• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

russell day long

The couple folks I know with them LOVE them. I thought about one for the K1200 RS but they seem a little big and clunky.... the bike is so sleek, I hate to mess with the lines! Talk to me in a few weeks, after my trip to Nova Scotia.... I may have a change of heart...or, er..... SOME part of me may change its "mind"...

Almost all the feedback I've seen on rider forums about the RDL has been positive. Empirically it seems to have the most positive comments from riders than any other seat.

My butt hurts after a short while on my stock seat even with an Airhawk cushion. However I don't like the looks of the RDL. It also raises you about 1/2" or more from what I've heard. When you come to a stop, if your legs just reached the ground with the standard seat you will learn to slide your butt forward to stand over the thinnest part of the seat. That's just the internet chatter that I've observed.

But if I keep riding in pain, I could see myself breaking down and getting one.

Day-Long Delight

I've had a Russell Day-Long on my 2009 RT for the last 2 years and I love it, it's the best motorcycle accessory I've ever bought. I got the half moon pattern in black vinyl and it's holding up quite well and with this stitching pattern it limits the ability of water to leak in through the stitching seams. The service is great too, I spoke to the guy that built my saddle on the phone before he started. I'm a short rider that is inseam challenged, and it will raise you up about 1-1 1/2 ", but I have adjusted to this and manage pretty well with it. Russell Day Long was recommended to me by an Iron Butt rider in my club that has done the 48 States+ Alaska Ride in 8 days and change. I figure if it's good enough for him and the distance he does, it would certainly work for me. Speaking only from my experience, Buy one....you'll be glad you did.

I took the time to take pictures and filled out the order form,I ordered the half moon stiching,all leather heated with the back rest system if it works out I'll dump my air hawk cushion and back up back rest. I'll post later on the results thanks for the input

1200+miles in two days

My butt never hurt, 620 miles in less than 12 hours at legal speeds. Russel Day Long is the best seat by far I have ever owned.

Excellent comfort. Caution if you are inseam-challenged, though. There are volumes of feedback/information in this thread if you search for "russell day long" using the search tool in the upper right of the screen.

Rdl

I called today and asked about a ride in appointment, had thought about riding out after the RA rally. They must be doing something right, their next available appt is not until Sept 20. I grabbed it and am going to start planning a trip around that time to CA and maybe down the coast. I've heard great things about them but will just have to make do with the stock seat and my airhawk on the R1200RT until then.

With the misnamed "BMW Comfort Seat" I could go for about 300 miles before I was in such pain I'd scootch back to the passenger seat or stand on the pegs to relieve the discomfort. With my RDL I haven't had ANY discomfort in the butt area. None. Sometimes I get tired after 400 miles or so, but that's because the only reason I stop is to get gas. Gotta work on taking a 5 minute break every once in a while. I stopped and took my first photos on Sunday. So I'm progressing.

I've had three

The first one, on a K100LT, took me on an IBA 50CC ride, Jacksonville to San Diego, 46:10. At the end, every part of my body hurt but my butt. Subsequent two have been equally good.

First one lasted ~110,000 miles, and was sold with the bike.
Second one lasted 122,000 miles, and was sold with the bike.
Third one has 27,000 miles. This time, I opted for the leather. It's doing fine.

Other than my divorce lawyer, best money I ever spent.

The replacement seat market is crowded with pretenders; some of them are really good, um, salesmen. It's comical to hear riders' stories when they bought from a pretender, and don't want to quite admit they're unhappy, because Rocky or Rick, or Sam or Gary is "the nicest guy."

All three of mine were made from photos, not a ride-in. It worked fine for me. But, doing a ride-in is a fine excuse for a little jaunt over to northern California.:)

day long

That's what I'm thinking, a perfect excuse to ride to that part of the country for a week or 2 in Sept. I started a trip down the coast last year on a Harley until a Prius driver decided to turn left in front of me. The end result was a totaled bike but fortunately, no injuries to me. I think I'll ride out to get the seat made, then give it a good test riding down the coast a ways before I turn back east.

Sent my seat to RDL over winter only have 800 miles on it now. With original seat one hour into ride and you shifting around trying to get comfortable. I have only used it for a couple four to five hour round trips and the best thing I can say is you are no longer aware of your seat you just ride. At only 5'10" when I stop it is harder to reach the ground thats just to bad because they can not have it back.

Have had mine three years, all the good things everyone says is true...

Only negative for me was the dished shape of the seat capturing water.
Compared to the OEM or a Corbin I had, with the RDL you end up sitting
in a puddle in heavy downpours. The other seats were "self draining".
Not so the RDL. I had soggy butt the first time I got into some good rain.

But a significant upgrade to the rain pants (Gore wasn't cutting it) and all is dry again.

Sent my seat to RDL over winter only have 800 miles on it now. With original seat one hour into ride and you shifting around trying to get comfortable. I have only used it for a couple four to five hour round trips and the best thing I can say is you are no longer aware of your seat you just ride. At only 5'10" when I stop it is harder to reach the ground thats just to bad because they can not have it back.

Your legs will get longer after it's broken in.

Had one on a K 1100 LT. Very comfortable.

On my R 1100 RT I had a Sargent and a Corbin, neither which was that great for my shape butt.

Then I put on a Kontour right before the Redmond Rally. Did the Redmond 1000 IBA ride on it. Never thought about the seat at all.

Ordering one for the R 1100 R I bought on Monday.:thumb

Back