• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

California BMW's any different?

Bunker

I was looking on Ebay (bad idea) and saw a bike in CA that might be of interest. That got me thinking: are the BMW's sold in California any different from the rest of the U.S.? Different emissions controls or anything like that?

Tim

There are 49 state cars and bikes. However, BMW bikes meet CA environmental standards.
In terms of used bikes, they tend to have little or no rust on them. Depending on local conditions, and that they were actually from the local area.
I consider ebay a very poor source.
There are many other good and reliable sources. And you have to go and check anything before you buy it.
dc

Thanks, David. So... the Beemers sold in CA are no different from the models sold in the rest of the U.S., correct?

As far as sources, I'm familiar with Craigslist and Cycle Trader. Are there other sources you recommend?

Tim

Tim - FWIW I've sold two bikes on eBay, a KLR and a V-Strom. In both cases the buyer got a good bike at a fair price. So in addition to Craigslist and Cycle Trader, I'd keep an eye on eBay. I think you'll be able to tell a good listing from a deceptive one, particularly for BMW's. And to confirm, CA BMW's are identical to 49-state BMW's emissions-wise.

I don't like the idea of ebay.
I would recommend the forums, where the seller is known on the forum.
And then check it out yourself, or have someone in the area check it out.
I think the big difference would be rust and corrosion. Unless the seller is directly on the waterfront, on the beach, where the salt air has got to the bike.
I think if it's a good bike, it will go fast.
dc

The operative phrase is 'depending on local conditions'. Most anything inland will be the 'unrusted' variety. Most anything in my neck of the woods (or coast as it were...) will have (lots of) corrosion..... As I recall, even the '85's were all imported meeting CA emission standards. We have a special tag on the frame, but otherwise they are the same.

Yeah, yeah, and I thought that was you farming flatlanders where the bike would run on gasoline or cow .....
dc

California has one emission law that only a few other states share:
Fumes from the fuel tank can not be emitted into the atmosphere. That's why CA vehicles must have their fuel tank vent going into a carbon canister.
I am not sure that BMWs sold in other states have that.

I am only going by the hearsay, the folklore. And the folklore involves what they call the "canistercktomy". Which I understood to be a nationwide surgical procedure, but I could be wrong.
dc

A link which seems to indicate that it is non North American bikes that don't have the cannister.
http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/ccremoval.html

My understanding is that BMW never sold "49-state bikes and California bikes" - only 50-state bikes.

Canister removal is a personal choice, and may be a felony (modification of emissions equipment; an authorized dealer will NOT do it for you) - but so far, they only really look at that in specific counties in Arizona.

Some fruits can be successfully fermented, but we still haven't come up with a way to run on nuts and flakes...

Paul
The only way a bike could be a 50 state bike, just like the only way a car could be a 50 state car would be if it meets California emissions standards.
There are a few other states that also now have some requirements, I don't know which states.
A 49 state bike or car cannot be sold in California and probably would not be done. A dealer doesn't want to lose his license.
The cannisterecktomy is common, and indeed a 'personal choice' but probably could have no legal consequence in the 49 states. It ain't required. I do not believe that is a federal requirement. If it is, I think the most would be a misdemeanor.
In CA I would suspect that it could be a misdemeanor, I suspect not a felony, but since there is no inspection, no smog check, no nothing, how would anyone ever know? And no federal smog test, nor inspection.
I just saw a post today recommending doing a cannisterecktomy. Along the lines of 'get that done.' Like it's necessary or something.
dc

If you're interested in a far away bike, have someone from MOA take a look at it for you.

David- you are welcome to your opinion, but the reality is that there is not a thiing wrong with eBay.
I have bought and sold several bikes thru it, have used it for years for hundreds of transactions for 10s of thousands of $. only 1 transaction was bad, and that cost me a whopping $10. do your due diligence, and it's as about as reliable as any store.

I just don't see any need for a middle man. I like to deal direct. I don't see any need for a middle man to hold the money either.
Real estate? Escrow? Sure.
But a bike? You put the money in my hand, and I put the title in yours.
Or vice versa if I am buying.
I'm all in favor of fly n buy n ride it home. If it's the right bike. Call up the owner and see what it sounds like. Get someone in the area to look at it for you. Then go.
dc

Here's the deal. When the first 200 K-100's came to the US in September 1984 they were 49 state legal bikes. None of these were sold in California. After the first 200 K-100s came a 50 state version was introduced in early 1985. Btw, those 49 state bikes shared the same state of tune as the European models and had a nice top end rush and seven more ponies the later 50 state bikes lacked.
The differences between the two are cam duration (284 degrees intake and exh for the 49 state bikes vs 240 degrees intake and exh for 50 state bikes), the routing of evaporative emissions through a one way valve from the tank to the engine block ( ! ) and a restricted fuel opening with a spring loaded flap that thankfully is easily removed. From then on I am not aware of a single BMW model that was not 50 state legal from model introduction. Swiss K-100's, at least initially, had 256 degrees of cam timing. If you buy replacement cams for your old K-100 today, BMW only sells the 284 degree cams.
Prior to the K bike, 1981 and later /7 models sold in the US had lower compression and softer cam timing than European models and they had something called "Pulse Air" pulling crankcase vapors into the exhaust stream to be burned. '77 and '78 R-100S and RS models could still come to the US with 9.0 to 1 compression, Sport cams and 40 mm exhausts. Boy did those bikes run nice!
If my memory serves BMW currently sells bikes in the same state of tune world wide. All their bikes meet everyone's emissions standards. This simplifies production.

Wow. There's some good technical detail.
I think also some of the auto manufacturers are going to the simplified production as well, rather than building several different models for sale in different markets.
Maybe not at the global level, but at the national level.
dc

Your only problem would be bringing a bike/car into California, without that funny california emissions sticker could be difficult to register

Your only problem would be bringing a bike/car into California, without that funny california emissions sticker could be difficult to register

The vehicle code permits non-CARB cars and bikes to be registered in California if they have at least 7500 mils on them. The law was written this way to prevent California car dealers from selling a car just over the border in Nevada to avoid paying California sales taxes on the full value of a new car (believe me, many dealers pulled this scam, delivering cars just feet over the state line, especially motor homes which are quite expensive) and to prevent customers from buying non compliant new cars out of state.
There are a couple of other exceptions for people who were legitimately residing out of state and who move to California and establish residence here, and for California residents who, while working out of state, lose their car, bike or truck due to an accident or theft and have to replace it immediately so they can continue to work and then return to California. The state also dings you an additional fee to register a non compliant vehicle here the first time.
It is less of a factor than you might think. Most cars and bikes are sold as 50 state legal vehicles (Harley Davidsons are an exception). Car dealers and rental car companies basically demand this so they can move cars around dealerships as customer demand dictates and not worry about having to only send CARB legal cars to be sold in California. I'm sure Harley wishes they had manufactured all of the Street Rods as 50-state legal bikes so they could move the few remaining left over '06 and '07 Street Rods lingering in places like Pennsylvania to California dealers where they might actually sell. When I bought my cousin's '93 Audi a couple of summers ago it was already CARB legal so there was no drama registering it here.

Back