• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trailer Hitch

bmr bill

Any advice on where to find or how to put a hitch on an R100 RS. Not afraid to do some fabricating. Many thanks for your assistance.

This was on my 81 R100RT until I sold it to another rider. It was a homemade hitch (not by me) and worked great. I towed a small homebuilt trailer (cut-down Northern Tool Trailer kit with a cartop carrier) for several thousand miles one summer.

Attachments

• IMG_2147.jpg
    IMG_2147.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 269
One more thought. You'll probably hear from some that you must have a swivel hitch. I worked around that by using a ball with a thin neck which allowed the tongue plenty of room for movement without binding while leaned over. It was never a problem, even on the twisties riding two-up in Colorado. Hope this helps.

Thumbs down on the ball type hitch!!

I Hit a curb with the inside trailer wheel, trailer rolled over 360 degrees and back on the wheels.

If that had been a ball hitch it would have pulled the bike down.

I Hit a curb with the inside trailer wheel, trailer rolled over 360 degrees and back on the wheels.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Don't hit the curb.

Ball Hitch

I would never pull a trailer with a swivle hitch. Hers why. Going through Houston in the outside lane a 70 MPH I passed a car in the right lane. The car whipped out behind me and hit the Trailer. The trailer went up on its side and stayed there. If I had been using a swivel hitch i belive the trailer would have fliped over on its top that had lawn chairs and swung around an pulled the bike down. The trailer toung was 2" sq tubing and was twisted.

Single wheel hitch

On the second page of the thread i'm going to list are a pair of home built single wheel trailers. The U-joint of the hitch is what I find interesting. Vertical movement is at the attachment at the bike. Horizontal movement is at the trailer. All of it is attached at the trailer. none is left to hang on the bike when not in use. So it saves a bit of weight. www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=420047#Post420047

Last edited:
One concern with the Reynolds hitch is that it is designed to be used with the Reynolds rack. I was fortunate to be able to buy a hitch three years ago NOS from Repcycle. The main stress element is the attachment to the footpegs thus the machine's frame.

The secondary attachment points are two, (one each side) lugs near the back of the hitch. Without the Reynolds rack, another means to support the rear of the hitch is needed.

Struts to connect between the top shock absorber bolts to the attachment points on the hitch were fabricated from 1/2" crs rod about 20 in long. Appropriate tabs were welded on the ends for attachment. A pair of offset bends are needed to clear the rear of the Krauser cases. A change in the safety chain attachment was needed for clearance at the tongue.

So far the hitch has worked well. I pull a Harbor freight trailer mounting an older Sears Ex-cargo, 18 cu ft.

I'm sure a clever craftsman could easily duplicate the Reynolds Hitch.

Are any of you with hitches headed to Sedalia, MO in July? I'm planning to add a hitch to my '78 R100/7 and would like to see how they are constructed and attached..

Linited swivel hitch??

After mentioning the swivel vs non swivel hitch with my clever friend he suggested the possibility of fabricating a swivel hitch which would limit the capacity of the swivel to rotate. Hopefully having the best of both types. The plan is to make it so that it will bolt between the hitch and the tongue on the trailer for simplicity of installation. Adding several inches to the tongue should not be a significant change, shortening the tongue would be another option.

I'm thinking somewhere around 45?? to 60?? each side might do the trick.

Do any of you foresee any problems or issues with this?

Andy

My Bush-Tec only flipped 180 deg but the bike was not affected and I just flipped the trailer back on its wheels and continued home.

Thanks

Thank you all for your suggestions.. Headed out 17Jul from Denver, CO to Sedalia, MO.. Hope to see ya there..

Back