• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Spare keys on trip - what do you do?

A big, intimidating friend of mine always left his key in the ignition and hence no need to take spares. On one trip up North, possibly to Alaska, he returned to his bike in Yellowknife to find his bike but someone had walked off with his key. Believe that it cost him $100 for a locksmith to create a new one.

To me a spare key (wherever you chose to store it) is insurance that if needed, should save you a lot of grief.

Each of our bike's has a spare hiding in the same general spot... spare EWS keys and locksmiths for the other bikes may be many miles/states away.Don't want the unwanted surprise on something I CAN control.

Before I started doing that I misplaced my key at the Sipapu NM Rally one year. After searching the grounds more than once and losing my sense of humor...Paul Glaves walked up and picked my key off my GS's metal footpeg, and with his usual jolly delivery asked "this it?":banghead

Helen though she dropped one in the four inch thick carpet of wet/muddy leaves one time...found it later stuck to the bottom of her magnetic tankbag she carried out of the rain earlier:scratch funny story after the fact as they usually are.

For those who have never misplaced one...good on you:wave

I sew the plastic one into the inside pocket in my AeroStich.. since I never get on the bike without it, that means I'll never be without a spare key.

all my vehicles have a planted spare key. securely attached and very well hidden. a pita to get at to prevent casual use.

I carry spare set for ignition and disk lock in pocket of Camelback on trips only. Around town, can call spouse or friend for ride to get spare set. Haven't needed to use either method yet, but comforting to know I could if needed!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Spare keys

Back in the early 1960's I kept a spare key plus a $5 bill inside my headlight. Today the spare key is there only now it's 2-$20 bills in a sealed plastic bag inside my headlight. Bob Childers

I keep a second key in the right-hand pocket of my jacket. It's the "pocket-behind-the pocket" - one of the pockets I never use.
One time I put my regular key in my pants pocket, then put on the Roadcrafter and, of course, couldn't find the key. "No problem", I thought after giving it up for lost. "I'll use the spare". It had worked its way down into the far deep reaches of the jacket pocket so far that I couldn't find it either.
I wouldn't say that panic set in but I did call the local dealer. While waiting for them to show up, I found the first key, then the second.
I never told anyone about that incident until now.
Now I'm embarrassed.

Since Dave and I generally go on trips together, he has my spare and I have his. I also keep the flat keys for both of mine in my wallet.

So simple and fool proof

Key on a chain from a hardware store around my neck with the spare key. Last thing off at night and first thing on in the morning. Never without my key. Simple.

I utilize 3M double sided trim tape cut into 1/2" squares and tape the heads of the spare keys to the inside of one of the triangular black (removable) side panels. Keys have been there for years and the tape doesn't give them up easily.

What happens if the topcase key is a flat key and I lose that and the ignition key has not been rekeyed to fit the case

any suggestions on rekeying the Topcase for my ignition key

oh ya my Bike is a 2005 Rt

When I bought my RT, I had the dealer insure that the ignition key works all the locks.
When I'm a thousand miles (1600 km to you, eh) from home I need to think only about 2 things: having fun and ONE key!

I carry both spare keys with me when I go on the road. One in my left pocket clipped to a belt loop and the other in my overnight bag which I take in the motel room with me. I've never lost a key but have watched others in misery when they lost a key without a spare. You are in a hard spot when this happens as it takes days to replace a BMW key.

When on a trip with SWMBO, my spare EWS key goes in her trunk, and her spare key goes on mine. I figure that if we ever both lose our keys at the same time, we deserve to be stranded! :laugh

When on my own -- I need to figure that out, as I've decided to make Sedalia, and will be going solo. I must say I like Ted's idea of a zipper pull, but I'd have to be careful to not lock my 'stich up in a saddlebag!

My own semi-embarassing story, from which I learned the value of an on-bike spare key: On Sunday morning after the '09 Tennessee MOA rally, I was in a great mood, packing up the tent/gear/bike. Got all done, and realized I had lost my key. I spent at least an hour combing the grass, walking down the hill and back up to the lost-and-found desk, etc. -- basically checked every place I could think of.

After finally giving up and getting on the phone with my wife to start arranging for an overnight shipment of the spare key down to me (*not* a happy camper by this time), as I'm talking to her my eye fell directly on the key. As some of you have probably guessed by now, I had an R12RT -- the key was safely in the seat lock, well out of view under the taillight! :banghead:banghead:banghead

I instantly learned why experienced R12RT owners say "Lost your key? Check the seat lock FIRST." That's actually helped my find my missing key in my own garage a couple times since then!

This is what i do... i realized after reading this thread that i don't have a spare key, and contact a dealer to get one...

on my trip last weekend i kept it with me, separate from the other...

so thanks for reminding me...

Back