• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1979 R65 Headlight Assembly Questions.

mikeentner

I took the headlight assembly apart to see if the bulb's low beam filament (I guess it does have one) was burned out. When I did this, I noticed that there is a hole in the reflector portion for a smaller bulb. Is something supposed to go there? Also, the high beam works find but low is a no-go, and I changed the bulb with a new one (even though both filaments looked ok. Would this most likely be a switch issue, wiring issue, or some other thing?

The small hole in the reflector - if it is where I think it is - is for a small, ~4W bulb that is the "parking light" - that should be on when the keyswitch is in the proper position.

Have you got a wire with a receptacle for a small bulb laying loose inside of there?........Don't know if the R65 had that bulb......maybe a look at a parts fische will tell more?????????..............Maybe a schematic would disclose this also.......God bless......Dennis

With thanks to MAXBMW's webpage

B0002028.png

Item #6 (above)
62148680130_1_B.jpg

You should have something similar to this /6 rig to hold the 4W "parking" bulb (the white circular shape under the main bulb)

18.jpg

As with ALL German vehicles ...

yellow wire = low beam
white wire = high beam
brown wire = ground

With thanks to MAXBMW's webpage

B0002028.png

Item #6 (above)
62148680130_1_B.jpg

You should have something similar to this /6 rig to hold the 4W "parking" bulb (the white circular shape under the main bulb)

18.jpg

ah yes...this is missing. I read somewhere it might be Euro-spec only. I would like to get that working too, but I just can't seem to find the low beam issue. I'm guessing a circuit problem -- lots of corrosion :-/

Back