• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Spare keys on trip - what do you do?

I had the luggage and the bike all keyed to one key. I keep an extra key hidden on the frame secured by a Velcro strip. Invisible, always handy. Works well.

My dealer was really cool and rekeyed the cases for me to match the ignition. It's actually pretty easy to remove the lock if you have the original key for the luggage.

Spare Key - Wear It Around Your Neck

+1 on carrying the spare plastic key on a lanyard around your neck. That's what I do. You don't have to worry about it falling off the bike, being locked in the top case, or remembering where you put it, since it is always with you.

I keep the spare metal key at home. The worst that could happen if I lose the lanyard key is that my wife would overnight the spare metal key to me.

Bill

Spare key on a lanyard around my neck. Probably will never need it until the one time I don't bring it.

If we're travelling together, Diann carries the spare key to my bike with her, and I carry hers.

If I'm travelling alone, I keep the spare key in the storage bag that slides into the main frame tube on my bike (airhead).

regards, Rod.

One spare key in my jacket pocket. Another in the front compartment on the RT. I'd have to break into it or disassemble the fairing.

At one time, I bought a spare-key velcro pouch and velcroed (sp?) it in place on the gas tank near the steering tube. It eventually came loose. Probably a combination of engine heat and dirt.

I keep a spare key in my wallet. Duck tape keeps it from falling out. However in Sedalia, I lost my wallet, and cell phone in my tent. The same day I lost my key at Walmart. It seems when you are juggling 3- 4 things at the same things it is easy to lose one.
:banghead

Back