• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

k1600gtl Tire life

M

murfs79

This will probably open a can of worms but what are people seeing on tire wear on this model? I understand Load and types of roads matter just trying to get a idea. I have 2k on mine so far in 3 weeks and going on a 2k trip and then a 1k trip and want to plan on tires if needed. I keep checking mine and after 2k I seem to be getting pretty good wear better than my LT but when they go down hill they go fast. thanks for your help

I have 1200 miles on my GT now and I am already concerend about tire wear. It shows signs of the "typical" for Metzelers "trapezoidical" wear pattern that I experienced with this tire brand on my K1 and on my RT.

If you have OE Metzlers, plan on a replacement -- there have been reports of rear cords showing in less that 5K miles.

The Michelin PR3's I put on my GTL have 3.5K miles on them, and are not wearing nearly as quickly as the OE Z8's.

I had Z8's on my GT and I replaced the rear with a PR3 last week when the cords began to show after 5,500 miles.

FWIW, I was aware of short life spans from the Z8's so I paid extra attention to tire pressures. Also, Im 300 lbs and put about 50/50 of interstate and twisty riding on the tires.

My z-8's showed steel belts at 3475 and it appeared very rapidly < 140 miles. Michelin pr3's are working on 6k now and look to have 1-2k left in them.

Fwiw

If you have OE Metzlers, plan on a replacement -- there have been reports of rear cords showing in less that 5K miles.

The Michelin PR3's I put on my GTL have 3.5K miles on them, and are not wearing nearly as quickly as the OE Z8's.

+1, Gunny; my OE Metzler Z8's were GONE at 5.5K miles, Michelin PR3's are looking good!

This will probably open a can of worms but what are people seeing on tire wear on this model? I understand Load and types of roads matter just trying to get a idea. I have 2k on mine so far in 3 weeks and going on a 2k trip and then a 1k trip and want to plan on tires if needed. I keep checking mine and after 2k I seem to be getting pretty good wear better than my LT but when they go down hill they go fast. thanks for your help

You didn't say which OEM tire your bike has and the experience has been different for the bikes rolling on 'stones vs. Metzlers. The Metzlers seem to be prone to cupping more so than the 'stones and they are designed in a manner that makes it a bit difficult to judge how much tire you've got left - particularly if your riding style wears them disproportionally in the middle. I've got 3,000 miles on my K16GT/Bridgestones and they've worn very evenly front and rear but I spend very little time on the slab and ride it like a sport bike. They've got a little life left but I'm going to swap them before a 1,500 mile ride I'll be taking a few weeks.

In general, it's a very heavy, very powerful bike and that's going to be harder on the tires even if you're a granny that only rides it in Rain Mode to church on sundays. If you ride it hard, it's a tire eating machine.

Just replaced my OE Metzeler Z8s. With 7500 miles on them, they were worn and misshapen. They still had tread on them but I wasn't going to sweat the safety of continuing to run them. Replaced them with Bridgestone BT023 GTs for an excellent price.

tire wear

Thanks for all the great info I have 2200 on my k1600gtl with the Z8's on it with some uneven wear showing but not bad looks like by the info the mich 3's will be the way to go from here on out. hopefully not a road repair with the 2k trip coming up. thanks all

I have about 3,000 miles on my Metz's and I noticed today for the first time that when I am going straight down the road I catch some vibration through the bike. When I lean left or right the vibration goes away. Guess it must be the way the Metz's are wearing.

Rick H.

k1600 gtl tire life

I had Z8 on mine 2,800 miles cords showing on the rear. The front is being replace this week end 3,800 mi. going on a trip next week. Replacing with PR3s.
I hope they do better.

7k mikes on my OEM Z8's and they 'look' like they could go another thou or 2. I won't chance it, my wife and I are riding to Nat'l next month so I want new skins for the trip. I already bought replacement Z8's. I'll change them myself using my 5 year old Harbor Freight, still going strong after 30 tire changes, crappy machine. :dance

I don't think the fast OE tire wear is a necessarily just because of the tire. I think when the owner quits playing with the bike, showing it off and exploring the performance, the tire life will improve.

I don't think the fast OE tire wear is a necessarily just because of the tire. I think when the owner quits playing with the bike, showing it off and exploring the performance, the tire life will improve.

You say "showing it off" and I say using it as the designer intended. If you're going to replace tires with inch plus wide wanker strips on them why buy a sport/touring bike? Just buy a touring bike. I didn't spend mid-20's for this bike to obsess over the life of a disposable item like tires and brake pads.

Ride it hard, take good care of it, and replace stuff that needs replacing before it increases the risks of your riding, says I.

Wes

P.S. I put the PR3's on my K16GT and for a weekend in the twisties, I ran them down at 38 psi. With that configuration I used all but about the last millimeter of tire on the edges with rarely scraping anything but the toe of my riding boot. This bike has great ground clearance.

You're on to something. I ride with someone that chews through tires but he is very aggressive from the stop and very aggressive to the stop. He also dead-heads a lot on the interstate. All of these things drive him to the cords on his tires -- down the middle. This is what all tires do under these conditions...the difference is that the Z8s don't warn you before they go because of where the wear indicators are located. Just since posting my earlier email I put the new tires on and went for a ride. I kept it tame to scrub them but boy they feel good, but then this is to be expected when going from worn out to new. As an aside, I almost damaged my TPS not paying attention. So a word to those that work on their own bike, be careful. I never had an issue with my GSA (my only other experience with TPS) but I did with the GTL. I have no idea why. :scratch

The gt on the end recived Z8's around 6K.OEM BT's come off.

112_0028.jpg

tire life

I have 2011 r1200rt with 7600 miles on them, and need tires,and bmw calls the gtl and the rt touring bike,

K1600 GT new 6/10/11.
14k mi so far. This Bike chews up tires! It's the price you pay for a 700 lb motorcycle that carves like a superbike. Gotta pay to play

On 4th set of rubber.

BT's - 3K max front went first. Least favorite tire so far

2 sets of Z8's - 4k and done, Fronts go first

on PR3's now - looks like it will make 4k also no more.

PR3's in my opinion, stickiest and best carving canyons. Better in rain.

PR3's installed on another 1600GT.

To bad we found bent front rim, I hate to be the guy who gives bad new to costumer.
Water pump leak is another story (this issue should be covered under warranty)

2012-10-31124502.jpg

As already posted in another thread: 2012 K1600GT, right now at 5,600+ miles, 2012 riding season over. Still on good front and rear tire ( I am running 42PSI) and the original water pump with no problems.

Back