• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Email From BMW Customer Service

R

robert.bantly

All: received this earlier this week - too busy to post till now...

Dear Robert,

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding our delivery hold and voluntary recall announcement of certain 2012 model year BMW S 1000 RR motorcycles. Affected motorcycles were manufactured between September 1, 2011 and April 10, 2012, and may experience a loosening of the connecting rod bolts.

As a result of a manufacturing process error, the bolts could loosen and fall out. If this happens, the engine may fail, seize, and/or leak oil. Affected motorcycles that are still in BMW or dealer inventory will be inspected and corrected prior to customer delivery.

Owners of potentially affected motorcycles will receive a notification letter via First Class mail beginning in June to request the scheduling of a service appointment with an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer to have the recall performed. The connecting rod bolts will be replaced and installed with a thread locking agent.

BMW remains committed to maintaining the highest level of excellence. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience should your motorcycle be affected.

The BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Time. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Now that this is out, wonder if I could cajole the repair early with a refund...???? :nono

RR Recall

I contacted BMW Canada and got an email saying parts were coming this week to Toronto. My dealer told me he has some of the pieces and is hoping for the rest in a day or two. I have a track day on June 11 and hope to have the bike back together by then.

I'm crossing my fingers.

I would have expected US shipments to be faster than ours, as our volume would be less.

I would say BMW has not handled this well at all. We have all learned more about the issue from MOA than from BMW. Really no news in over 2 months!

Missed my track day with rr but...

So I rode my 1200GSA - see thread linked.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=60844

Day wasn't a total loss, and I learned my GS, which I use primarily for everything is very, very competent at the track. Hardly had to get out of the seat to use all the tires. Also learned the track fairly well at a moderate pace, that'll be good for the next one with the RR. Another effect of track riding since I started last year is my yen for more spirited backroad rides has been fading to more gentle ones that focus on control, line, smoothness, etc.

Day wasn't a total loss, and I learned my GS, which I use primarily for everything is very, very competent at the track. Hardly had to get out of the seat to use all the tires. Also learned the track fairly well at a moderate pace, that'll be good for the next one with the RR. Another effect of track riding since I started last year is my yen for more spirited backroad rides has been fading to more gentle ones that focus on control, line, smoothness, etc.

I am willing to bet these "more gentle" rides are actually faster, but when you concentrate on good form and control, it doesn't seem so frenetic as before. A German friend likes to say you should always "ride on four inches" though he has a German word for a unit of measure that is close to an inch. When you get bike placement and gear selection right, the speed just seems to follow of it's own accord.

German Inch

The German word for the English unit of measure known as the inch is "Zoll". So "Vier Zoll" is four inches.

Kent

:buds

Hopefully you'll resist the urge to acquire a dedicated track bike and seek out new and challenging motorsports parks to spend countless hours (and dollars) to shave .1 of a second off your lap time.
:thumb

Too Late...

Too late - already have a track notebook :violin

Fixed!

By Louisville BMW - rode home in 100+ degree heat and no leaking oil! Taking out tomorrow EARLY so I don't die from the heat and getting some post-breakin miles (mostly for me since I haven't been able to ride for a while) to get ready for VIR. Also to make sure all is right before track day...

Back