540 miles, best leg 220 miles. Fuel $351.37, Tolls $38.45 and lodging $873.44.

Things that went right.
09 K1200 LT serviced by MAX BMW of CT ran flawless
Aerostitch Vegan summer gloves worked great on the warm days still like my Held gloves
Aerostitch rubber boot covers, west bound was warm and dry, east bound was cold and wet.
Russell Day Long Saddle, worked great
Nolan N104 helmets for both of us worked well communications gear failed
LD comfort riding shorts worked well.
I attached a "Chase Harper" barrel bag to my passengers right side case grab handle worked well as a place to keep stuff handy.

Things that went worng.
Nolan B4 communications kit big failure, we lost intercom halfway through ride. When I received the set up it had a added instruction sheet that spoke of an inherent problem where a flat wire comes loose, it did and I call "Joe" in tech support and he walked me through fixing it. Test ride worked fine and half the trip worked fine. One morning ready to set off it failed big time back on the phone from the motel room with the helmet taken apart did nothing. I am waiting for a replacement and I hope they issue a recall and repair the weak point. If you have a B4 communitactions call Joe 630 671 9710. I will give Nolan a chance to make this right but what a disapointment to spend hours on a sight seeing trip with no intercom.

An observation
My wife did a great job with navagation and co-driver. Maps extra head checks with lane changes, water, food and being a good sport in the cold and wet.
I noticed that people dont look out the windows of their cars, kids and adults have their face up against electronic devises. It use to be on a long trip as you passed other cars especially on a motorcycle you would get everything from stares to smiles with a thumbs up

Motel rooms need more power outlets
IMG-20120529-00074.jpg

President Roosevelt

Liked your report, Jon. Sounds like a great trip to a wonderful destination. Thanks

I also was taken by your quote at the end. I have always been an admirer of Teddy Roosevelt and I have long thought he was one of your best Presidents. Do you happen to know when he was a Colonel and when he said the quote?

Cheers.

Liked your report, Jon. Sounds like a great trip to a wonderful destination. Thanks

I also was taken by your quote at the end. I have always been an admirer of Teddy Roosevelt and I have long thought he was one of your best Presidents. Do you happen to know when he was a Colonel and when he said the quote?

Cheers.

here's half the answer:
Upon the 1898 Declaration of War launching the Spanish-American War, Roosevelt resigned from the Navy Department. With the aid of U.S. Army Colonel Leonard Wood, Roosevelt found volunteers from cowboys from the Western territories to Ivy League friends from New York, forming the First U.S. Volunteer Cavalry Regiment. The newspapers called them the "Rough Riders."

Originally, Roosevelt held the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and served under Colonel Wood. In Roosevelt's own account, The Rough Riders, "after General Young was struck down with the fever, Wood took charge of the brigade. This left me in command of the regiment, of which I was very glad, for such experience as we had had is a quick teacher." Accordingly, Wood was promoted to Brigadier General of Volunteer Forces, and Roosevelt was promoted to Colonel and given command of the Regiment

Cheers.

Well that say about all, but my grandmother lived on the farm next to Col. Roosevelt, her father was the care taker there in Oyster Bay NY Twice she met him at church and was given an autographed book from him "Little Women" for being able to recite all the books of the Bible by heart. For the rest of her life my grandmother and her sister flew the Flag on her front porch every Holiday which she included Col. Roosevelt's Birthday.

IMG-20120528-00069.jpg

Back