• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How many day are really needed for rally?

i-scream-stop

iscream-stop
I guess my wife is going to ride down to rally with me, and was wondering how much time is really needed to get everything in. She is limited on vacation time and we were thinking about seeing and staying a ways away from Site. The thought was to stay in Hotel Thurs. on way there and camp there Friday nite because of the awards ceremony. I would kinda hate to put her (and ME) thru a hot sweaty nite on ground Friday if we could see and do about everything in one day. Concerts and beer garden are great for some but not really our thing so that is not a deal maker. This is my first rally so I am excited to go but I am not a super social person and don't know anyone so its just for the BMW stuff and vendors and to bring home the new bike i'm going to win.

Please come, enjoy;

Tough question! I've camped at about 25 of these now and stay for the duration at all of'em. Yep, it can be warm out and get little sleep at times, but its alright for once a year:) and the tradeoff is hanging out with soooo many like minded BMW folk. "Lots to learn",eg;seminars, etc... Yes, you can see all the vendors in a day and much more, is your answer. I happen to like the once a year gathering of so many in one place and stay for it all:). Entertainment should be exceptionally great this year and has been previous years too. Awards ceremony? Its a love/hate relationship for many many members, take it as you wish. Most attend:). Randy:thumb

Different

Every event offers different things for the people who attend. I attended my first BMWMOA rally in the early 70s; the hosts were my neighbors, Mark and Sue Atria. It was a great gathering and was a part of the "early years".

I have been to 100s of rallys all over the world and each had its own 'character". The "best", IMHO, has been the BMWRA at The Biltmore house in Asheville, NC. Of course everyone will have their own "best".

Bloomsburg was incredible for me. I arrived early (Tuesday) and helped with the stage setup. I arrived early enough that I found a camping spot under the tree to the left of the stage.

I only attended a couple of the "speeches" because I was busy exploring the area around the rally site. I had some incredible rides.

The vendors were all terrific. It is a great opportunity to try out a lot of products you have seen online and read about in the forums.

I ended up buying a hi-vis jacket fro Scorpion on Saturday afternoon. I got a great price because the vendor was packing up and it would be one less thing he had to lug back home.

Sunday morning at the rally had its own "flavor". We were the ones who did not cut tail and run from the heat. It is hard to explain.

I encourage you to take in as much of the rally as you can.

I volunteered to help with this rally too. It is a good way to meet great people and gain a deeper understanding as to what it takes to make a successful rally.

Have a safe trip.

.... and was wondering how much time is really needed to get everything in.

I've only been to three; VT, TN and PA. But I'd need at least 7 days to fit everything in. Great vendors, meeting new and old friends, volunteering, riding some, demo rides, vintage bikes and other displays.

And the seminars; haven't made a single one yet! But they have been on the list of things to do each time.

Last edited:
We arrive two days early for Camp Gears (Tuesday-Wednesday) and then generally stay till Sunday morning. I need to go to several seminars and I present two or three myself. It will take a few hours to do yourself justice with vendors unless you don't need or want to look at much.

I could do a rally in a day and a half, but would miss out on socializing with lots of friends I see only once a year, if that.

You get out of the rally what you put in.

Our first rally was Vermont. We had a good time but nothing spectacular. We showed up, wandered around for a few days, and left.

Our next rally, Bloomsburg, was one of the best times we've ever had. We volunteered, met 100 new friends, spent a week riding and socializing and it all ended too soon. I do contribute our fun to the volunteering part. Without doing so, we would have never met so many fine folks that I am now honored to count among my friends.

So I guess there is no easy answer to your question.

It was going to be just me and I was planning on camping there at least three nights because I have time. When my wife found out she could go and kids were not going to be a problem, everything changed. My whole trip has to be crammed into a few days, The rally has just become a destination that I have to arrange the trip around.
If it was just me I would just hop on interstate and get there, with my wife riding her bike, it doesn't handle the high speeds for long distances as well so I have to take a different (actually more fun) route. This takes more time and with limited number of days, compresses it even more. I have gone thru ON and looked at schedules and seminars that would be interesting but it doesn't really give the whole scheme of things going on and she says she will camp if it isn't too hot, so that will help a little with time. :banghead:banghead

Welcome David and Wife:)

Just one CAUTION! These rallies are very "addictive", so come along, soak up all the "MOA has to offer:). Its a very cool time, even in Summer heat:). We find ways to chill and this years site seems to have no shortage of air conditioned indoor activities. Roam outside a while, then indoors for some cool, then whatever, maybe even the "mist'er" set up somewhere, as last year it got lots of attention. Randy.....A POOL would be really nice, as in FredricksburgTX Rally, on site:). I vote yes for pools:). Randy:thumb

Randy, I distinctly remember voting Steve Staggs as the official GS Giant Pool Man this year. :brow

Yeah:)

BIG one I hope:). I'm not even on the GSGiant list yet, BAD me! I'm having a hard time retiring from my career, wanting so badly. I WILL get there, but time is killing me. I don't know how many rememeber Fredriscksburg National Rally, but that Olympic Swimming Poll was to DIE for:). Only one we've ever had like that. GO BACK! Maybe the Ozarks can provide a neat swimming hole:)..Us GSGiants are like elephants in mud, need cooling off, love water,LOL. Randy:thumb

I've been to all of the rallies since the 2006 event in Vermont - I agree they are addictive. The first one was more of a "what's it all about" and stayed in a hotel, but after that I've camped at everyone, volunteered multiple times, met hundreds of people, and enjoyed every rally. I now get there early to volunteer.

You mentioned your kids "were not going to be a problem". My daugter has attended most of the rallies with me. At age 15 she attended Camp Gears. If your kids are old enough and have an interest in motorcycles, they would have a great time. However it is held on the Tuesday and Wednesday prior to the rally which would not suit you this time - but there is always next year. :)

Kids

I've been to all of the rallies since the 2006 event in Vermont - I agree they are addictive. The first one was more of a "what's it all about" and stayed in a hotel, but after that I've camped at everyone, volunteered multiple times, met hundreds of people, and enjoyed every rally. I now get there early to volunteer.

You mentioned your kids "were not going to be a problem". My daugter has attended most of the rallies with me. At age 15 she attended Camp Gears. If your kids are old enough and have an interest in motorcycles, they would have a great time. However it is held on the Tuesday and Wednesday prior to the rally which would not suit you this time - but there is always next year. :)

I worked with the kids from Camp Gears last year doing stage set up. What a great group of young people. I was glad we had all that young muscle in the heat. They all worked their butts off with never a complaint.

By all means bring your kids; we need the labor.

I like getting there TUESDAY afternoon... lots of things to get busy at, people to
see & talk with. Explore town & get the "lay of the land", as they say.
By settle'in earily makes for a less hurried week...& you can be 1st for tires!!!

It really depends...

Like others have said, it's easy to see the vendors and displays in a day. What I didn't count on was seminar attendance. They were quite good, and very interesting, at least to me.

At my first rally, I arrived on a Wednesday evening, but left on Saturday morning because I was meeting my wife for a concert. I left satisfied that I had accomplished pretty much everything that I wanted to. I also camped on the grounds, which worked out very well.

I met some new friends, I met some people in 3D that I'd only met online, it was a wonderful social experience.

Back