• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Choice of Windscreens

modarin9

Fear is the Mind Killer
I have been comparing windscreens from Parabellum and Cee Baily to replace the stock windscreen on my 07 F8ST. This to ease some slab riding to/from Sedalia. Any comments with either is appreciated. I see the Parabellum had additional attachment points but is higher priced. I am looking at the tallest (26 or 27 inches). Thanks.

windshield for F800ST 2008

Just installed the 4th windshield (counting the original) on my wife's ST . I think the first was a cee bailey something or other don't remember, no good, next try was the tallest parabellum, worked kinda good after adding 1/4 inch spacers on top mounting points to stand it up straighter. This was with the lowest of the 3 seats made for the ST, was still a bit noisy but she put 10 or 15 thousand miles on it. Last fall put the tallest seat on for more comfort which made her too tall for the windshield, she's 5'9" anyway.

Just installed aeroflow with madstad windshield bracket, amazing, totally adjustable, very quiet, can still see over it, bought it used for half price.. took:dance it on a 600 mile test ride. I think we have a winner.

Hope this helps

John

Windshield Suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions.

After further evaluation it sounds like the aeroflow is the best choice for me due to its height. I am 6'4" and their site actually quotes that height for their tallest windshield. There are quite pricey in comparison to the others but if the windshield will provide quite and comfort then its worth it. I don't like the look of the madstad wingnuts on the back so will look to find something less obtrusive looking.

Now where can I find it for half price???

f800 windshield

the madstad didn't come with wing nuts, allen head bolts with nylok nuts, i think they use the wing nuts for demo purpose. It's a bit fiddly to adjust but worth the effort.

John

F800ST Madstad Windshield

I'm 6'4" tall and the wind noise on my F800ST was making me deaf. I've been thru a short V-Stream, a tall V-Stream and another tall screen that someone gave me. None of them worked to reduce the noise. I heard about the adjustable Madstad for my size and gave it a try. It was perfect... I should have spent the extra money and bought it first.

I have been comparing windscreens from Parabellum and Cee Baily to replace the stock windscreen on my 07 F8ST. This to ease some slab riding to/from Sedalia. Any comments with either is appreciated. I see the Parabellum had additional attachment points but is higher priced. I am looking at the tallest (26 or 27 inches). Thanks.

I chose the Cee Bailey, very happy with it. Except for its ability to collect bugs, it stays pretty clean.

Windscreen choice is a subjective matter based on factors like your size, riding position, helmet design, speed and comfort level.

It's a PIA to choose the right one because all of these parameters have different set-point for each rider so going by other's recommendation won't always get you to the right screen for you.

It's also an expensive addition to your bike, especially when you have to buy 2 or 3 different models/brands to find the 'right' one for you.

My F650 special edition came with the taller (but not tallest) F800 windscreen so I decided to try a Laminar Lip add-on. It's adjustable using the velcro lock tabs so I've been able to experiment with it at different heights. It's also around $85, so what the heck.

It works for me, I'm 5'10" but I can't say the it's perfect. There's still some turbulence at highway speeds, I can ride with the shield up and the wind coming into my helmet is now a gentler breeze instead of the windstorm feeling I had without it. Also, because it's not very large, like some of the Parabellums, it doesn't act like a sail in gusty cross winds, nor does it completely cut any airflow on hot days.

In the rain, well, my face shield isn't protected. Would any other screen work better? I suppose that's what the BMW optional face shield wipers are for...

Good luck in your choice. I've hear the Touratech clip on windshield adapter works pretty well too.

I have tried the Double Bubble, CalSci, and Madstad. None of them have worked for me. The Madstad came the closest. I can get the air to hit me just above the eyes. If I slouch it almost works, but not quite. I am 6'-4" with a 34" inseam.

I've been reading this post with interest, because I, too, experienced noise with the stock screen. However, it sounds (no pun) like most replacements are a kind of compromise at best. Personally, I like the stock screen look, and hesitate to install a tall screen for fear of spoiling the sleek look of the bike (2012 F800ST/blue/granite/black...nice!). However, I value my hearing, so earplugs seem to help there. I don't really experience "buffetting" (I'm 5'10") with the stock screen, but most of my riding is canyons at speeds under 80 mph.

Still...I'm looking at this issue, because even with plugs, some noise is evident...and a little annoying. Hope to read more here about this...thanks.

Madstad -bugs?

I'm using the CalSci shield. Works fine, no buffeting. I'm 5'8" and the
wind hits me at nose level. It's smooth airflow though so no buffeting.
The problem is bugs. I always end up with a face shield full. I need the
air to go over my head. The CalSci is also noisy; seems to be from the
wind hitting the top of my helmet.

I test rode an R1200RT and with the electrically adjustable windshield,
I could tune out the noise and buffeting completely. The Madstad looks
like it's adjustable that way too. Can anyone say if it can indeed tune
out the noise and buffeting?

Back