• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Spare keys on trip - what do you do?

BMW Triumphant

Ed Kilner #176066
My big trip starts next Friday morning!

A few years ago, at a campground, I found my ignition key on the ground. Did not even know I had lost it out of my pocket. Spare key was at home... Horseshoes you know where.

Since then, I wear a loop of string around my neck and the key goes there.

My trip will take me from Toronto to west coast via US and back via Canada, so I better take the spare.

Have a spare electronic key, alarm dongle, and a flat plastic key.

What to take? Where to keep it (them)?

What do you do?

I keep my spare key in my zippered pocket of the tank bag of my R12RT. On my airhead, I keep it under the seat since I don't lock the seat.

I just keep track of the key. As long as I know where it is, I don't have a problem. And I never use valet parking with the motorcycle.
dc

I carry spare keys to my bike and Voni's bike, including keys to the bags on my bike whick use a different key - in the topcase on my bike. And I carry the spare key to the topcase separately in my billfold.

When I'm on the road, my riding jacket's always on, with me, or locked in a motel room. Thus, I carry the plastic spare key in an interior, velcro-closed pocket of my riding jacket. On those rare occasions when I leave the jacket cabled to the bike, I take the spare key (and the credit card in the wrist pocket) with me.

Use some duct-tape to attach your spare key to the back of your license plate. Or, a zip tie to attach the spare under some of the fairing, or in another inconspicuous place. Keep the other keys in a side case, or under your seat.

I keep the spare set of keys in the riding jacket all the time, along with my passport in case I feel like straying into Canada.

I have a complete set of spare keys kept in a zipped pocket in my touring, not riding, pants. As well, I keep one flat key for each bike, under the insole of each boot (R key in the right boot, K in the left). When just riding in my own area, I never take the zipped set of with me, but if need be, I can boot up a bike, should the main set of keys be misplaced.

I rode through the southern states last year to California and back with a rider who had a spare set of keys, as always, safely stored at home in Ontario. :banghead Luckily he never needed them.

Having once lost a set of keys, I like to keep spares nearby.

Great, my big summer trip starts in 5 days, now I have one more thing to worry about...spare keys!:scratch

Spare Key

My BMW came with two standard keys and a plastic emergency key. Recognizing that there is a chance that I could lose my standard key (and that I don't carry the second standard key with me), I have duct-taped the plastic emergency key inside the side fairing which keeps it out of sight from anyone that might inspect the motorcycle -- even up close -- but in a location that I could access it in an emergency. In this way, there's no chance of me being stuck in the event that I lose the standard key.

Kent

I keep a flat key with no head, in the seat lock above the tail light.
Only a BMW rider would know what it was.

Ken

I got a spare key holder (similar to the ones realtors use on homes for sale but not quite so heavy duty) at the local home depot. I tucked it inside the fairing of the GS, with the spare flat key and a $20 for emergencies. It's got a combo lock on it and a long-ish covered cable on it so it wraps around a bit of the frame nicely.

I have C belt pouch which I like and works well......

72602341672.jpg

Single key - on the bike...

I had the luggage and the bike all keyed to one key. I keep an extra key hidden on the frame secured by a Velcro strip. Invisible, always handy. Works well.

Having lost a key while traveling and going through the PITA to replace it , I don't leave home without a spare.

Typically i keep it in the same pocket as my wallet in my jacket.

I agree 100%. All my cars have a spare key as well, held in place with those magnetic holders. Very useful. As for my house, I have replaced the front door with a keypad entry system.

As a man who frequently misplaces his keys (at the delight of my wife), I can go weeks without having my keys.

What I have done...

The plastic (electronic though) key is now on my tough nylon string lanyard that will go around my neck.

The spare (real) key and alarm dongle are taped inside a locked hard bag.

Normal key will be in a pocket.

Numer tag is in my wallet.

If this system fails, I should probably give up riding (and most other things too).

footpeg rubber

on my R110RT, I keep a plain key ( w/o the fancy plastic handle) under the passenger footpeg rubber. it's a flat-out beeyatch to get out, so I figure it's safe.

IDK if other models besides oilheads have fiootpegs that allow you to slip a key under.

But I'm kinda diggin' the seat lock idea mentioned above.

I ziptie a spare (flat, not folding) key to the big inside pocket zipper pull of my Aerostich. Doubles as a handy zipper pull for gloved hands.

I also have a flat spare key in a small ziploc baggie taped to the underside of the lid of the manual compartment under the seat. With 4" wide black tape it is secured, protected and even looking right at it pretty invisible, I even forget it is there. I use a ziploc because it also has a double-sided and folded up photocopy page with my drivers license, registration, insurance info, emergency info, etc.

I figure it is insurance against that great story about the guy who loses his key in the middle of nowhere, is thrilled he brought a spare, then loses that one too... ;) I figure if I ever do lose my key I will use the zipper spare to unlock the seat (and fight the urge just to cut that ziptie.)

Back